Door Seal?

Wy Coal Miner

Post by Wy Coal Miner » Sun. Oct. 16, 2011 5:41 pm

Just picked up an Estate Heaterola no5. I want to put it in the house but it looks like the door was leaking. It's only metal on metal seal with no place for that fiber rope. Anyone have this model stove? What do you have for the door seal? Any other suggestions welcome.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Oct. 16, 2011 10:24 pm

WCM, could you post photos of the stove? And if possible close to the front door so someone could help.

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Mon. Oct. 17, 2011 6:47 am

It is hard to imagine operating a coal stove without a door gasket. As I think back about the woodstoves I have had, plus my current coal stove, I don't think I have had one without the rounded recess for rope gasket. :what:

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Oct. 17, 2011 6:51 am

Wy Coal Miner wrote:Just picked up an Estate Heaterola no5. I want to put it in the house but it looks like the door was leaking. It's only metal on metal seal with no place for that fiber rope. Anyone have this model stove? What do you have for the door seal? Any other suggestions welcome.
Mine is the same way. If the latch is properly adjusted it should be a pretty tight fit.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Mon. Oct. 17, 2011 8:48 am

grizzly2 wrote:It is hard to imagine operating a coal stove without a door gasket. As I think back about the woodstoves I have had, plus my current coal stove, I don't think I have had one without the rounded recess for rope gasket. :what:
Most all the old ones had machined cast iron primary doors with no gaskets. My Herald is an example.

Wy Coal Miner

Post by Wy Coal Miner » Mon. Oct. 17, 2011 10:41 pm

Guess that explains it. Thanks for the replies.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”