Which Ash Vacumm Cleaner Works Best for a Coal Stove?

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Tue. Nov. 08, 2011 9:26 pm

I just use a Rigid Professional 16 gallon 6.5 hp. Nothing fancy or overly expensive. Works fine, though the filter plugs pretty quick if you suck up lots of fine flyash. Just take it outside, tap it out, blow it out, & re-install. Back in action.

Mike1992

Post by Mike1992 » Mon. Feb. 17, 2020 7:50 am

coalconvert

Try Powersmith vacuum has a nice protective filter bag that covers the powerful 10 amp Motor. It is very compact with a nice carry handle but has a very long cord and even a red full indicator!

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Feb. 19, 2020 11:56 am

SMITTY wrote:
Tue. Nov. 08, 2011 9:26 pm
I just use a Rigid Professional 16 gallon 6.5 hp. Nothing fancy or overly expensive. Works fine, though the filter plugs pretty quick if you suck up lots of fine flyash. Just take it outside, tap it out, blow it out, & re-install. Back in action.
I'm going to buy the Rigid vac myself. I'm tired of chasing down filters for my Craftsman 16 gallon 6.25 HP that is 22 years old. It's going to be used for those nasty drywall, water heater clean-outs, and ash removal for the stove...and I have enough hose for it to leave the unit outside while I'm vacuuming ash around the hearth. I hate having to use my good Craftsman for those dirty jobs, then try to use it in the house for something, or cleaning the car. I always super clean the inside of it by disassembling the entire sweeper, or it blows dust everywhere in the house even with the good HEPA filters...if you let them clog up.

Buying an additional large Rigid vac will eliminate having to super clean the Craftsman...I'll just leave it for the nasty jobs. Leaving it outside while vacuuming ash will be a huge plus and go a long way in keeping fly ash from the coal stove out of the house.

I've been using a box fan near the stove at tending times. My son bought a good furnace HEPA filter and we keep it on the back of the box fan. Works great! It sticks to the fan box just from the suction of the fan being turned on low.

I just bought a little Rigid 4 gallon 5HP and it's a beast!!! Going to buy the big one in the next few weeks, maybe before then. Going to buy the bucket separator with it.

JohnB
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Mostly nut, some pea

Post by JohnB » Wed. Feb. 19, 2020 3:04 pm

I've been using a 16 gallon/ 6.5hp Rigid shop vac for years. It's been through many years of rebuilding our 270 year old home & cleans up any stray fly ash just fine. Got tired of regularly cleaning the filter & started using the bag liners a few years ago.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Feb. 19, 2020 3:22 pm

JohnB wrote:
Wed. Feb. 19, 2020 3:04 pm
I've been using a 16 gallon/ 6.5hp Rigid shop vac for years. It's been through many years of rebuilding our 270 year old home & cleans up any stray fly ash just fine. Got tired of regularly cleaning the filter & started using the bag liners a few years ago.
That's why I want to switch to a new vac...the bag liners, plus the filters. Both Craftsman and Rigid now use them, but I'm not sure what's going to happen to Craftsman as a brand. It seems the vacs are being fazed out.

My Craftsman is 22 years old. It's cleaned the lime out of numerous water heaters, done drywall dust duty numerous times, many water spills, and even cleaned out my cistern on two occasions...that alone was worth what I paid for it...and it's paid for itself many times over.

I hear the same about Rigid, so that will likely be my go-to on my next large shop-vac.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Feb. 19, 2020 5:39 pm

Curb side Fein Vac...
Removable bag plus a HEPA...
Best vac ever...
Would be not hesitate to buy one new...
But...
They be a bit pricey...

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Thu. Feb. 20, 2020 4:58 am

I just have a cheap one that I got from Ocean State Job Lot, $59.

It has not only been a good ash vac, it has been the best shop vac that I ever bought.

Rich W.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Vigilant Multi-Fuel (coal for me); Vermont Castings Vigilant 2310 in the shop
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: System 2000 Oil Burner; VC Resolute Woodstove (sold) Jotul 8 Woodstove (sold)

Post by Rich W. » Fri. Feb. 21, 2020 7:52 pm

I use a “Dust Stopper” from Home Depot between my vac hose and my shop vac. It collects the ash before it gets to the vac and spares the filter.
https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages ... 4_1000.jpg

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Tue. Feb. 25, 2020 9:20 pm

coalconvert wrote:
Sun. Nov. 06, 2011 9:25 pm
I need a good vacuum for that fine ash. My Vigilant 2 came equipped with an ash pan cover but stll, there's always that ash problem. Can anyone recommend a good vaccuum specifically designed for coal stoves or will standard a fireplace vacuum cleaner do just fine?
My house Eureka is fine--but not for coal dust, which clogs both the filters immediately. So I got a Stanley Shop Vac and attached a Dust Deputy to it, with excellent results. Over 95% of everything is removed by the Dust Deputy before it reaches the Stanley, and the vac is stronger (2.5 horsepower) than the Eureka for getting the dust from all the nooks and crannies. The Eureka is lighter and easier to get around with, and has brushes to clean carpets.
My chimney sweeps use a regular shop vac and that seems to be fine with them--it looks ancient.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Feb. 26, 2020 5:49 am

I'd go with the RIGID--mine's been good for 20 yrs +--price is right & she works well!! :)

JMHudsonValley
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey 92
Coal Size/Type: Pea Coal
Other Heating: Hand Fed Chubby Coal - Nut Coal

Post by JMHudsonValley » Thu. Feb. 27, 2020 6:43 am

I purchased a Cougar Ash Vacuum and I love it - personally I think it was well worth the money and it handles really warm ashes without issue. Usually when I clean out the ash pan I leave the ash door open while I am emptying it out then I come back and use the vacuum to do small cleanup. Just make sure you do not suck in glowing coals.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”