Old Mill OM80 Help

stockpharmer

Post by stockpharmer » Fri. Oct. 28, 2011 11:25 am

Hello - This is a new stove to me, as you can see the stove is inserted in the fireplace there isn't a flue or damper on top it's just an open top. I think I'm loosing a lot of heat directly up the chimney and would like to dampen if possible but again it's behind the steel plate.Does anyone have suggestions for retaining heat? Also any advice for using\adjusting the spinner knobs would be helpful, night adjustments etc.... I can't seem to get over 375F much. I seem to get the best temps with wood or a mix of wood and coal but not straight up nut coal, the bin can hold 10 lbs of coal, I get a nice blue flame but no real heat. It has blowers also. Thanks

Attachments

OldMill.JPG

Old Mill OM80

.JPG | 100KB | OldMill.JPG

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Oct. 28, 2011 11:43 am

Could you rig something?? 1/4 inch plate for the top( even if you'd hold it down with a couple cinder blocks. Should work till spring when you can get more complex?? People seem to love complex. :lol: w/ a 6" hole cut in it & run some flex up the chimney a ways?? Plus stuffing your firebox/ fireplace opening to chimney w/ insulation. That's just what this old guy would try. I know it got real cold last night.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Fri. Oct. 28, 2011 11:55 am

Does it have shaker grates and an enclosed firebox? If not it's not made for coal. I can tell you right off that 10lb of nut coal is nothing for a box that size. You need to have a firebrick enclosed, shaker grate bottomed, deep bed with air from under it that has no way but up through that bed to work well with anthracite coal. 30-40lbs of coal would be more like a normal load.

stockpharmer

Post by stockpharmer » Fri. Oct. 28, 2011 12:05 pm

yes it has a shaker, grates and bricks inside - I think I might drill a hole through the face plate and install a damper and extend the handle. I'm getting better prices for wood than I am for Coal in my area 19380 - might have to go with wood or a mix... dunno yet

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Oct. 28, 2011 5:00 pm

I suspect you are losing a lot of draft around that steel plate. I agree with Fred that the best for burning either wood or coal is with a standard smoke pipe setup. A flange could be welded or bolted to the top to take smoke pipe.

It burns wood better because wood will give a hotter stack temp. and better draft.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”