How to Light a Stove?

collinsgn

Post by collinsgn » Thu. Sep. 22, 2011 7:17 am

Hi all, I'm new to burning coal but could use some advice from the experts on how to light nut anthracite in a bucket a day heater. I started with a hot pine fire with some hot coals and when I put two or three inches of coal on it was like I just added wet wood, it went out instantly. I even tried to put a hair dryer under the fire but it didn't seem to make any differance. I did notice the next day that most of the coal did burn down over night but how do you get a nice hot bed of coal like the picture above? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Gary C

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Thu. Sep. 22, 2011 7:47 am

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

You start your wood fire, generally, I don't use pine as it burns up and turns to ash too quickly. Then, as the wood starts to turn to embers your throw a shovel full or two of anthracite on top of that, wait 15-20 minutes for the anthracite to glow and throw another shovel full or two of anthracite onto the fire. Wait again for 15-20 minutes and repeat the process untill you have at least 4" of red glowing anthracite. Then you just fill the fire pot to the top leaving a small section of red either to the front or the back of the pot.

Now, I've found the easiest way to get the fire started quickly is using Cowboy Brand Lump Charcoal, a little newspaper and a few of those little "fatwood" fire starter sticks. I've also been known to break out my propane torch and get it going that way as well.

I'm sure others on here also have different methods to get it going, so expect a lot more responses. :)

Have fun keeping warm.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Thu. Sep. 22, 2011 7:55 am

there is a huge thread (sticky) on this at the top of the hand fired page. Have a look through it for lots of good methods. As I'm on fire stated, pine will not do the job. You need at minimum hardwood maple or the like.

Body Hammer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Petit Godin oval

Post by Body Hammer » Thu. Sep. 22, 2011 8:07 am

I also use the Cowboy Brand Lump Charcoal. I put a pile in the middle of the grate, and pile the coal all around it. Then put a propane torch right down into the charcoal until it is glowing good with sparks flying out of it. Make sure that it is getting as much air from beneath as you can. Soon the burning charcoal will spead into the coal. As soon the coal is going thoroughly, start adding more; but not too much at a time. Patience is the key. Once it's filled, wait for the Blue Ladies to go into a slow dance and adjust the air accordingly.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. Sep. 22, 2011 8:58 am

Quick Start Method Video

Here is a good video thread by Ashcat, even though its not for your specific stove, it covers the basics for lighting a hand fed very well.

Welcome to the forum!! Keep in mind that each stove / chimney set up has it's own personality, once you light yours a couple times you will be a pro!!

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Thu. Sep. 22, 2011 12:49 pm

I like to use Match Lite charcoal. I first put some torn up McDonald's drink holder material on the grates. Then I put in a layer of the charcoal pretty much spreading it throughout the entire firebox, it's a little thicker in the middle. Then I sprinkle some nut coal across the pile, not a lot but some. Then I light it. The air intake is wide open. In about ten mins it's time to add a little more lcoal and check my air intake value. Then I wait another 10 or 15 mins for that to catch and add more coal. Then I wait for that to catch usually another 10 to 15 mins. I repeat this process until the fire is well developed. It works quickly every time.

My now 20 year old daughter says that unlike her friends who associate the smell of Match Lite charcoal with the lake and summer BBQ, she associates the smell of Match Lite with Christmas and the coming winter. :D To each their own I guess. Take care, Lisa

stokersmoker

Post by stokersmoker » Thu. Sep. 22, 2011 3:53 pm

This will be my second year burning, and I learned so much from this site. At first I followed the directions in the manual. After about 5 times trying that and realizing they kind of exaggerated a bit how easy they made lighting the stove sound in the directions, I've learned to like the Cowboy lump charcoal. The only thing I don't like about it is it throws off sparks like fireworks when you first light it. But the charcoal seems to stay in one spot burning for a long time without going out, and that gets a nice hot ember going in the coal. The combustion fan keeps blowing on that, and within 15 minutes, my stove is lit. Plus you get that nice burning wood smell, and I always find that welcoming on a cold night.

Stanb999

Post by Stanb999 » Sat. Sep. 24, 2011 8:28 am

Here is my tried and true 20 min. method.

First you need draft. Colder outside = easier to start. Every time and always.
Second. Clean the stove all out. Start fresh. :)
Fill 1/2 the fire pot with coal leaving about 1/4 of the grate area open.
Add a bit of wood and sticks to the now small area of grate without coal
Lite this.
Add a bit more wood as the fire goes. You don't need much.
You will note the wood fire is a bit like a blowtorch with the ash door open. This is due to the air flow being blocked by the coal a bit and concentrated on the wood.
When the fire seems insane... It will rather quickly I might add.
Add coal slowly to the wood fire. Just a few pounds at a time. Keep the ash door open the whole time. As the flames grow through the coal you just added. Add a bit more. It doesn't take long at all.

tips.
I start my Harman mark 2 with about two hand fulls of sticks. you don't need a lot of wood to have a hot fire.. In fact more wood = more ash. Ash = less air flow. Type of wood ie. pine v/s oak makes little difference except it will take a bit more pine than oak.

Make sure you have good draft.

Make sure you have a small area free of coal for good air flow in the area you wish to burn the wood.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sat. Sep. 24, 2011 7:04 pm

Here's a plethora (I love that word - it's the second time I was able to use it in a sentence :lol: ) of coal ignition techniques:

Alternatives for Lighting Coal ;)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”