Listen to the Words, but Watch the Behavior

Beeman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503

Post by Beeman » Sun. Nov. 13, 2011 8:08 am

Still have not cranked up the Hitzer just yet due to warmer weather than usual and being out of town each weekend. Next week is one match time!

A recent experience brought a smile to my face. Stopped into a stove shop to pickup some firebricks. Great display of many types of wood and pellet stoves. Would be just the kind of place that I would like to work with if I were in the market for that type of stove. Got to talking with the man there and he said pellet stoves are selling quite well. As the conversation went on and I was extolling the virtues of anthracite for heating my home, he revealed he heats his home with a coal boiler burning rice coal. I referred him to this forum. Nuff said.

A few years ago when burning wood to heat my home, I arranged for a chimney cleaning at the end of the season. I mentioned that I was selling my Quadrafire wood stove--great unit by the way--and would be switching to a coal stove. The chimney cleaner, who makes his living removing creosote from wood stove chimneys, mentioned that he heats his house with coal. Warm, cheaper, easier plus blue ladies....

Ashcat
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Blaschak

Post by Ashcat » Sun. Nov. 13, 2011 8:35 am

Good story, and good advice!

I wonder why he doesn't sell coal stoves in his shop? (Maybe you weren't speaking with the owner, though.)

musikfan6

Post by musikfan6 » Sun. Nov. 13, 2011 3:11 pm

Beeman wrote:Still have not cranked up the Hitzer just yet due to warmer weather than usual and being out of town each weekend. Next week is one match time!

A recent experience brought a smile to my face. Stopped into a stove shop to pickup some firebricks. Great display of many types of wood and pellet stoves. Would be just the kind of place that I would like to work with if I were in the market for that type of stove. Got to talking with the man there and he said pellet stoves are selling quite well. As the conversation went on and I was extolling the virtues of anthracite for heating my home, he revealed he heats his home with a coal boiler burning rice coal. I referred him to this forum. Nuff said.

A few years ago when burning wood to heat my home, I arranged for a chimney cleaning at the end of the season. I mentioned that I was selling my Quadrafire wood stove--great unit by the way--and would be switching to a coal stove. The chimney cleaner, who makes his living removing creosote from wood stove chimneys, mentioned that he heats his house with coal. Warm, cheaper, easier plus blue ladies....
My thoughts exactly if I were in his position. I've said it before, but one of the greatest things I enjoy with coal is the peace of mind knowing that I don't have to deal with creosote. That was always my fear when I was burning wood, even if the wood was seasoned.

Beeman

Post by Beeman » Sun. Nov. 13, 2011 9:08 pm

Ashcat,
I will bet that pellet stoves in particular and wood stoves in general are easier to sell to a public not very familiar with any type of stove, least of all a coal stove. Easier to make stove sales with pellet or wood stoves? Wood more intuitively appealing unless someone has sampled the superior coal experience of even, radiant heat; less work in cutting, splitting, aging, transporting, and tending; no creosote to worry about; low cost, etc.

The perennial questions:
isn't coal dirty? (not at all and no more than wood);
doesn't coal pollute? (anything that burns puts some pollution in the air; no smoke with anthracite compared to frequent smoke with a wood fire);
doesn't coal produce greenhouse gases? (and what fuel doesn't?)

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Tue. Nov. 15, 2011 9:27 am

Beeman wrote:Ashcat,
The perennial questions:
isn't coal dirty? (not at all and no more than wood);
doesn't coal pollute? (anything that burns puts some pollution in the air; no smoke with anthracite compared to frequent smoke with a wood fire);
doesn't coal produce greenhouse gases? (and what fuel doesn't?)
My wife fields these questions at work when she is talking to her co-workers about "heating" issues. Most of the women she works with complain about how much their families are paying for heat; some of which heat with electric :shock:.

But you forgot one question: "Isn't coal DANGEROUS?"

My wife said that when her co-worker asked her that she started laughing and responded with, "No more dangerous than any other heating source."

Beeman

Post by Beeman » Wed. Nov. 16, 2011 6:35 am

You are right, Fire, I forgot about DANGEROUS! Dark, dangerous, mysterious, sooty for those who do not know. Fun, warm, inexpensive, and keeping those PA people employed for those who do know.

