Harman Mark III Smell

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Fri. Oct. 21, 2011 8:25 am

Also if dust has settled in from the summer will smell. Mice or Critters in the Chimney. But make sure your not gettng downdrafting at all.

Firemanz84

Post by Firemanz84 » Fri. Oct. 21, 2011 6:51 pm

Have it fired again last night...

It smelled again this morning, nothing registered on the CO detectors and this evening I stopped and picked up the Fire Department Scott Multi-gas meter. Held it to all the stove pipe joints and all around the stove and "0" for CO. :D I'm just going to run it hot for a while and hopefully all the paint everywhere cures and it goes away...

Next will be the oil burner flue to make sure it's not coming down the boiler flue, then possibly a gable vent?

Any recommendations on how hot to run a Harman Mark III?

Firemanz84

Post by Firemanz84 » Wed. Oct. 26, 2011 11:11 am

Everthing checked out ok with the meters :D

I decided to crank up the heat to just under 700f measured on the side of the firebox between the top of the firebrick and the bottom of the spiral baffle and a stack temp of about 300f. I have been running about 475f to 550f at the box/200 stack and have not smelled anything since.

It was probably that I was getting more used to the setup and the temps were creeping up ever so slightly everytime I fired it like what was said...

Thanks for everyones comments and ideas! :up:

EasyRay
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Pea,Nut or Stove

Post by EasyRay » Wed. Oct. 26, 2011 11:28 am

I installed new exhaust pipes this year so we had an odor were not use to having. I'm just going to wait till it gets a lot colder before I crank it up or my wife will complain about the excess heat.

SemperFi

Post by SemperFi » Thu. Oct. 27, 2011 10:39 pm

I can see were you could have smell during a low burn because the baro is so close to the stove outlet. The stove is pushing exhaust and the chimney is pulling exhaust, if the stove over powers the draft for just a split second the baro is close enough that flue gas will spill out of it. With a flex pipe lined chimney insert you will never heat up the chimney brick so the brick cannot aid in a strong draft. With your setup I would loose the baro. Good luck my friend.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”