Looking for an Installer

Idomeneus
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960s EFM 520
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Ductless Heat Pumps and Solar

Post by Idomeneus » Mon. Sep. 12, 2011 12:22 pm

I am about to but a 1960 efm stoker boiler in my house that has been refurbed. I don't have the knowledge to install myself but I would like to find someone who is knowledgeable about coal boilers if I can find one. It will replace a wood boiler that has already been removed. I want to keep the existing oil boiler connected. When the wood boiler was in place both systems were usable and I would like to keep it that way. Should be straight forward with almost no parts to purchase. I would like to put two zones on the coal boiler. The oil boiler already has two. I also want to keep it on the cheap. I have a quote from a boiler installer starting at $200 plus parts. Would be willing to pay a little more for someone who knows coal. I am located just east of Albany, NY. See pictures. Thanks

Attachments

photo 1.JPG

Location of old wood boiler and where new 520 will go

.JPG | 144.2KB | photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

520 will go to the right of the old Ford HW tank which needs to go.

.JPG | 152.9KB | photo 2.JPG

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Sep. 12, 2011 1:58 pm

$200 plus parts is VERY reasonable in my opinion. Keep in mind that the cost of the parts adds up quickly...especially if you include new ball valves, circulator, etc etc...don't forget about your expansion tank; that Extrol 30 won't be happy about the extra water volume in the EFM.

Who is in charge of getting the EFM in the basement and assembled?

Why do you want to run multiple zones off the coal boiler? I would run all the zones of your oil boiler, and heat the oil unit with the coal boiler.

jim d

Post by jim d » Mon. Sep. 12, 2011 5:58 pm

that would be the quickest and cheepest way mark

Idomeneus
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960s EFM 520
Other Heating: Ductless Heat Pumps and Solar

Post by Idomeneus » Mon. Sep. 12, 2011 9:59 pm

Not sure what you mean about the zones. I have friends helping get it in the basement. Is it hard to assemble? I want to have the oil as a backup.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Mon. Sep. 12, 2011 10:05 pm

I agree with the thought of heating the oil boiler with the coal boiler. Just install a loop between the two, and have the coal boiler maintain temperature of the water, that what a freind of mine does here with his Tarm, just down the road from you in Wynantskill.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”