Craiglist Coal Stoves for Sale.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Sun. Feb. 06, 2011 8:06 am

This past week I lost out on two Glenwood # 6 Base Heaters that were listed on Craigslist for a fraction of their retail value.

This was my own fault, partly because I didn't expect to find such a great stove on Craigslist, especially not two of them in the same week.

For my benefit, and the benefit of others, I thought that a thread could be started where people could post links to stoves that they find listed on the internet. The source of the listing doesn't really matter, be it The Bargain News, Craigslist, Ebay or your local newspaper.

For starters, here is a stove posted on Craigslist:
**Broken Link(s) Removed**
I suggest that people cut and paste information about the listing or manually type it in like I have below.

It's a Penn Garnet coal stove made by Finn Stove Works listed for $ 1,500.00 which may or may not be a good deal. I could not find out anything about this particular stove on the internet. Looks like it may be a "double-heater" due to the location of the top pipe.

mason coal burner

Post by mason coal burner » Sun. Feb. 06, 2011 8:59 am

that stove is worth a fortune someone needs to buy it quick .

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Feb. 06, 2011 11:34 am

EarthWindandFire wrote:For my benefit, and the benefit of others, I thought that a thread could be started where people could post links to stoves that they find listed on the internet. The source of the listing doesn't really matter, be it The Bargain News, Craigslist, Ebay or your local newspaper.
Better check with the mayor on that one. My feeling is if someone is interested, they will look for themselves.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Feb. 06, 2011 12:43 pm

We used to fill up the forum with ebay links. used up lots of space. so Richard called a stop to it.. pretty sure he will say the same about craigslist links..

Greg L

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Feb. 06, 2011 3:41 pm

That is a very nice base burner and yes it is a double heater. The price for it is very reasonable if it is complete and is operational. If I bought it the first thing I would do is have a second set of grates cast for it from the existing ones.

EarthWindandFire

Post by EarthWindandFire » Mon. Feb. 07, 2011 9:19 pm

Unfortunately this stove is located 300 miles from me.

The town of Westminster is about 17 miles south of Sykesville, Maryland according to the map.

The poster says the stove measures 59" inches tall and 24" deep.

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Mon. Feb. 07, 2011 11:17 pm

I'm 10 miles from Westminster. I'll call the seller tomorrow and If it's still for sale go look at it.

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Mon. Feb. 07, 2011 11:21 pm

wsherrick wrote:That is a very nice base burner and yes it is a double heater. The price for it is very reasonable if it is complete and is operational. If I bought it the first thing I would do is have a second set of grates cast for it from the existing ones.
Hey Will! This isn't from the baseburner crowd, but is relevant anyway. Where do you get castings done reasonable? I need a set of grates for a Van Wert Boiler and would like to pursue that possibility. By the way, I have been checking out your baseburner threads. Real good stuff! Scott

Yanche

Post by Yanche » Tue. Feb. 08, 2011 11:33 am

I just returned from looking at the stove. Less than 5 miles from me. It is a base burner. Couple is selling it because they putting their house up for sale next month. They are asking what they paid for it at an antique store. They tried to burn coal unsuccessfully in it. They did burn wood in it. They did not realize it was a base burner and didn't properly hook it up. There may be a piece missing. I don't know anything about base burners, so I don't know how the two smoke pipe outlets might connect. If they do with something that's part of the stove, that's missing. You could make it work but you would have to make your own stovepipe tee. I took pictures. PM me if you want the pictures. I'm not sure what the forum's policy is on posting pictures for a craig's list item.

EarthWindandFire

Post by EarthWindandFire » Tue. Feb. 08, 2011 1:56 pm

Hi Yanche,

I believe that the top pipe you spoke of can actually pipe hot air to an adjacent room if needed.

The lower pipe is the stoves exhaust.

These "double-heater" stoves are rare, even more so than base-burners. That doesn't mean this stove is worth fifteen hundred. I'm just saying that it's different than a standard stove.

I've attached a picture of a "double-heater" originally posted on this forum by William Sherrick.

Attachments

Art Andes Double Heater.jpg
.JPG | 120.5KB | Art Andes Double Heater.jpg

Yanche

Post by Yanche » Tue. Feb. 08, 2011 5:31 pm

Well, you learn something new every day. Like I said I know little about stoves, beyond put fuel in and take ashes out. :-)

oros35
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Cozeburn OWB burning Bit
Baseburners & Antiques: 1912 Smith & Anthony Hub Heater #215

Post by oros35 » Tue. Feb. 08, 2011 8:50 pm

The Penn Garnet Stove will be making a trip from Maryland to Pittsburgh PA on Saturday!

I've been looking for something for my father for some time now. Because of this thread (and some other coincidences that brought it all together - an uncle that lives 8 miles from the stove, nice pictures from Yanche, and good timing) I think I found a real nice one. Thanks for posting it up.

I'll definitely post up some pictures when we get it home.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Tue. Feb. 08, 2011 10:32 pm

stokerscot wrote:
wsherrick wrote:That is a very nice base burner and yes it is a double heater. The price for it is very reasonable if it is complete and is operational. If I bought it the first thing I would do is have a second set of grates cast for it from the existing ones.
Hey Will! This isn't from the baseburner crowd, but is relevant anyway. Where do you get castings done reasonable? I need a set of grates for a Van Wert Boiler and would like to pursue that possibility. By the way, I have been checking out your baseburner threads. Real good stuff! Scott
Tomahawk Foundry in Wisconsin. They specialize in antique stove castings. They are friendly, helpful and prompt. See link below.

http://thebizbasket.com/subsites/home.asp?ID=57

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Tue. Feb. 08, 2011 10:50 pm

Thanks Will. It's appreciated :)

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Tue. Feb. 08, 2011 10:58 pm

LsFarm wrote:We used to fill up the forum with ebay links. used up lots of space. so Richard called a stop to it.. pretty sure he will say the same about craigslist links..

Greg L
Yes Greg. That's why I stopped posting links. Richard said "NO". Have to respect his ruling. Oliver

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”