Shutting Down Too Often?

msfagnani

Post by msfagnani » Sun. Feb. 06, 2011 2:45 pm

I have a friend who is attempting to keep from burning his house down while he is not home. He shuts his stove down approximately once a week, which means he fires it back up once a week. Just to prove a point I am curious as to how bad this is for your stove. (Any why he doesn't just burn wood) Any thoughts?

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Sun. Feb. 06, 2011 2:50 pm

I don't think its bad to shut down the stove once a week. But it is kind of time consuming to restart a coal fire twice a week. I mean it averages from what I've read on here 30-40 minutes to get the fire going from nothing. I can say that it takes me around 40 minutes some of the other members I'm sure can get theirs going quicker.

I've only shut down once this winter and that was on January 6th when I shut the Chubby down to install the DS. But the DS has not been shut down since installing it.

jpete
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Post by jpete » Sun. Feb. 06, 2011 2:51 pm

I don't think it's bad. Just a huge waste of coal, time, and money.

I'm sure he's nervous about burning the house down, we all are to some extent, but honestly, I think everyone here runs their stove 24/7. Some of them all year round!

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sun. Feb. 06, 2011 4:37 pm

Why is he nervous about burning his house down? A properly installed stove is extremely safe. I'd say certainly safer than wood because there is no creosote. If he is as nervous as it seems, does he extinguish it before he goes to bed?

To answer the question, I don't believe it does any harm at all to shut down & relight.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Feb. 06, 2011 4:43 pm

I agree, I don't really think the stove is an issue. His peace of mind probably is, some people just need to do things their way whether it really matters or not.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Feb. 06, 2011 4:48 pm

You didn't mention how long he would be gone from the house?? Maybe he just feels more comfortable doing it the way he does it & likes playing with his stove like we all do to a point. I can't figure out the suggestion about burning wood :?: :?---No it doesn't harm the stove at all :)

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Feb. 06, 2011 5:15 pm

Is his stove instalation a cobbled together job? Poor flue pipe joints, few if any screws in flue joints.. tired old chimney, or rusty old metal chimney??

Or,, is it a nice clean, properly done instalation, and he's just nervous about leaving a burning fire behind??

If he's got a good stove, good draft etc. he should be able to cut down the air to the fire and just let the fire 'simmer' at low heat..

But, like coaledsweat mentioned above.. peace of mind for the homeowner .. well he's the one who has to learn to be comfortable.

Greg L

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”