MPD Install Help

meatball

Post by meatball » Tue. Oct. 11, 2011 10:36 am

IM GETTING MY NEW BASEHEATER AND I NEED TO INSTALL A MPD , I NEVER PUT ONE IN , I GOT A GRISWALD 6 INCH IN MINT CONDITION , CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO INSTALL THIS THE PROPER WAY INTO THE PIPE? :)

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Tue. Oct. 11, 2011 12:09 pm

I usually put my MPDs as close to the heating appliance as possible, though I'm not sure if it matters where on the discharge pipe it goes.

But I've also found it easiest to use some painter's tape stretched from one side of the pipe, across the opening you wish to install the damper and then down the other side. Then, I measure to find the center of the pipe and use a rafter's triangle transfer the line to both sides of the pipe. I also measure lengthwise down the sides on each side to make sure the holes line up. This way it ensures your MPD is centered. Then I use a nail or a punch to put a small dent where I've drawn the "+" and then I drill it a little smaller than the shaft of the MPD.

I'm sure others have different methods as well.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Tue. Oct. 11, 2011 4:02 pm

IOF, method is as good as any. The damper rod does have a sharp end and you can (once centered) give it a smack with a mallet. Just make sure of your center. I usually put it in a one foot length of pipe right after the elbow.

Attachments

MPD.JPG
.JPG | 54KB | MPD.JPG

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”