Just Fired up My New Stove

Howudoin2427
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93

Post by Howudoin2427 » Thu. Mar. 10, 2011 8:25 pm

Hello everybody,
I just fired up my stove a few hours ago everything went pretty good I just have a couple questions. I was wondering what are some good operating temps to be looking for. I put my thermometer alittle above and behind the shaker grate handle and currently im operating at about 650 degrees there. I got alittle nervous earlier because I started to get some higher temps when I was working on filling the firebox up to the hopper so I could fill the hopper. Another question I have is I got everything filled and I let the volitile gasses burn off, but how long do you let them burn off. if you leave the door open too long you over fire the stove. basically I have a nice bed of coals right now I can see under the top layer, but the whole bed isnt glowing which is what I was thinking it would look like. I cut it back alittle im only operating at like a 6 on the dial because I was worried about high temps. im just worried about leaving it if I didnt burn off the gasses properly. I think with some temps to go by I could feel alittle better. What is the highest temp that is safe to operate at? Im sure I will think of some more questions as well but not at the moment the fumes kind of messed with me I think lol

Howudoin2427

Post by Howudoin2427 » Thu. Mar. 10, 2011 8:30 pm

Couple pics

Attachments

IMAG0364.jpg

This is when I was filling the firebox liveing it up

.JPG | 73.9KB | IMAG0364.jpg
IMAG0366.jpg

This is what its looking like now

.JPG | 17.8KB | IMAG0366.jpg

fastcat
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Nut/Stove Mix

Post by fastcat » Thu. Mar. 10, 2011 8:57 pm

First off the setting numbers on the dial won't mean anything due to the fact each stove is differant. I would say you are at about your limit at 650*. That stove sure looks like a Hitzer. Burning gasses off you need to watch your stove pipe temp and start closing things up when you start reaching 550 - 600*, How is your draft? Do you use a damper MPD or baro or both or none? With a good draft and mine is .05 all the time I leave my settings on the stove alone, shake then open ash door, a few seconds later I open the glass door about 2", then open the hopper door fill the hopper making sure there are no chips where hopper door closes and latch it down, empty ash pan and put it back in close glass door wait 3 to 4 min till I have what looks like little blow torchs then close the ash pan door and it is set. It will take a few min to come back up to temp right where you had it set. Still looks like a Hitzer. :D

Howudoin2427

Post by Howudoin2427 » Thu. Mar. 10, 2011 8:58 pm

Alittle better picture this is with the dial set at 7 the damper is open about 3/8 to1/2 inch

Attachments

IMAG0369.jpg
.JPG | 22.5KB | IMAG0369.jpg

Howudoin2427

Post by Howudoin2427 » Thu. Mar. 10, 2011 9:18 pm

Ok thanks that's what I was wondering if you go by stack temp or stove temp. Right now I actually do have a mpd installed but don't have my manometer set up yet so I'm keeping it open

DennisH
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon-Eagle Klondike IV
Other Heating: Propane

Post by DennisH » Fri. Mar. 11, 2011 5:55 pm

I just put a probe thermometer in my exhaust flue, basically between the flue collar and the baro damper. I've hit a sweet spot between 500-600degF and that is heating my house in the U.P. of Michigan rather nicely. Last night it was 10degF outside and a very cozy 75 inside!

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Fri. Mar. 11, 2011 6:18 pm

fastcat wrote:First off the setting numbers on the dial won't mean anything due to the fact each stove is differant. I would say you are at about your limit at 650*. That stove sure looks like a Hitzer. Burning gasses off you need to watch your stove pipe temp and start closing things up when you start reaching 550 - 600*, How is your draft? Do you use a damper MPD or baro or both or none? With a good draft and mine is .05 all the time I leave my settings on the stove alone, shake then open ash door, a few seconds later I open the glass door about 2", then open the hopper door fill the hopper making sure there are no chips where hopper door closes and latch it down, empty ash pan and put it back in close glass door wait 3 to 4 min till I have what looks like little blow torchs then close the ash pan door and it is set. It will take a few min to come back up to temp right where you had it set. Still looks like a Hitzer. :D
HITZER.........My first thoughts also. I'd try running around 350* - 450* foe stove body. Useing magnetic thermometer, stack temp should settle in at around 175* - 200* this time of year.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Mar. 11, 2011 6:47 pm

HD,when did you get the Hitzer in your avatar :?: ;) Sure looks just like mine

Howudoin2427

Post by Howudoin2427 » Mon. Mar. 14, 2011 5:03 am

Thanks guys yeah I just ordered a couple new thermometers the one I had was starting at 175 with no heat so I was getting some higher temperatures which is why I asked for the average temps. and fred I changed my picture alittle while ago im going to put a better picture up

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Mar. 14, 2011 8:22 am

Outstanding ;)
Howudoin2427 wrote:Thanks guys yeah I just ordered a couple new thermometers the one I had was starting at 175 with no heat so I was getting some higher temperatures which is why I asked for the average temps. and fred I changed my picture alittle while ago im going to put a better picture up

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”