Ash From Our Coal in Alaska

Short Bus
Stoker Coal Boiler: Kewanee boiler with Anchor stoker
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut / Sub-bituminous C
Other Heating: Propane wall furnace back up only

Post by Short Bus » Thu. Feb. 24, 2011 11:03 pm

Found this artical about Coal Ash in Fairbanks today, front page of the Faribanks paper.
I noticed they mention the solubility for the polutants late in the artical, sounds like some contaminats are bound up together in such a way they don't release when exposed to water, like a ceramic cup with polutants in the clay before it is fired.
http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_news/new-repo ... 9f9ed.html

AKShadow
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 523
Coal Size/Type: Sub-bituminous, stove

Post by AKShadow » Thu. Mar. 10, 2011 10:08 am

It seems to me that figuring out ways to burn coal and dispose of ash safely would be more environmentally sound than cutting down all of the trees around us and not replanting just to keep warm. I burn wood for sure but you never hear about the health risks associated and especially never hear anything refuting the counterintuitve idea that burning wood is "green". A little off subject but I'm tired of coal being "dirty" and wood being able to escape any public ridicule both have very negative aspects. I think burning coal is a little easier to swallow since we can actually use the ash in other industrial products, but you're not going to see professional wood salesmen going around replanting after they cut - only in the lumber industry.

valley trash

Post by valley trash » Wed. Mar. 30, 2011 7:07 am

No worries, coal ash will be the future of road repair and construction.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-03-ash-coal-bill ... roads.html

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”