Quick Start Method Video

vegeta_ban
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pocono bottom vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice is so nice
Other Heating: Oil, yuk on the price

Post by vegeta_ban » Sat. Feb. 08, 2014 1:21 pm

A big thank you. With the massive problems of no power down in southeast PA, I most definitely will be getting a back up hand fired stove. A couple questions.

1.). Is the larger sized coal way less dusty? I see you use oiled coal. If I don't have access to oiled coal I would think that is still relatively dust free compared to rice.

2.). Since I have a Pocono which is a little too small for the 10*F and below days for my house I would think a large hand fired is the way to go since it would be the backup if I lose electricity. Does that make sense?

3.). I am not to sure about running these at a slower burn rate to add only a little heat to help the Pocono. That is possible once you get the hang of the air intake an MPD, right?

Thank you again.

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Sat. Feb. 08, 2014 1:29 pm

Get a stove sized to heat the whole house when on full burn. It is easy to throttle them down once you get the hang of things. You can always reduce the size of the firebox with fire brick,....if necessary. You just have to balance the cost of a larger stove against one that will do the job most of the time.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”