Planning for, and Sizing a New(Used)Stove

NJTomatoguy

Post by NJTomatoguy » Fri. Mar. 11, 2011 10:02 pm

Hello all,
I am a woodburner. That got old 5 yrs in. I also have an awesome job, but am away from home for 10 hrs a day. I am determined to switch to coal this year.
A new stove would be nice, but, as always, finances are an issue. I have been in the house for 11 yrs, and will be here at least another 5-10.
Here is what I have.
Small bungalow ranch. 786 sq ft, over a crawlspace.
2 Br/1ba. Master br 18x20. Second br 10 by 12. LR 13 by 20, kitchen 12 by 15, small laundry room and bonus room/storage.
Very small bathroom. I am taxed on 786 sq ft. All rooms have vaulted ceilings. Even the bathroom.
I would like the stove to heat the whole house. I am looking for a recommendation.
A concern is that a larger stove would cook me out.
I am currently burning a CFM240007. It is a small woodstove from lowes. I have heated the house with it for
the past 5 yrs, and have not turned on the furnace in the past 2 years. I have the hearth ,obviously, and SS chimney.
It drops into the room, and I have single wall to the stove. Should I get double wall? It is a straight drop.

Hopefully, that is enough info to ask this.

What brand and size stove should I be looking for on craigslist/ebay, pennswoods, etc?

Thank you,
Robert

DoubleD

Post by DoubleD » Sat. Mar. 12, 2011 8:08 pm

I just bought a reconditioned "Chubby" coal stove from Larry Trainer, the owner of the company. It was alot cheaper then paying for a new stove and well worth it.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Mar. 12, 2011 8:16 pm

How broke up (walls) is the house? To me it sounds like a Hitzer 30-95 would do you well.I'm sure more people will chime in here. In the meantime--check out Hitzers website

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sat. Mar. 12, 2011 8:26 pm

Big decision. Hand fed or girly stoker. I used a hand fed for 27 years. The new Keystoker is soo easy. If you work hard and want to come home to a nice warm house than stoker is way to go. If power is an issue, I mean in reliability than a hand fed is the way to go. The learning curve of a hand fed is a challenge for some. A stoker is without learning issues, it is like owning a horse, put it in one end and take it out of the other.

fastcat
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Nut/Stove Mix

Post by fastcat » Sat. Mar. 12, 2011 11:35 pm

2001Sierra wrote:Big decision. Hand fed or girly stoker. I used a hand fed for 27 years. The new Keystoker is soo easy. If you work hard and want to come home to a nice warm house than stoker is way to go. If power is an issue, I mean in reliability than a hand fed is the way to go. The learning curve of a hand fed is a challenge for some. A stoker is without learning issues, it is like owning a horse, put it in one end and take it out of the other.
I need to agree here, I tried a 90000 BTU stoker to heat my 2500 sq ft and it didn't work for me, but I sold it to a friend of mine with a 1100 sq ft house and it works GREAT. He started his stove the same time as I did OCT 15 and he has only burned 2 1/2 ton to date and he is keeping his house at 73* constant. He has the LL with the coal-trol and it is doing a fine job for him.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Mar. 13, 2011 12:19 am

2001Sierra wrote:Big decision. Hand fed or girly stoker. I used a hand fed for 27 years. The new Keystoker is soo easy. If you work hard and want to come home to a nice warm house than stoker is way to go. If power is an issue, I mean in reliability than a hand fed is the way to go. The learning curve of a hand fed is a challenge for some. A stoker is without learning issues, it is like owning a horse, put it in one end and take it out of the other.
Remember you are back in the He Man side of the house since you got the Magee Base Burner, although Base Burners are extremely easy to operate once you learn how they work. You might be surprised to find that you might get similar heat out of the Magee while using about a third of the coal.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sun. Mar. 13, 2011 12:43 am

freetown fred wrote:How broke up (walls) is the house? To me it sounds like a Hitzer 30-95 would do you well.I'm sure more people will chime in here. In the meantime--check out Hitzers website
My thoughts too. HITZER 30-95.

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Sun. Mar. 13, 2011 1:19 am

I am hopeing to move to a 1000 sq.ft. house from my 1300 sq. ft. house, and am taking my Hitzer 30-95 with me. Gravity fed hopper means long burn times with no electricity needed. You should be able to heat your house while maintaining a low fire in a Hitzer. A low fire makes for a long stove life and fewer clinker and ash build-up problems.

On the other hand, a stoker can maintain a lower heat output than a hand fed. In a house of 786 sq.ft. you are likely to suffer more from excess heat output than you are from lack of heat. For that reason alone, I would at least consider a small stoker for a house that small. :idea:

NJTomatoguy

Post by NJTomatoguy » Tue. Mar. 15, 2011 8:44 pm

Thank you for all the great advice. I am concerned about getting heated out of the house.
I looked up the hitzer. Great stove. Now to find one at the right price.
If anyone sees one in NJ/eastern PA/Del. give a heads up.
Thanks again guys
Robert

fastcat
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Nut/Stove Mix

Post by fastcat » Tue. Mar. 15, 2011 11:55 pm

Hitzer 35-90 coal stove - $700 (Oswego)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-02-17, 12:30PM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Up for sale is my Hitzer EZ-FLO 30-95. It can use either nut or pea Anthracite coal, burns pretty clean and low ash. This stove has a 6" flue and a barometric draft control, hot air blower motor, auto damper. I put new ceramic glass in the front door about 2 years ago. I also replaced all gaskets at the same time. Fire brick is in good shape as are the internal grates and the internal coal chute, ash pan. This can be loaded from the top with chute in, or from the front if you take chute out. The paint is nicked and scratched here and there. I have a can of high temp paint for I will throw it in if I can find it. Also included is approx 9 or 10 feet of single wall 6" pipe. You can go to http://www.hitzer.com/products/stove/Model-30_95- ... pper-Stove and see more specs. I found I can fit almost 40lbs of coal in the chute. I ran this for a few years to heat my ranch which is approx 2400 sq ft. This thing puts out serious heat. You can burn wood in this but it is not as efficient as an air tight unit.

I am selling this for $700 or I would consider taking a good used air tight wood stove as a partial trade. I am looking for a decent Vermont Castings wood stove or Alaska Kodiak or Stoker type. I might consider a trade or partial trade for a high end snow blower unit like Ariens, John Deere, or Simplicity. Drop me an email with questions or offers. PLEASE SEND PHOTOS of any wood stove you want to barter in deal. If I like what I see I will send you my phone number and we can work from there. No I am not interested in trading for guns, cars snowmobiles, or old beat up junkie wood stove, etc. Only reason I am selling is I want to switch from coal to wood. Thanks for looking.

Just an added note, this is the fancy model. It has the extra gold finish on parts and is a brownish bronzy color. Unit needs nothing but a new owner and home to heat. Again this unit puts out enough heat to heat my ranch which is approx 2400 sq ft. Currently this is setup in my basement where you see it in photos. Photo 4 is the barometric control which is included.

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”