Who Makes the Coal Handfired Stoves for Lowes & Home Dep

ron54

Post by ron54 » Thu. Sep. 20, 2007 2:57 pm

Lowes & Home depot sell coal hand fired stoves. Who makes these for them?

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Thu. Sep. 20, 2007 9:48 pm

Peoples Republic of China? With US scrap metal shipped over seas & recycled. ':lol:'

jpen1
Stoker Coal Boiler: LL110
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Buck

Post by jpen1 » Thu. Sep. 20, 2007 9:56 pm

I think US stove makes them but they might as well be made in China. One good coal fire and that 14GA fire box will be a pile of molten goo :shock: .

JerseyCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco Belge model 10.1475

Post by JerseyCoal » Thu. Sep. 20, 2007 10:13 pm

BEWARE OF STOVES/FIREPLACES SOLD BY LOWES OR HOME DEPOT!!!
Those retailers approach manufacturers and tell them what product they want and the price it must sell for. This results in manufacturers cutting costs by cutting corners. With a stove or fireplace, this could and does compromise SAFETY!

Years ago I purchased a vent-free natural gas fireplace from Lowes. I couldn't believe how cheap it was. The damn thing nearly killed me and my son with carbon monixide. I had installed the fireplace in the living room. While watching a video in the living room, my son developed a severe headache. He walked to his bedroom to get a blanket and noticed that the CO detector in the hallway was registering a number. The alarm had not sounded, but the CO was bad enough that he was badly sickened.

I opened the windows and shut down the fireplace. The next day I disconnected the fireplace and returned it to Lowes with a word of caution.

Whatever money you think you are saving, it isn't worth the health or life of you family. Spend the money and buy a reputable stove from a reputable manufacturer.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Sep. 20, 2007 11:40 pm

JerseyCoal wrote:Whatever money you think you are saving, it isn't worth the health or life of you family. Spend the money and buy a reputable stove from a reputable manufacturer.
That is good advice. In addition you will get an economical to operate stove that will last longer than you. :)

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sat. Sep. 22, 2007 2:29 pm

[
Can't blame this one on Lowes. You bought non-vented gas logs. Think about it. You are burning a large amount of gas and the byproducts are discharged into the living space. They should be illegal but are not. I tell my clients that there is no such thing as non-vented gas logs. They are "room vented and lung filtered." If you read the manual that comes with them, they tell you to use in a ventilated area. In other words, open a window. They are very dangerous

JerseyCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco Belge model 10.1475

Post by JerseyCoal » Sat. Sep. 22, 2007 8:59 pm

Hi Coalkirk:
You are exactly correct. When guests would ask where the chimney was, I would tell them their lungs were the chimney and that's why I invited them over.
However, I purchased another vent-free unit from a reputable stove/fireplave store and paid about triple the price. Never had a problem with it. Both units were operating while a window was cracked open. The cheaper unit just generated way more CO than the better unit.
John.

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Sat. Sep. 22, 2007 9:44 pm

A vent free fireplace isn't much different than a propane fired oven, no chimney with that either.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Sep. 23, 2007 12:24 am

Yea, sort of. But an oven burner is set to burn with a nice efficient blue flame while the gas logs are purposely set to have orange and yellow in the flame to look authentic. That inefficient combustion is what produces the bad stuff. Also, you typically wouldn't leave your oven on for hours at a time, except maybe at Thanksgiving. Maybe that's what makes everyone sleepy and not the turkey?

Duengeon master
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

Post by Duengeon master » Sun. Sep. 23, 2007 7:47 am

ron54 wrote:Lowes & Home depot sell coal hand fired stoves. Who makes these for them?
If you look under the ...jeez a 200,000 BTU potbelly forum, they sell that stove at lowes :| it is a vogelzang.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”