Nut Coal and Stove Coal Use

DennisH
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon-Eagle Klondike IV
Other Heating: Propane

Post by DennisH » Thu. Oct. 06, 2011 10:07 pm

I burned nut coal last year in my Yukon-Eagle Klondike (my first year using a coal furnace) and I liked it (nut coal) just fine. Do any of you seasoned nut coal burners ever use the larger size stove coal in your hand fired stoves/furnaces, and if so, what advantages or disadvantages did you encounter? Being larger chunks, I can see where the stove coal would burn hotter and/or faster by allowing more oxygen around the chunks. I am curious to see if any steady stove coal users have lessons learned that might be useful. Thank you in advance.

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Thu. Oct. 06, 2011 11:17 pm

DennisH wrote:I burned nut coal last year in my Yukon-Eagle Klondike (my first year using a coal furnace) and I liked it (nut coal) just fine. Do any of you seasoned nut coal burners ever use the larger size stove coal in your hand fired stoves/furnaces, and if so, what advantages or disadvantages did you encounter? Being larger chunks, I can see where the stove coal would burn hotter and/or faster by allowing more oxygen around the chunks. I am curious to see if any steady stove coal users have lessons learned that might be useful. Thank you in advance.
I think the stove makes a big difference in the size it likes. I've run pea, nut and stove sizes in my stoves. My current stove likes stove size best... I can run nut or stove in it, but I just like the way the stove size works. I can control my air well so I don't have a problem with running it low if I want to. You have to figure out what your particular stove likes...

dj

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Oct. 07, 2011 6:32 pm

dlj wrote:
DennisH wrote:I burned nut coal last year in my Yukon-Eagle Klondike (my first year using a coal furnace) and I liked it (nut coal) just fine. Do any of you seasoned nut coal burners ever use the larger size stove coal in your hand fired stoves/furnaces, and if so, what advantages or disadvantages did you encounter? Being larger chunks, I can see where the stove coal would burn hotter and/or faster by allowing more oxygen around the chunks. I am curious to see if any steady stove coal users have lessons learned that might be useful. Thank you in advance.
I think the stove makes a big difference in the size it likes. I've run pea, nut and stove sizes in my stoves. My current stove likes stove size best... I can run nut or stove in it, but I just like the way the stove size works. I can control my air well so I don't have a problem with running it low if I want to. You have to figure out what your particular stove likes...

dj
I have the same stove that dj has and it likes stove coal the best even though it can burn smaller sizes just fine, there is nothing more I can add here except try a small amount of stove coal and see what happens.

Townsend
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & Harman Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Pea / Nut

Post by Townsend » Fri. Oct. 07, 2011 6:51 pm

Dennis, see the sticky in this section on comparison of pea, nut, and stove.

DennisH
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon-Eagle Klondike IV
Other Heating: Propane

Post by DennisH » Fri. Oct. 07, 2011 7:38 pm

@ Townsend: You're absolutely correct! After I sent my post I saw the other! Big Duh on my part! Many thanks!

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Sat. Oct. 08, 2011 6:58 am

Three solid pages of everything you ever wanted to know( and more!) about the virtues of pea, nut, and stove.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”