Stoker or Not?

Body Hammer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Petit Godin oval

Post by Body Hammer » Mon. Nov. 07, 2011 7:42 am

Someone help me out here. Just when I think I know a little about coal burning, someone throws a stick in my spokes. On Hitzer's site, they list stoker stoves, but they appear to be handfired furnaces. Mod 55 or 82. They look like a nice furnace. But not a stoker?
I have been looking into the Reading Juniata. Anybody know much about these? I should probably get on the stoker thread.
Last edited by Body Hammer on Mon. Nov. 07, 2011 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

MURDOC1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark 3 Top Flue

Post by MURDOC1 » Mon. Nov. 07, 2011 7:47 am

What exactly are you looking to accomplish??? Stokers are great, but so are hand fired!!! Tell us some more about your plans and you'll get plenty of input for sure...

Body Hammer

Post by Body Hammer » Mon. Nov. 07, 2011 8:02 am

I have a handfired in the basement. But thinking of a stoker for the shop. Something thats designed for moving hot air from the get/go. And has all the convenience of a stoker. With something like a coaltrol thermostat. And a couple of days without tending. Maybe tie it into my existing oil fired furnace.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Nov. 07, 2011 8:09 am

So, you want something you can let roar when you are in the building and set to idle for when you leave for the day, yes???

EasyRay
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Pea,Nut or Stove

Post by EasyRay » Mon. Nov. 07, 2011 8:17 am

Body Hammer wrote:Someone help me out here. Just when I think I know a little about coal burning, someone throws a stick in my spokes. On Hitzer's site, they list stoker stoves, but they appear to appear to be handfired furnaces. Mod 55 or 82. They look like a nice furnace. But not a stoker?
I have been looking into the Reading Juniata. Anybody know much about these? I should probably get on the stoker thread.
Hitzer makes a 608 stoker they introduced last year. From 7,000 to 90,000 btu's. I think it also has the control you want.
Last edited by EasyRay on Mon. Nov. 07, 2011 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Nov. 07, 2011 8:19 am

Depends on the size of your shop, etc...The Leisure Lines are also great stoves, I guess it just depends on what you want to accomplish as asked. I like just filling the hopper and empty the ashed maybe every 1 or 2+ days depending on the outside temps. maintains temps almost perfectly.

Body Hammer

Post by Body Hammer » Mon. Nov. 07, 2011 11:01 am

EasyRay wrote:
Body Hammer wrote:Someone help me out here. Just when I think I know a little about coal burning, someone throws a stick in my spokes. On Hitzer's site, they list stoker stoves, but they appear to appear to be handfired furnaces. Mod 55 or 82. They look like a nice furnace. But not a stoker?
Hitzer makes a 608 stoker they introduced last year. From 7,000 to 90,000 btu's. I think it also has the control you want.
Ray, do you know if that 608 can be ducted similar to you avatar? That is a good looking stove. Also, could it be power vented?

Body Hammer

Post by Body Hammer » Mon. Nov. 07, 2011 11:06 am

McGiever wrote:So, you want something you can let roar when you are in the building and set to idle for when you leave for the day, yes???
Exactly! But I do have insurance concerns. I do collision repair. Where this would not be in my paint booth, may not be a problem. People out there have some really strange ideas about coal. Due to a lack of information I guess.
I would really like some input on that Reading Juniata stove. It looks like just the ticket! I wonder If I e-mail them if they can give some referrences?

fastcat
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Nut/Stove Mix

Post by fastcat » Mon. Nov. 07, 2011 3:44 pm

You best check with your insurance company first.
:blowup:

EasyRay
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Pea,Nut or Stove

Post by EasyRay » Mon. Nov. 07, 2011 5:21 pm

Body Hammer wrote:
EasyRay wrote: Hitzer makes a 608 stoker they introduced last year. From 7,000 to 90,000 btu's. I think it also has the control you want.
Ray, do you know if that 608 can be ducted similar to you avatar? That is a good looking stove. Also, could it be power vented?
I don't really know any specifics on the 608 from Hitzer. Other than what they have on their site. If you are interested I would give them a call. I understand they are nice people to deal with.
I don't use an avatar. :lol:

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Nov. 07, 2011 7:07 pm

When I had to install a furnace in a gas station NYC code called for a special screen similar to a miners lamp installed in the air intake of the burner, or what I did which was to box in the burner and connect to outside air.

You could do a similar thing to a stoker (box in the air intake to take outside air) and it would be safe. Whether it would meet your local code I don't know.

Body Hammer

Post by Body Hammer » Mon. Nov. 07, 2011 7:50 pm

Sorry Ray, I was thinking of the moderator's avatar.

Body Hammer

Post by Body Hammer » Mon. Nov. 07, 2011 7:52 pm

I agree fastcat. Before I get too excited about anything, I'll give my company a call.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”