Minor Explosion in Coal Stove

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Nov. 22, 2013 4:01 pm

that's why i'm confused IOF has a DSM 1600, same internal set up.

unless................his comments are about another unit ?

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Nov. 22, 2013 4:04 pm

I used a Mark III for over 15 years (no secondary air control) and could avoid the explosions by doing basically what kingcoal stated. open ash pan to liven up the fire for a couple minutes prior to shakedown, after it 'livened up' add as much coal as possible leaving a corner exposed for the flames to come through there, leave ash door open a couple more minutes, blue flames would get established on new coal and then close it up. I could go back in about 1/2 hour if I wanted and cover that exposed corner at that point.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Nov. 22, 2013 4:26 pm

KingCoal wrote:that's why i'm confused IOF has a DSM 1600, same internal set up.

unless................his comments are about another unit ?
His draft is very weak where yours is strong.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Nov. 22, 2013 6:35 pm

seems like all the more reason to get it burning hot before the refill process.

coalcracker
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Standard sealed hot water boiler, hand fed
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark I Magnafire
Baseburners & Antiques: Lehigh Oak 18, Washington potbelly, Sears Roebuck parlor cabinet, PIttston 6 lid cook stove, vintage combo gas/coal cook stove 4 lid
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by coalcracker » Sat. Dec. 07, 2013 12:50 pm

Did you have a stove pipe damper closed off ? If so, that's why. Also see below.
Last edited by coalcracker on Fri. Mar. 31, 2017 11:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Removed copyrighted text.

SuperBeetle
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut, & Stove Anthracite

Post by SuperBeetle » Mon. Dec. 09, 2013 2:41 pm

coalcracker wrote:Did you have a stove pipe damper closed off ? If so, that's why.
You don't need a damper closed off on order for this to happen. I have seen this happen in many different types of set ups and the one thing they all had in common was lack of over fire air.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Dec. 09, 2013 3:06 pm

SuperBeetle wrote:
coalcracker wrote:Did you have a stove pipe damper closed off ? If so, that's why.
You don't need a damper closed off on order for this to happen. I have seen this happen in many different types of set ups and the one thing they all had in common was lack of over fire air.
I agree. You could have the manual damper wide open but if there is lack of secondary air to keep the volatile gases diluted then yer in for a boom.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Mon. Dec. 09, 2013 3:10 pm

coalcracker wrote:Did you have a stove pipe damper closed off ? If so, that's why. Also see below.
Yep - done the BOOM several times in both my Harman MARK I and MARK III stoves ... wait for it ........ WITHOUT a DAMPER. Imagine that? ;)

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Dec. 09, 2013 3:15 pm

Lightning wrote:I agree. You could have the manual damper wide open but if there is lack of secondary air to keep the volatile gases diluted then yer in for a boom.
I agree with this but also consider that after shaking a surplus amount of primary air can penetrate the coal bed if the air damper is open to then act as secondary air. You can still have a boom but the chances are much less.

SuperBeetle

Post by SuperBeetle » Mon. Dec. 09, 2013 3:45 pm

Yep I've had a few booms myself. No damper installed. I have a few buddies that have had the same thing happen one with a damper wide open and two others with no dampers installed. In all cases there was no over fire air. In order to solve this my problem in my application, I leave the load door cracked so it pulls in some secondary air. Works well.......... ya just gotta remember to latch the door after it lights off.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Dec. 09, 2013 10:06 pm

Don't matter if there is a damper or not, it's the lack of overfire air that causes it. When reloading I always leave a little spot uncovered so the flames can burn off the gases.

ridgeracing
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine Stove

Post by ridgeracing » Sat. Dec. 21, 2013 10:23 pm

I am just chimming in hear, with my ds1600 having auto secondary air, daily after a 12-24hr burn I shake down 1st fully covering all red coals and reload. 30-60 seconds later I have blue flames. Never any explosions . Never opening any doors or touching mpd.

Maro
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Gravity fed hopper

Post by Maro » Sun. Jan. 05, 2014 4:11 pm

I just had a little pop happen yesterday. I shook the bed down thus moving fresh coal from the hopper (gravity fed) to the bed then I opened the hopper door (top loading) and it made a blue flash and a popping sound. There was no damage done. It startled me more than anything.
:o

SuperBeetle

Post by SuperBeetle » Sun. Jan. 05, 2014 4:15 pm

Wait till ya have a nuclear blast and see the ash cloud going across the room :shock:

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Jan. 05, 2014 6:19 pm

SuperBeetle wrote:Wait till ya have a nuclear blast and see the ash cloud going across the room :shock:
You been watchin me fire my Clayton? Where did ya hide the camera? :lol: :lol:

I've singed my eyebrows, mustache and arm hair more than once. Last time it happened, I stood up just in time to watch the flames completely wrap around my waist. :shock:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”