Whom Among Us Are Ready?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Sep. 27, 2011 8:00 pm

Steve, I should admit that I have not burned through an entire winter with my current setup. I based the figure off one winter with a hand-fired boiler, and the next with 1/2 the winter on the EFM. The EFM provides all of our domestic hot water, and last year about one ton went to heating the pool.

I am thinking 8 tons for the winter, 2 in the off-season for hot water and an occasional blast to the pool. At any rate, it sure beats running the oil boiler.

Info on the house is here: Old Houses

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Wed. Sep. 28, 2011 9:19 am

Rob,

That's an outstanding place you've got there! I love the aerial shot of the property. Really nice. Is that part of Lake Champlain out back there? I love old houses. I've had mine in Maine here for 20 years now and I'm still not done. :roll: Probably never will be cause there is always something. I remember once shopping for homeowners insurence and I got a rediculous quote from a company and the agent said to me, "If there were any damages we'd have to use original materials Yada,yada,yada..." To which I just laughed and told him there's not enough clear cedar left in the country to remake the clapboards so who are you BS'in! :D . This place is 225 years old, at least the main house is.

In my case the basement is only under the main part of the house or else I would have had a coal steam boiler down there myself. I would have had to carry coal down stairs to feed it. That said, I love the idea (at the moment) of the cookstove and cylinder stove to heat the place and only use the dino juicer steamer for a backup unit. This will be my first full year using coal too. I started at the end of last season converting my Glenwood C range from wood to coal. That what got me into the whole coal experiance. I was sick of having to relight it every morning and the whole saw, split, stack routine too. Call me lazy but coming downstairs in the dead of winter to aa warm kicthen is a mastercard moment!

Anyways, super looking property you've got Rob and good going to er to the high size on coal usage. Us guys, miles from the source, need to stay ahead of the curve. 8-) Did you do the tin roof? Looks great and should last you a very long time. After I tear the deck off the porch roof and re-roof it, (and replace the deck or the other half will scalp me) my next big project will probably be a metal roof like you've got. Pricy but they last.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Sep. 28, 2011 11:56 am

Don't let Rob fool ya Steve--that pix is of the field hands quarters--lil Ivan & Ma & Pa live way on the back property line by the lake. Less of a walk for fishin. :clap: toothy

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Sep. 28, 2011 1:15 pm

Nice one Fred... I wish I had a place on the lake, but unfortunately that isn’t in the cards. The way things are going with our jobs we will be lucky to keep this place.

It is funny you mention the field hands…take a look at this picture and pay particular attention to the garage roof. The original bell is still there to tell everyone when lunch/dinner was ready.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Sep. 28, 2011 2:20 pm

Outstanding on the bell, interesting overhang over the windows--somebody was thinking. ;) Crap my friend, I hope you don't have to go down that road. :(

slovak

Post by slovak » Sun. Oct. 02, 2011 12:22 pm

Hi; If anybody is still out there. I like this idea of a temporary charcoal fire. How much charcoal do you use ?. How do you light it ?. How long does it last ?. I PM'd (I'm on fire )about his already, but figured this thread may still have some life in it.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”