Coal Stove Theft

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Sat. Dec. 03, 2011 12:39 pm

On Friday I picked up a Crane Coal Cooker #44. Got it home unloaded it on the driveway and this morning it was GONE. Stolen in the night. The stove was 10 feet from my door and 50 feet from the street. What a bummer as I was so happy to get the stove and start burning coal.

The stove was left in a spot that no one could confuse it as being on the curb. The thieves didn't make a sound either. Trust me our dog can hear a mouse pissing on cotton in the snow.

Today I was going to clean it up and get it installed.

If anyone knows someone who has a Crane #44 for sale please let me know. (or other very small unit)

Thanks!
mark

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Sat. Dec. 03, 2011 1:01 pm

Sucks.

Thanks for reminding me how desperate our society has become. :(.

If things don't change in 2-3 years they'll be walking around your (our) backyard(s) at night stealing anything not chained up.

ug

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Sat. Dec. 03, 2011 1:04 pm

One Dollar, for ID purposes , describe any damage or marks on the stove to the Police , then watch Craigslist for it to show up.

Machinist
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-2
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: None

Post by Machinist » Sat. Dec. 03, 2011 1:04 pm

Check scrap yards for the stolen Crane Coal Cooker #44!

ValterBorges

Post by ValterBorges » Sat. Dec. 03, 2011 2:31 pm

I see a couple guys at the dunkin d. in meriden he just drives around collecting scrap. Wouldnt be surprised if someone that does the same just mistook it for trash.

Like machinist said.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Sat. Dec. 03, 2011 2:52 pm

Valter

The location of the stove was such that no one could have thought it was scrap. Plus the theft happend after Midnight. I have noted and written down everything I could about the stove Uglysquirrel will check more scrap yards but I suspect it won't be worth the effort.

One thing is for sure we are not going to cold because of this. Still have my Morso Squirrel and the Soapstone and about 3 years worth of well seasoned wood and 2 more to be cut and split. Still it is sad what some people will do for what.. $20.00 perhaps in scrap? I would feel better if the person(s) who stole the stove were going to use it to heat their house... But I seriously doubt it...

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Dec. 03, 2011 2:56 pm

Mistook my ass--this society needs to quit makin excuses for the thieving SOB's that got no business in the mans driveway--PERIOD :mad: I'm glad the world don't come to an end when people hear a gun shot out this way--PS--quit making excuses for your lame dog too ;) --get another one. mouse pissin on a cotton ball. :clap: toothy APPARENTLY NOT :(

ValterBorges

Post by ValterBorges » Sat. Dec. 03, 2011 3:05 pm

My home insurance covers any thing on my property including mowers etc... Hope you have a good agent.

Im with you Fred if it was legal I would have trip mines, laser turrets on the property with a 20 second loud audible recording. " Back the F$$$$$ up. This is your last warning."

CoalUserWannabe

Post by CoalUserWannabe » Sat. Dec. 03, 2011 3:25 pm

I am surprised none of you guys thought who the culprit could be
Santa Clause went out looking for coal , instead he found a coal stove !

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Sat. Dec. 03, 2011 3:27 pm

I had a similar experience with a "vintage" Southbend restaurant stove taken from my yard. The thing must have weighed at least 600 lb - either someone came with equipment or a couple of helpers. Not a lot of cash value because of its age and condition. I never would have believed it until it happened.

Mike

ValterBorges

Post by ValterBorges » Sat. Dec. 03, 2011 3:33 pm

Put something else hollow out there for bait and hook up a wireless night cam.

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/night-vision-se ... meras.html

crazy4coal

Post by crazy4coal » Sat. Dec. 03, 2011 3:49 pm

Get another stove and tie the dog to it!

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Sat. Dec. 03, 2011 3:51 pm

About 15 years ago I pulled an old Franklin stove (replica, not the real McCoy) out of my rental that I was remodeling and set it on the back patio along with the stove pipe and some one swiped it all. They stole a whole stack of new roofing shingles that were sitting right next to the stove too. You couldn't even see it from the driveway or road. People just drive around looking for anything they can take. Vacant homes seem to attract them too.

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Sat. Dec. 03, 2011 4:50 pm

Or how about the low lifes who stole downed copper power lines in CT during that October storm, the out of state workers told me that they or the local utility did'nt anticipate the long lengths of wire they had to replace instead of a simple joint. They told me where it was cut along the downed line was suggestive of a guy standing in the back of a pickup.

Wonder if this showed up in the final CT utlity response report after I called the governor's office ? Likely not, after all, we would'nt want to even hint at the Polly Purebread reputation of our fine Connecticut citizen's , would we?

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Dec. 03, 2011 6:48 pm

I have been alert around my area lately. There are many vacant, boarded up houses due to foreclosures. The house right across from me is one of them. So far the porch lights and anything that can be taken has been stripped off of it. Our society is breaking down and anything that can be grabbed is fair game to these theives. We even have had people come and try to steal sections of railroad track at work to haul to a scrapyard.
You don't know who is watching you and your home, just waiting for the moment to rob you blind. It's the world we live in now.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”