Okay to Shut Down Convection Blower?

jschaefer7406

Post by jschaefer7406 » Sat. Mar. 05, 2011 7:47 am

Hello all,

Have a dumb question here, which I think is pretty obvious. New to coal though, so I want to be sure ;). Is it okay to kill the convection blower for a long period of time and allow the furnace to idle? Heading for the 50s again here today. Combine that with the drizzle outside and the house is a balmy 78 (needless to say, draft is nearly 100% closed as well). I'd imagine it'd be no different than a hand fired stove, but don't want to overheat or anything. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Joe

CoaLen
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by CoaLen » Sat. Mar. 05, 2011 7:53 am

If its idleing you won't overheat anything, but if its idleing the blower won't go on anyhow. I'd leave it alone.
Just make sure you maintain a .02-.04 draft and let it idle.
You may have to adjust your windowstats to cool the rooms a bit. :lol:

jschaefer7406

Post by jschaefer7406 » Sat. Mar. 05, 2011 8:03 am

CoaLen wrote:if its idleing the blower won't go on anyhow
Thanks for the reply. Problem is, my blower runs 24/7 (even idling). Not sure if the fan/limit switch isn't working properly or what, but the blower hasn't shut off in two months :(. I do think maybe its too small for the furnace, and not able to extract the heat fast enough to cycle off. Either way, blower is running non-stop even at the lowest idle. Being an old house, many of the windows can't reliably be opened :( (need replacements one of these years ;)). That's why I'd like to try killing the blower...

As for the draft, baro is setup for. 04" and is still not completely closed, so I must have a good draft yet. No worries there at this point ;).

Joe

jschaefer7406

Post by jschaefer7406 » Thu. Mar. 17, 2011 11:52 am

Hello all,

Any more info on this? Fan/limit switch does work, as it will cycle off eventually if draft is all but closed. May be sticking a little, but it does eventually cycle off...

Problem is, even at this setting, the house is still too warm on some days. Can't close the draft any further or it will be completely closed (have been advised against that in the past). Most windows in my house cant reliably be opened. Headed for 63 today, so I'd like a confirmation that killing the blower all day wont do any harm. Anyone?

Thanks,

Joe

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sat. Mar. 19, 2011 6:27 am

Your stove won't overheat if you shut down the convection blower.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”