Some on This Site Calling the Kodiak a Stoker

ron54

Post by ron54 » Sun. Sep. 30, 2007 6:48 am

I've seen several posts on this site calling the Alaska Kodiak a stoker. Why? This is a handfired unit.

Also, does the Kodiak hold up after many years like the Harman? Alaska gives a 10 year warranty on its body & workmanship, but I can't seem to find older Kodiak models.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Sep. 30, 2007 9:13 am

Call the Alaska factory or your dealer and ask them for the history of the use of the model name Kodiak. The current Kodiak is the one you ordered, hand fed with a top feed feature.

But I've seen older Alaska stoves that have the model name Kodiak that are stoker stoves. A popular name that Alaska has reincarnated.

Logic would say that the reason you don't find old Alaska stoves is that they are hard at work for their owners, and aren't for sale. Or they were sold in lesser quantities than other brands. They do come up on Ebay ocassionally.

GL

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sun. Sep. 30, 2007 9:37 am

I have an Alaska Kodiak that is a 85K BTU stoker (Triburner style, old school!).

BTW, it will be on ebay in a couple weeks, refurbed and ready to go! :lol:

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Mon. Oct. 01, 2007 2:37 am

Alaska stoves been using the name kodiak since they open there doors up in 1977 they first used the name on there woodburning stoves and fireplace stove then in 1979 for there Handfeed coal stoves and then on there coal stokers I had one of there first handfeed coal stoves made in 1979 called kodiak Later I had two woodstoves made in 1980 one was a single door and the other was a twin door fireplace model both were named kodiak Now I have a 1998 model kodiak hopper feed handfeed stove Hope this answered your question ron54

ron54

Post by ron54 » Mon. Oct. 01, 2007 4:56 am

coal berner wrote:Alaska stoves been using the name kodiak since they open there doors up in 1977 they first used the name on there woodburning stoves and fireplace stove then in 1979 for there Handfeed coal stoves and then on there coal stokers I had one of there first handfeed coal stoves made in 1979 called kodiak Later I had two woodstoves made in 1980 one was a single door and the other was a twin door fireplace model both were named kodiak Now I have a 1998 model kodiak hopper feed handfeed stove Hope this answered your question ron54
Quality wise is this an excellent stove? Or am I better with the Harman, or Hitzer?

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Mon. Oct. 01, 2007 12:07 pm

ron54 If you go to Hitzer and Harman Web site you will see both of these stove require more distance between back & side from combustible materials Also you will see that Hitzer has 1/4" steel Plate top and 3 /16 " steel plate Body The Harman as one piece 1/4" steel plate for the whole stove You are talking about 1/16" of a inch Differences between AlASKA and Harman and as well as Hitzer not Much differences look at a Tape Measure or a Yardstick or maybe a Ruler If You Own one And see for yourself

heatwithcoal
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: AK-110

Post by heatwithcoal » Mon. Oct. 01, 2007 12:35 pm

Actually, I have an older Alaska stoker in the classifieds on this site. I do not know for sure what model this is. Any insite as to the model from people have seen this stove in the past would be very much appreciated.

I have seen similar stoves on EBay listed as Kodiaks but they did not have the angled side panels on each side of the firebox like the stove I have.

[dead link removed]

Thanks,

Mark

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Mon. Oct. 01, 2007 1:11 pm

Hi Mark, the angled sides are typical of the "Kast Console" line stoves.

The currently available Kast Console II is the closest to what you have. The biggest difference besides the old style Triburner stoker system is the lack of ornate cast iron pieces on your stove, also the style glass for the door on yours has a notch cut out of the corner because of where the latch is placed.

BTW I have a grate and hopper for your stove if the person who purchases it is interested. Best wishes for a speedy sale! :)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”