I Thought I Would Share. Hot Blast #153 Restoration

echos67

Post by echos67 » Wed. Dec. 07, 2011 7:42 pm

grumpy wrote:
echos67 wrote:That is going to be a great looking stove Grumpy, it looks as if you have a tremendous amount of patience as well I think I would have lost my mind by now.

I have a question about the finial, did the entire thing get coated ? The top with the name and the side pieces look like a different finish, maybe its just the picture or glare or ?
Thanks, the balls are copper and the rest is nickel..
Now that is a great looking finial for sure.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Wed. Dec. 07, 2011 11:23 pm

echos67 wrote:
grumpy wrote: Thanks, the balls are copper and the rest is nickel..
Now that is a great looking finial for sure.
Yeah, I never would have thought of doing it in copper like that. But when researching this stove I found one photo like that. I wonder if it was a factory option or someone just restored one like that.. But I like it :D

echos67

Post by echos67 » Wed. Dec. 28, 2011 6:30 pm

Hey Grumpy, any progress being made ?

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Dec. 28, 2011 6:52 pm

echos67 wrote:Hey Grumpy, any progress being made ?
By the way, young man; I gathered by a previous post that you have been running the Glenwood 6 and haven't said anything else about it or posted any pictures of it. I want to hear about what is happening with your stove. Don't make me have to pull this car over!!

echos67

Post by echos67 » Wed. Dec. 28, 2011 7:51 pm

wsherrick wrote:
echos67 wrote:Hey Grumpy, any progress being made ?
By the way, young man; I gathered by a previous post that you have been running the Glenwood 6 and haven't said anything else about it or posted any pictures of it. I want to hear about what is happening with your stove. Don't make me have to pull this car over!!
:whistle:
Yes Sir Mr William, I have in fact replaced the Summit with the 6 in the basement. I have not addressed it yet with posts or pictures because you know how women (the #6) get when they arent looking their best. I did take the entire base apart to clean and reseal everything and put it back together with new hardware. I have not replaced the spring on the secondary air control yet and I really havent done anything cosmetically except sandblast and polish a few parts. I also replaced the 2 center grates, sealed all the doors with high temp rtv, and resealed all joints throughout.

The burn times are long and easy to obtain, the stove is very forgiving and easy to operate, the heat just rolls off of it and I cant even hear it running :funny:

Just between you and I :secret: , this stove has been cruising in the 250* to 300* range and from the unfinished basement it keeps the first floor in the 70's, of course the basement is in the 90's. I have not gotten the air circulation down yet and don't want to cut anymore holes in my floors, but next year when she is on the first floor I have zero doubt it will heat this house on the coldest of days with ease. I can get this stove to idle around 175* when the outside temps are in the 50+ range and it just keeps burning on a load of coal. Thanks for the recomendation, your claims are spot on and I am sure once I get alittle more time running it I will be even more amazed.

I will post about it this spring or summer when I completely refurbish the stove mechanically and cosmetically and install it upstairs where she can be the focal point that it deserves :up: .

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Dec. 28, 2011 10:33 pm

echos67 wrote:
wsherrick wrote: By the way, young man; I gathered by a previous post that you have been running the Glenwood 6 and haven't said anything else about it or posted any pictures of it. I want to hear about what is happening with your stove. Don't make me have to pull this car over!!
:whistle:
Yes Sir Mr William, I have in fact replaced the Summit with the 6 in the basement. I have not addressed it yet with posts or pictures because you know how women (the #6) get when they arent looking their best. I did take the entire base apart to clean and reseal everything and put it back together with new hardware. I have not replaced the spring on the secondary air control yet and I really havent done anything cosmetically except sandblast and polish a few parts. I also replaced the 2 center grates, sealed all the doors with high temp rtv, and resealed all joints throughout.

The burn times are long and easy to obtain, the stove is very forgiving and easy to operate, the heat just rolls off of it and I cant even hear it running :funny:

Just between you and I :secret: , this stove has been cruising in the 250* to 300* range and from the unfinished basement it keeps the first floor in the 70's, of course the basement is in the 90's. I have not gotten the air circulation down yet and don't want to cut anymore holes in my floors, but next year when she is on the first floor I have zero doubt it will heat this house on the coldest of days with ease. I can get this stove to idle around 175* when the outside temps are in the 50+ range and it just keeps burning on a load of coal. Thanks for the recomendation, your claims are spot on and I am sure once I get alittle more time running it I will be even more amazed.

I will post about it this spring or summer when I completely refurbish the stove mechanically and cosmetically and install it upstairs where she can be the focal point that it deserves :up: .
Now you get to live on Coal Stove Easy Street too. Remember your Glenwood is putting out all of that heat for a minimum of coal consumption. Once you get the real hang of using it you will be really proud of how it operates. Now that makes six of us on the Forum that have a Glenwood No 6 Base Heater.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sat. Feb. 18, 2012 5:49 pm

Well it's almost done. It's fitted, all the holes in the cylinder have been drilled. The next step will be to disassemble it, paint the cylinder and polish some of the parts. Then it will be ready to install.

Attachments

IMG_4691.JPG
.JPG | 185.2KB | IMG_4691.JPG
IMG_4690.JPG
.JPG | 153.8KB | IMG_4690.JPG
IMG_4692.JPG
.JPG | 158.1KB | IMG_4692.JPG
hot blast.jpg
.JPG | 128.2KB | hot blast.jpg

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Feb. 18, 2012 6:12 pm

The stove is getting very nice. You made a super job on it, bravo!

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sat. Feb. 18, 2012 6:19 pm

nortcan wrote:The stove is getting very nice. You made a super job on it, bravo!
Thanks, it was a lot of work and a few bucks to boot.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Feb. 18, 2012 6:37 pm

grumpy wrote:
nortcan wrote:The stove is getting very nice. You made a super job on it, bravo!
Thanks, it was a lot of work and a few bucks to boot.
Yes but you made a really nice stove and you can be proud of the results. These stoves have a very good reputation in all the ways.
Hope to see it on the job as soon as possible!

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sun. Feb. 19, 2012 4:57 pm

I need one more part, the loading door latch. I'll look around or may Fab one myself.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Mon. Feb. 20, 2012 9:04 am

Grumpy,

I was wondering where you were hiding with this thing. Just want to say awesome job! The before and after is just amazing. Can't wait to see how she runs, but I suppose that won't be till next season? Again great work and congrates.

buck24
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Post by buck24 » Mon. Feb. 20, 2012 12:06 pm

grumpy..... Nice job on the stove. You have yourself a real work of art there. Good luck with her.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Tue. Feb. 21, 2012 2:37 pm

Thanks guy's, I still have a little bit of work to do but I did find the latch I need so I am good to go. Yeah it will most likely be next season but ya never know.

echos67

Post by echos67 » Thu. Feb. 23, 2012 8:02 pm

That sure is a pretty stove grumpy, what an amazing transformation from the before and after.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”