Fired up the Vigilant 2 for the First Time Ever

coalconvert

Post by coalconvert » Wed. Nov. 02, 2011 3:43 pm

After 33 seasons of burning wood I fired up the Vigilant 2 on Oct 29th, just in time for the snowstorm that knocked out the electric power all across my area of Pennsylvania. It sure was nice to be warm and cozy, and to be able to boil water for coffee and tea, and to heat leftovers. It was sucfh a propitious start to the world of anthracite coal heating. I can't help but think of my little Vig 2 as a type primordial microwave oven as well. It just ain't right to fall in love with an inanimate object. But it's only platonic, I swear lololol.

Body Hammer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Petit Godin oval

Post by Body Hammer » Wed. Nov. 02, 2011 4:02 pm

Feeling the love! :love:

Smoker858
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Baseburners & Antiques: Reading Stove Works Penn circa 1900
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: nat gas

Post by Smoker858 » Wed. Nov. 02, 2011 6:57 pm

Such a warm glowing report deserves consideration. Keep the home fires burning.

buck24
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Post by buck24 » Wed. Nov. 02, 2011 7:34 pm

Did you ask yourself that question that echoes in the back of your mind :?: Why did I wait so long to make the switch... you are done with with wood from here on out. Stay warm and enjoy the coal.

coalconvert

Post by coalconvert » Wed. Nov. 02, 2011 10:17 pm

Well, for a long time I had ready access to a huge supply of wood that required only the willingness and enthusiasm to cut, split, load, unload, stack and carry into the house as it was burned. The wood didn't cost anything moneywise, but everything else about it did--chainsaws, chains etc., not to mention the time and sore knees, back, shoulders etc. By late April of this year both my enthusiasm and willingness ran out at about the same time.

Free at last , free at last!

musikfan6

Post by musikfan6 » Wed. Nov. 02, 2011 10:41 pm

33 years of wood burning? Wow! That's a long time and A LOT of wood!!!

Congrats to you! I have a soft spot in my heart for VC products. I had a Vigilant myself which I really liked, but of course it was wood and I have no desire to go back that route. Still, I'd love to have a VC coal stove if I could accommodate it. They are well-built stoves in my opinion.

I also had my coal stove fired up just in time before the storm. We lost power on Saturday afternoon and didn't get it back until the following day at 6:00PM. We were able to heat water and food on ours, too. And were we glad for the heat!!

Hope that you have a great heating season!

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Thu. Nov. 03, 2011 8:36 am

buck24 wrote:Did you ask yourself that question that echoes in the back of your mind :?: Why did I wait so long to make the switch... you are done with with wood from here on out. Stay warm and enjoy the coal.
I ask myself that allot Buck.

I can't believe that someone in government decided that oil would be less this winter and cut the Fuel assistance programs in half! Who was that genius? Allot of old folks around here depend on that to get by. Between big oil, pharmaceuticals, and the cost of food, these poor folks will have to make a choice between eating, meds, or heat? Sad really. Nice though that our hated enemy Hugo Chavez donates oil to the Citizen's energy program run by Joe Kennedy. At least they get 100 gals out of Hugo! ;) (End of rant)

buck24

Post by buck24 » Thu. Nov. 03, 2011 11:01 am

Things keep going the way they are going we're going to have to pack up the coal stoves and head north. It would be nice having nortcan as a neighbor. 8-)

coalconvert

Post by coalconvert » Thu. Nov. 03, 2011 1:01 pm

SteveZee wrote:
buck24 wrote:Did you ask yourself that question that echoes in the back of your mind :?: Why did I wait so long to make the switch... you are done with with wood from here on out. Stay warm and enjoy the coal.
I ask myself that allot Buck.

I can't believe that someone in government decided that oil would be less this winter and cut the Fuel assistance programs in half! Who was that genius? Allot of old folks around here depend on that to get by. Between big oil, pharmaceuticals, and the cost of food, these poor folks will have to make a choice between eating, meds, or heat? Sad really. Nice though that our hated enemy Hugo Chavez donates oil to the Citizen's energy program run by Joe Kennedy. At least they get 100 gals out of Hugo! ;) (End of rant)
Chavez--all he did was to sell his country's oil for an some currency other than the dollar. Seems like the big bankster ilk won't tolerate that(although they'll turn a blind eye to just about everything else). That's what made him an enemy. Same for Iraq and Lybia. And Iran. Seems like "we" spare no expense to wage war to keep the fiat dollar propped up. Meanwhile our country is falling apart here at home. This ain't the same United Straes of America in which I grew up, I'll tell you that.

Sorry for the rant. But we live in volatile times now. Much much more so than the '60s when I was a kid.

Besides, Anthracite is as down-home American as you can get here in eastern PA..

musikfan6

Post by musikfan6 » Thu. Nov. 03, 2011 9:29 pm

coalconvert wrote:
SteveZee wrote: I ask myself that allot Buck.

Chavez--all he did was to sell his country's oil for an some currency other than the dollar. Seems like the big bankster ilk won't tolerate that(although they'll turn a blind eye to just about everything else). That's what made him an enemy. Same for Iraq and Lybia. And Iran. Seems like "we" spare no expense to wage war to keep the fiat dollar propped up. Meanwhile our country is falling apart here at home. This ain't the same United Straes of America in which I grew up, I'll tell you that.

Sorry for the rant. But we live in volatile times now. Much much more so than the '60s when I was a kid.

Besides, Anthracite is as down-home American as you can get here in eastern PA..
AMEN to that!!! I just got done saying the same thing to someone at work the other day. I get so discouraged at what I see happening to my beloved country. It's depressing when you think about it too much. But I'm standing on my beliefs and in my patriotism. I figure that if enough of us stick together and stand strong, we can beat it or at least we won't go down without a good fight! OK. I'll stop here. I think we're supposed be talking about coal ;)

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Thu. Nov. 03, 2011 10:49 pm

coalconvert wrote:...8<...Chavez--all he did was to sell his country's oil for an some currency other than the dollar..>8...
Chavez? Well, my signature block has been saying this all along ;)

Good choice on the Vigilant!

Now ...

Attachments

1026011839.jpg

Ready ..

.JPG | 37.3KB | 1026011839.jpg
1026011840.jpg

Set ...

.JPG | 37.2KB | 1026011840.jpg
1026011840a.jpg

GLOW Vigilant, GLOW!!

.JPG | 35.6KB | 1026011840a.jpg

buck24

Post by buck24 » Fri. Nov. 04, 2011 12:49 am

VigllPeaBurner...... Thanks for the nice light show. I am still amazed at the colors of light that come off of the anthracite coal that we burn. :)

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Fri. Nov. 04, 2011 6:17 am

Welcome to coal! You'll enjoy that stove....it's a beauty!

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Fri. Nov. 04, 2011 8:58 am

Beautiful pix VigII.

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Fri. Nov. 04, 2011 9:04 am

coalconvert wrote:
SteveZee wrote: I ask myself that allot Buck.

Actually, in this particular case (Citizens Oil) Chavez has been donating the oil, 100 gal. to about 200,000 low income families in 23 states. It has certainly raised some ire but hey, I'm sure the folks who got it are thrilled since that represents about $350 a pop or more at todays prices.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”