Harman SF260 Price

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Sat. Feb. 05, 2011 4:16 pm

well went to local dealer talked about the sf 260 coal boiler. I been looking at this unit for about 2 years, and comparing to others. Got to give the new one a good looking over, inside, out. Looks well built, welds all look clean, spatter, bubble free.
So then we got to the big question....how much? price includes the aquastat, draft servo motor assy.

$3649.00...... asked about availability, time if not in stock, how long of a wait for order to be filled. He said Harman is able to supply him with a unit in 1 to 2 weeks at present time. He said about a year and a half ago, the lead time for getting one was about 6 to 9 months.
Dealer stocks spare parts for this boiler, stat and servo motors.

The price has gone up a lot since last pricing, year and half ago, by about $900 dollars. So I need to get on the balll and get one before prices go up again. Anyone here using a Harman hand feed boiler? if so any issues, likes, disllikes?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Feb. 06, 2011 4:20 pm

Anyone here using a Harman hand feed boiler? if so any issues, likes, disllikes?
Everyone gets to have an opinion on this, so here is mine.

I ran an Itasca 415 for a year and half...which is very similar to the Harman SF260 in size and operation. The boiler started to leak in December, and I ripped it out in favor of an EFM DF520 stoker boiler. After making the switch, I cannot imagine going back to a hand-fed boiler. Hand-fed boilers have a very large firebox, and hold a lot of coal. They do alright with a steady heat load, and 12 hour shake/reload cycles. The problems start when you have infrequent calls for heat, or when you try and idle a boiler with 100 lbs of burning coal on a warm day. The hand-fed boilers tend to be sluggish to respond on infrequent calls for heat, and most require a decent dump zone to take care of the excess heat on mild days. My wife and I used to open windows and do laundry with hot water just to bleed off some btus from the Itasca on sunny 30 degree days. Now that we are running a stoker the heat is always where it is set, and it can go 24 hours with no intervention. Today it was 33 degrees and sunny, so the EFM just "slept" all day and occasionally ran off the timer.

In summary, I STRONGLY encourage you to look at a stoker boiler before you buy a new hand-fed. I have met quite a few coal burners in the last three years, and I never met one that said "boy I wish I hadn't replaced my hand-fed ___ with a stoker boiler". With no exception, everyone that upgraded to a stoker boiler was glad they made the switch.

Refurbished units are available for about the same cost as the Harman you priced, and I think you would be much happier with the performance.

-Rob

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Sun. Feb. 06, 2011 4:39 pm

Welcome Wilder! Don't know where you are, but if Mark Viii didn't talk you into a stoker boiler, there has been a SF260 up in Vermont near the Canadian border. The dad passed away last spring, and mom isn't able to manage the boiler by herself.
The daughter is selling if for her mom, and I think it was an 09 model. Almost brand new.....Look on Craigslist in Vermont, under Coal. PM me if you don't see it. :idea:

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Sun. Feb. 06, 2011 4:42 pm

I sent you a PM with info, so I hope you know how to retrieve a PM. Good luck!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”