Where Can I Find a Special Vacuum?

musikfan6

Post by musikfan6 » Thu. Nov. 03, 2011 9:17 pm

Good evening gentlemen (I'm assuming that I'm addressing all guys here. Pardon me if there are any ladies reading! ;) )

I'm curious to know where I can get a special type of vacuum cleaner that will flex and go through my flu vents on my FB 1475. The vents are on each side and wrap around to the back of the stove. I absolutely cannot get to the back of the stove because it sits on my fireplace hearth, which is 1.5 feet off the floor, and also sits right up against the fireplace opening - moving it would require basically a complete disconnect and move of the stove. So my only option is to go in from the front. I really would like to clean out the vents during this break in the cold weather over the next few days.

Any suggestions? is this something I could just rent at my local hardware store, or is there a common type of vacuum like this that I am not aware of??

Thanks all!

Coalfire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 96K btu Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Coalfire » Thu. Nov. 03, 2011 9:35 pm

I think you would really only have to clean them out at the end of the season. Maybe someone that has a FB can chime in.

Eric

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Nov. 03, 2011 11:01 pm

You only need to unfasten the two screws that holds the back plate of the stove, the bottom of that back sits on two pins that hold it in place. You still would need the clearance to move it straight back about 4 inches. It would depend on the size of your fireplace opening and if the smoke pipe goes straight back. You could buy a length of clear plastic about 30 inches long and wrap it with duct tape on one end to fit your vac hose and go in from the front but I doubt it will go around the bend. The smoke pipe should also be cleaned at the end of the season.

Some pictures of the setup would help.

Attachments

Franco Belge 3.jpg
.JPG | 188.7KB | Franco Belge 3.jpg

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Fri. Nov. 04, 2011 6:21 am

I believe they make adapters for cleaning out your Clothes dryer vents, that have small, flat adapters which might work.

Smoker858
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Baseburners & Antiques: Reading Stove Works Penn circa 1900
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: nat gas

Post by Smoker858 » Fri. Nov. 04, 2011 8:13 am

Duct tape a short section of garden hose to your shop vac.

For major cleaning (once a year) I put the shop vac outdoors duct tape a length of 1 1/4" PVC pipe to the Vac. Then I tape the vac flex hose to the PVE then as needed reduce that to a section of garden hose to get into those small hard to reach areas.

g13nw00d-man

Post by g13nw00d-man » Fri. Nov. 04, 2011 9:11 am

I like the duct tape garden hose idea, I have a friend who is an HVAC tech. He has a special vac for cleaning heat exchangers on furnace but they cost several hundered dollars.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”