Painting a Coal Stove

chet

Post by chet » Sat. Oct. 13, 2007 5:05 pm

I purchased a used MK II today, probably going to pick it up today or tomorrow, question is the stove needs a paint job, I picked up some 1200 deg, flat black hi temp paint, will I have to burn the stove outside or can I install the stove and start it up without stinking up the house.

Chet

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sat. Oct. 13, 2007 6:53 pm

It will stink some, but not real bad if you start with a small wood fire and let it cook slowly.

If anyone in the family is sensitive to fumes, a short piece of 6" flue pipe and a hot wood fire in the back yard or driveway will do the curing in a hurry.

Greg L.

gambler

Post by gambler » Sun. Oct. 14, 2007 12:32 am

I gave my new paint job a burn off out in the driveway today and I can tell you that I am glad I did it outside and not in the house. Quite a bit of smoke and funes rolling off of the stove.

europachris

Post by europachris » Sun. Oct. 14, 2007 8:20 am

Interesting, I had very little smoke and fumes from my newly painted Keystoker upon first fire in the house, even though I was prepared.

Granted, I didn't let it rip at full throttle, but even so, with the convection fan running, it prevents the outside of the stove from ever getting near hot enough to actually cure the paint.

Most of the stink in the house was my problem trying to light the thing....

Chris

gambler

Post by gambler » Sun. Oct. 14, 2007 7:51 pm

I brought the stove up slow all the way to full throttle and left it burn at full for about 2 hours. I wanted to make sure all of the paint smell was gone in case I need to run the stove at full throttle this winter. The paint is definitely cured.

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Sun. Oct. 14, 2007 7:56 pm

I painted some of my radiator pipes, the can says "do not use above 180 degrees" I figured the pipes wouldn't get that hot. I was wrong. My basement smelled like an autobody shop for a few days.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”