Is It Possible to Put a Water Coil on My Stove (Hitzer 254)

JohnnyV
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 254
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Pellet stove far end of house

Post by JohnnyV » Fri. Feb. 04, 2011 10:38 pm

Is it possible? Is it worthwhile?

I was talking to a guy who stopped by and he couldn't believe the heat that the stove was giving off for all the more the coal was burning. As we were talking I thought ..... boy there is a lot of heat being wasted that could be used in the rest of the house. If I could take some of that heat and heat up water and tie it into my hot water heating system for the rest of the house then I would be set.

I am not expecting to heat the entire house with it, but would like to just heat up the water in the oil furnace, maybe even 20 degrees. That way when the furnace does run it won't run for long as the water is hotter than it otherwise was.

What are your thoughts on this? BTW: this is my first season of burning coal.

Thanks

Johnny

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sat. Feb. 05, 2011 8:17 am

These are stoves, not boilers. If you have a storage tank, it might work for domestic hot water, but not for whole house heating. It might help a bit, if you have enough volume and keep it flowing and all the safety devices.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Feb. 05, 2011 10:30 am

The hot water coils for the smaller stoves are very short, only 2 or 3 feet is exposed to heat. It's a slow process and really only suitable for domestic hot water. It will slowly heat the water up in a tank like that and pretty economical since it will naturally circulate into the tank. If you're going to install one that is the best route to take.

The larger boilers have a much longer coil as in, 20, 30 feet? I really don't know the total length but its very long and in the case of the one we have in the Van Wert it's ribbed so there is lot more surface area to absorb heat. With those you can produce instant hot water and start with are ratings in the 8GPM range.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”