The Call of the Anthracite!

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Thu. Oct. 06, 2011 7:14 pm

Good going IOF,

Glad you got it to crank. Might as well use it if you got any dino left in the tank. It had some time to dry out I imagine and then prolly corroded enough to freeze up.

Townsend
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & Harman Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Pea / Nut

Post by Townsend » Thu. Oct. 06, 2011 8:10 pm

I've been real pleased with that Hitzer. It took me through the last whole winter as my only heat source for this old house. It also has a great ability to burn well when I turn it down and idle nice and low. Warms the house enough to take the chill out. I'm still looking forward to that Axeman though!

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Fri. Oct. 07, 2011 6:36 am

25 degrees this morning. Good hard frost! Last night I topped both stoves at 6:30-7pm. Right now I have 68 in the kitchen and 73 in the parlor. Both stoves were set very low too really just about closed on the primary air. Should have opened the kitchen a hair but still awesome compared to last year on wood. The Herald seems to easily do the 12 hour cycle and could go allot more. The kitchen range probably needs to be 10 to 12 in dead of winter. It's doing the 12 now but it drops from 350 to about 250 by morning. Maybe I ran it a little hotter (when it's colder) it will hold? The cylinder though is rock solid on 350 and hasn't moved a bit.
Interesting between the two, they both have a "personality". The cookstove has a faster recovery when you fill it up but doesn't last as long although quite steady for a good 8-10hrs. The cylinder drops down a good bit when you load it up and takes a little while to come back but then stays at it's setting without fading. I'm learn'in! :)

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Fri. Oct. 07, 2011 6:52 am

The anthracite in my basement is calling, but I just made a wood fire last evening in my Hitzer. The stove was running 300* side temp, the same as a medium coal fire. When the living room hit 80* I stopped feeding the fire. Soon I'll start my coal fire for the season. Right now we have a relatively warm week comming up.

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Fri. Oct. 07, 2011 8:28 am

Lopez is just over the notch for me, so you guys around the NEPA area can imagine the frost I have in the yard. Call me crazy but my goal is to burn 0 gallons of oil this winter. :rambo: Ive had a coal fire since last weekends cold front. Topped the girl off last night (draft is only about paper thickness wide getting about a 24 to 30 hr burn) and will more than likely put no more on and let her go out. Night time temps aren't looking low as they have been with the Indian summer aproaching. I know, I know, you die-hards out their love to claim the one match all season, someday I'll get a nice stove in the upstairs fireplace and compete! But for now I have to get through my first winter with coal.

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Fri. Oct. 07, 2011 8:37 am

yep this mornings shake and bake was the last loadup for these two also. Unreal but from 25 degress this morning, we got a forcast of 75 on Saturday and 81 on Sunday! :shock: That's cool though, like Anthony, I'm looking to burn as little (read: non) dino juice as possible too. If I don't do any traveling this winter I could easily pull that off. I did get an invite to Rio D, Brazil in Jan though. That will be hard one to dodge. :roll:

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Fri. Oct. 07, 2011 8:38 am

Thanks Steve, when I noticed the blower motor wasn't spinning I went down stairs pulled the side cover and just spun it by hand till it freed up.

Last season I didn't buy any home heating oil I just bought 30 gallons of diesel as a, "Just in case" I needed to run the furnace for any reason. This season, I'll more than likely do the same, 30 gallons of diesel and only run it early in the morning and once at night until I officially fire up the DS. I keep checking the weather forecasts 15 days ahead for my "opening" but when I think I can break out the torch for the official anthracite lighting I see another 80* snuck in under the radar.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”