Minor Explosion in Coal Stove

AllanD
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HAND FIRED HARMON
Coal Size/Type: STOVE
Other Heating: Oil fired hotwater baseboard

Post by AllanD » Mon. Feb. 11, 2019 3:01 pm

Coal Must be HOT to burn that temperature is no different from it's "melting" (misnomer because at atmospheric pressure it doesn't melt, it sublimates)

On another point oxygen is not required for "burning" and this I can prove by heating Coal in a vacuum then providing elemental chlorine, you think the oxygen-carbon reaction is "fun" to watch?

You might also try elemental Fluorine, but if you are going to do anything with Fluorine warn me so I can be Far, FAR! away!

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Feb. 11, 2019 3:29 pm

I spent a number of years analyzing HF (up to and including anhydrous) and a multitude of HF synthesized compounds. And after that I supervised its manufacture. I did get severely burned once by anhydrous HF. I can still recall the doctor treating me asking me if I was prepared to lose my left arm from about 6" above the wrist. I told him (and the two nurses assisting him) to just keep pumping the wounds with calcium gluconate solution. I still have both arms, but my left arm doesn't have much strength, and I'm left handed. The arm is visibly bent a bit due to the muscles being pretty much destroyed on one side, and it still continually hurts like the dickens to this day (roughly 42 years later). And the arm bones are like Swiss cheese. Needless to say it ended my enjoyment for bowling. But we need to return this thread to its topic for discussion.

AllanD
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HAND FIRED HARMON
Coal Size/Type: STOVE
Other Heating: Oil fired hotwater baseboard

Post by AllanD » Mon. Feb. 11, 2019 3:55 pm

So I guess you don't want to be near the stuff either?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Feb. 11, 2019 4:15 pm

Damn Larry, you'd think you'd be right handed by NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL quote=lsayre post_id=696693 time=1549916952 user_id=122]
I spent a number of years analyzing HF (up to and including anhydrous) and a multitude of HF synthesized compounds. And after that I supervised its manufacture. I did get severely burned once by anhydrous HF. I can still recall the doctor treating me asking me if I was prepared to lose my left arm from about 6" above the wrist. I told him (and the two nurses assisting him) to just keep pumping the wounds with calcium gluconate solution. I still have both arms, but my left arm doesn't have much strength, and I'm left handed. The arm is visibly bent a bit due to the muscles being pretty much destroyed on one side, and it still continually hurts like the dickens to this day (roughly 42 years later). And the arm bones are like Swiss cheese. Needless to say it ended my enjoyment for bowling. But we need to return this thread to its topic for discussion.
[/quote]

oldcop135
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Schrock EZ-50
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut coal

Post by oldcop135 » Sun. Nov. 22, 2020 12:22 pm

2nd year coalburner here...my wife and I absolutely love our Schrock coal stove; it has performed flawlessly until earlier this morning.

It's a self-feeding model, so I hadn't filled it for 24 hrs. This morning I shook the ashes down and emptied the pan as usual. About ten minutes later an explosion occurred in the stove, strong enough to blow out the door glass, spraying glass shards across the room. Standing about 8 feet away, I was struck in the stomach and left arm; by the grace of God the only injury I suffered was a scratch on the arm. Needless to say, we've shut the stove down until we get the door glass replaced; I only wish I'd have run across this thread prior to this incident. My wife and I cleaned up the glass and dust, and otherwise we suffered no other damage. I inspected the flue and outside pipe, it's all good.

Like I said...by the grace of God.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Nov. 22, 2020 12:40 pm

oldcop135 wrote:
Sun. Nov. 22, 2020 12:22 pm
2nd year coalburner here...my wife and I absolutely love our Schrock coal stove; it has performed flawlessly until earlier this morning.

It's a self-feeding model, so I hadn't filled it for 24 hrs. This morning I shook the ashes down and emptied the pan as usual. About ten minutes later an explosion occurred in the stove, strong enough to blow out the door glass, spraying glass shards across the room. Standing about 8 feet away, I was struck in the stomach and left arm; by the grace of God the only injury I suffered was a scratch on the arm. Needless to say, we've shut the stove down until we get the door glass replaced; I only wish I'd have run across this thread prior to this incident. My wife and I cleaned up the glass and dust, and otherwise we suffered no other damage. I inspected the flue and outside pipe, it's all good.

Like I said...by the grace of God.
That had to be awful scary! if the stove is your only heat source you can cover the window with steel (not galvanized) until a window arrives.

oldcop135
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Schrock EZ-50
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut coal

Post by oldcop135 » Sun. Nov. 22, 2020 12:50 pm

Thanks for your concern. We have a propane furnace (which we hate using), luckily I can get the glass replaced locally by the Amish guy who makes these stoves. It was a bad experience; lesson learned!

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Sun. Dec. 06, 2020 5:49 pm

Never ever had this problem. I always burn with my secondaries open. I know I shouldn't be saying this, but I have been burning since 1988, and never screwed my stove pipes. And I have cleaned and replaced them a time or two since then. I guess maybe I should consider screwing them together.
Never heard of this coal explosion stuff before. I guess that must be that I am using some secondary air in my stoves.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Dec. 06, 2020 6:14 pm

It usually happens when you bury a hot fire with fresh coal and leave no source of ignition for the volatiles. The secondary air keeps the volatile gases diluted until they safely ignite.
Last edited by Lightning on Sun. Dec. 06, 2020 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Dec. 06, 2020 6:14 pm

I Used to purposely create conditions for a puff back so I could video them :lol:

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Wed. Dec. 09, 2020 8:35 pm

Ha! FOOOOMF!
I've now accumulated enough experience over the years to avoid blowing up the stove.
IMG_0110.jpeg
.JPEG | 797.6KB | IMG_0110.jpeg

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Sat. Oct. 23, 2021 10:37 am

Update When I got around to cleaning my stove and pipes this past spring, I screwed my pipes together. Even though I leave my secondaries open, I will play it safe by screwing the pipes together. Thank all for the info on this thread.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Oct. 23, 2021 12:16 pm

Better to be safe!
Time is drawing near, last year I lit the handfed at the end of October.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”