Bear038

Post by Bear038 » Wed. Nov. 16, 2011 6:48 am

Tell the greenies who are worried about CO2 that the biggest thing they can personally do to cut their own carbon foot print is stop driving (electric cars get their recharge from power plants and many are coal fired, wait maybe I should get that electric car then), stop heating or cooling their homes, stop eating (agriculture produces large amounts of CO2 burning fuels and it takes 10 calories of oil to produce one calorie of food), and finally when they have stopped all that, stop breathing (people exhale CO2 with every breath). Once their body returns to dust, they will no longer release CO2. Problem solved, and then the rest of us can get on with our lives burning coal and breathing.

musikfan6

Post by musikfan6 » Thu. Nov. 17, 2011 1:38 pm

Bear038 wrote:Tell the greenies who are worried about CO2 that the biggest thing they can personally do to cut their own carbon foot print is stop driving (electric cars get their recharge from power plants and many are coal fired, wait maybe I should get that electric car then), stop heating or cooling their homes, stop eating (agriculture produces large amounts of CO2 burning fuels and it takes 10 calories of oil to produce one calorie of food), and finally when they have stopped all that, stop breathing (people exhale CO2 with every breath). Once their body returns to dust, they will no longer release CO2. Problem solved, and then the rest of us can get on with our lives burning coal and breathing.
Good points here. People don't think much about the fact that just "living" creates this stuff. But the fact of the matter is that the good Lord made it so that we don't need to even worry about all this hearsay. In my opinion, the amount of greenhouse gasses produced is so ridiculously small in comparison to the atmosphere, it's like worrying about a couple spots of grease dripped on the clean kitchen floor. People have been burning fuels for thousands of years, and the earth is just as spry as it was back then. The earth is more than capable of taking care of itself, and was designed to do so. Look at the oil spill in the gulf. Yes, it was tragic and shouldn't have happened. Portions of the sea/beach life were harmed, but did you notice that the waters are "back to normal now"? Crude oil occurs naturally, so it is part of the earth. The earth is very capable of dealing with this kind of stuff, and will clean itself up in these cases. I'm not talking about dumping garbage in the ocean or burying tons of trash and waste in the ground. I'm talking about naturally ocurring elements. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but all this environmental preservation garbage is just a smokescreen for the desires of "the powers that be" to get control over people's individual rights and freedoms. They could care less about the environment, carbon footprints, etc. They just want control. Period! I wouldn't be suprised to hear scientists say that it's probably actually GOOD and BENEFICIAL for the earth, to be burning our fuels.

Sorry for the long rant. I just get really put out with people abandoning their common sense in exchange for some ridiculous far-fetched idea that can't even be proved. I will burn coal for as long as I have the ability to do so, and I will encourage others to do the same.

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Thu. Nov. 17, 2011 1:46 pm

musikfan6 wrote:
Bear038 wrote:Tell the greenies who are worried about CO2 that the biggest thing they can personally do to cut their own carbon foot print is stop driving (electric cars get their recharge from power plants and many are coal fired, wait maybe I should get that electric car then), stop heating or cooling their homes, stop eating (agriculture produces large amounts of CO2 burning fuels and it takes 10 calories of oil to produce one calorie of food), and finally when they have stopped all that, stop breathing (people exhale CO2 with every breath). Once their body returns to dust, they will no longer release CO2. Problem solved, and then the rest of us can get on with our lives burning coal and breathing.
Good points here. People don't think much about the fact that just "living" creates this stuff. But the fact of the matter is that the good Lord made it so that we don't need to even worry about all this hearsay. In my opinion, the amount of greenhouse gasses produced is so ridiculously small in comparison to the atmosphere, it's like worrying about a couple spots of grease dripped on the clean kitchen floor. People have been burning fuels for thousands of years, and the earth is just as spry as it was back then. The earth is more than capable of taking care of itself, and was designed to do so. Look at the oil spill in the gulf. Yes, it was tragic and shouldn't have happened. Portions of the sea/beach life were harmed, but did you notice that the waters are "back to normal now"? Crude oil occurs naturally, so it is part of the earth. The earth is very capable of dealing with this kind of stuff, and will clean itself up in these cases. I'm not talking about dumping garbage in the ocean or burying tons of trash and waste in the ground. I'm talking about naturally ocurring elements. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but all this environmental preservation garbage is just a smokescreen for the desires of "the powers that be" to get control over people's individual rights and freedoms. They could care less about the environment, carbon footprints, etc. They just want control. Period! I wouldn't be suprised to hear scientists say that it's probably actually GOOD and BENEFICIAL for the earth, to be burning our fuels.

Sorry for the long rant. I just get really put out with people abandoning their common sense in exchange for some ridiculous far-fetched idea that can't even be proved. I will burn coal for as long as I have the ability to do so, and I will encourage others to do the same.
I've been saying for years that it isn't about saving the planet. Because this planet has been here for an unsurmountable (sp?) period of time before us and it'll be here long after us. It is more about "self preservation" and how to "outsmart" the planet in prolonging our own demise.

Bear038

Post by Bear038 » Thu. Nov. 17, 2011 3:04 pm

Gentlemen, we make a good chorus! Preaching to the chorus is easy.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”