Time for New CO Detectors

jpete
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Post by jpete » Tue. Sep. 27, 2011 6:26 pm

My CO detectors are a couple years old so I'm thinking it's time to replace them. It's my understanding that the sensor accumulates CO over time and isn't accurate after a while(?)

I searched around but I didn't find what I was looking for so I figure this is the best place to ask.

What would be considered the "best" CO and/or smoke detector to get and why?

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Tue. Sep. 27, 2011 6:42 pm

Are they 7 years old? Mine say replace after 7. The ones we use at work are 14. If they haven't expired use them. Kiddie is what I buy at $40 a pop.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Tue. Sep. 27, 2011 7:07 pm

Yep mine say 5-7 also. I have two, one is a Kidde and the other is a First Alert. They are both the plug in type with battery backup and run around $35 retail. I just checked and they are warrantied for 5 years so that's what I'll go with.

I'm On Fire

Post by I'm On Fire » Tue. Sep. 27, 2011 7:18 pm

I have one plug in one right next to the stove, the other two are 110v hardwired smoke and co combos.

jpete
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Post by jpete » Tue. Sep. 27, 2011 7:20 pm

I honestly don't know how old they are. That's kind of why I was thinking of replacing them. Is there a date code on them some where?

I'm On Fire

Post by I'm On Fire » Tue. Sep. 27, 2011 7:28 pm

There should be one on the back of it somewhere.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Tue. Sep. 27, 2011 7:29 pm

From Consumer Reports which I subscribe to.

For optimum protection, you should install smoke and carbon-monoxide (CO) alarms that interconnect (they all sound at once) throughout your home. The illustration below shows you exactly where to install them. As a rule, smoke alarms should be installed on the ceiling or on a wall no more than 12 inches below the ceiling and away from corners, windows, and vents. Read the manufacturer's instructions. Also make a family escape plan and practice it for day and night escapes.

Basement Place an interconnecting dual-sensor smoke alarm near the stairwell leading upstairs. And put an interconnecting CO alarm at least 20 feet from a furnace, water heater, or other fuel-burning appliances.
Kitchen and Living area Place an interconnecting photoelectric smoke alarm 10 feet away from—but not inside—the kitchen. Put another interconnecting dual-sensor smoke alarm and an interconnecting CO alarm in the living area. (If your home has more than 1,000 square feet per level, your local building code might require a second smoke alarm.)
Sleeping area Place an interconnecting dual-sensor smoke alarm in each bedroom and in the hallway. If the hall location is close to a bathroom, install a photoelectric alarm since steam can trigger nuisance alarms. And place a separate interconnecting CO alarm in the hallway.
Garage Never put a CO alarm inside the garage, where car exhaust can trigger false alarms. Also don't put CO alarms near any windows in your house, where fresh air can have the opposite effect.
Attic Even if your attic isn't finished, install an interconnecting dual-sensor smoke alarm.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carbon-monoxide alarms
Letter designates type. Number designates ranking.
For larger spaces:
First Alert OneLink SCO501CN (D1) $70
First Alert OneLink CO511B (D2) $65
Each can talk to other wireless First Alert alarms. D1 combines CO and photoelectric smoke detection; D2 provides CO detection only.
Stand-alone models for small spaces:
First Alert CO615 (E1) $40
Kidde Nighthawk KN-COPP-3 (E3) $45
Both are plug-in with battery backup—fine for small, one-story homes and apartments.

buck24
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Post by buck24 » Tue. Sep. 27, 2011 8:40 pm

When in doubt ----- REPLACE. You will have peace of mind knowing they are new and will work if need be. Safety is big part of the coal burning game.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Wed. Sep. 28, 2011 6:00 pm

That's a good post EW&F. That's the info I read too. I was going to mention to I'm on Fire that deal about the 20feet away from furnace or appliance. I had a plug right next to my two stoves also too that I was going to use till I read that 20 foot thing.
Those two stand alone models are the exact two that I just bought.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Wed. Sep. 28, 2011 7:36 pm

Most of the newer ones will deactivate after seven years, I get new ones every few years but still keep the old ones around, the more the better.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. Sep. 29, 2011 11:28 am

besides the smoke /CO combo ones I have in the hallway and bedrooms, I have two night hawk digital models. One in the basement 8' from the stove, one in the living room upstairs from the stove. They are 3 years apart in age and I replace each every 5 years, that way both are never 5 years old. I hope that helps the odds against both failing at the same time.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”