Vigilant Coal Conversion

Smoker858
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Baseburners & Antiques: Reading Stove Works Penn circa 1900
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: nat gas

Post by Smoker858 » Sun. Oct. 16, 2011 9:20 am

Well after 25 years I decided to install the coal kit. I had it in years ago and cleaned out abandoned bins. What a hobby that was.

Anyway I cannot get the front (last piece 23 ) in. I did and redid the entire install 4x Saturday.

It appears the Left 25 and Right 26sections which almost cover the shaker shafts are not down low enough.

So if anyone has a "tall / long" door setup could you please let me know the distance from the shaker grate (3) shafts to the bottom of the L 25 and R 26 cast pieces. Is the bottom of these pieces below the top of the shaker grates????

Part 24 is on the Left side ledge (not nub which is for short doors)

Oh, all of the conversion is in and really sealed up air tight. My last resort may be to simply grind 1/6" off the length of the front drop in piece. The last piece will be cemented in anyway.

http://www.stovepartsplus.com/Merchant5/PDFFILES/ ... G-0054.pdf

Back up plan - find a 2nd hand real coal stove.

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sun. Oct. 16, 2011 6:40 pm

Hang in there, someone with the older insert models will be along soon. It's still early in the season and a bit slow. If you don't get an answer and this thread drifts down a few pages, use the Bump feature to move it back into view.

If it comes down to you getting another coal stove and you like the Vigilant, consider their current coal-only model 2310. It's a batch burner, no hopper. I've been using the Vigilant II model 2310 for eleven years and go easily 12 -16 hrs between reloads. With many of the older base burner qualities engineered into this model, it really throws heat for its size. I've seen some good buys on craigslist for the 2310.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”