Northern Comfort Stove- Desperately Seeking Information!

hanick

Post by hanick » Thu. Feb. 03, 2011 4:25 pm

I “inherited” a large, steel coal stove which is missing its grate and ash pan. The only markings, in large letters across the front are “Northern comfort”. A global search on this site and an exhaustive search on the Internet turned up nothing other than a few ads on Craig’s list for wood stoves which the company manufactured. There is an unrelated company by the same name in Canada that is a resaleor not a manufacturer and the company in New York with the same name but also not the manufacturer. It appears to be very substantial and well made.

I realize it was probably manufactured before regulations put everyone out of business. I live in an old carriage house with a full basement. The first floor is reinforced concrete. On our coldest days in Connecticut I would like to fire it up and get the first floor warm.

Has anyone heard of the company? Does anyone know what type of grate it originally used? Does anyone know where I can get a grate and ash pan or find parts that would work? I will post pictures over the weekend.

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.

Hal
Stonington CT

Attachments

Stove 002.jpg
.JPG | 145.9KB | Stove 002.jpg
Stove 003.jpg
.JPG | 131.3KB | Stove 003.jpg
Stove 004.jpg
.JPG | 133.7KB | Stove 004.jpg
Last edited by hanick on Fri. Feb. 04, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Thu. Feb. 03, 2011 5:01 pm

Hello Hal, welcome to the forum..

The best method for us to attempt to identify your stove will be with if you would post several photos of the stove.. with dimensions and an inside view of the firebox with the missing grates..

It may be a renamed stove by a common manufacturer, or an orphan stove with little or no parts available.. but a few photos is the next step...

Greg L

hanick

Post by hanick » Mon. Feb. 07, 2011 12:45 pm

Picctures added to the origional post.

Attachments

Stove 005.jpg
.JPG | 155.5KB | Stove 005.jpg

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Feb. 07, 2011 2:55 pm

hanick

Post by hanick » Mon. Feb. 07, 2011 3:12 pm

There is no room except for a small log. I did try the Canadian Company but there were no help. Theyaid they had heard of a company by the same name "down south". No more info.
H

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Feb. 07, 2011 3:55 pm

It looks like it had a flat grate that rested on the angle channels, maybe 1/2 inch thick with fire brick laid on edge lengthwise on top of the grate sides. Clearing ash would be done with a long flat poker inserted over the grate, through a gap of about 3/16 inch, from the front with the door open.

It looks like the bottom area is sealed from the top, does the door seal these two areas from each other?

That loose rod that is recessed also must have had a function since it was a lot of effort to put it there.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Feb. 07, 2011 7:26 pm

This is a very 'different' looking stove interior.. not sure what to make of it..

Greg L

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Tue. Feb. 08, 2011 10:52 am

A quick Google search for Northern Comfort Stoves turned up the manufacturer of Wood, Gas and Pellet stoves.

http://northerncomfort.ca/

No mention of coal on their website. Not even sure if it is the same manufacturer of your NC stove. Although I did notice they list Harman Coal stoves on their site.

Also searched for Northern Comfort Coal Stoves and came up with a few places that sell Northern Comfort Stoves similar in design as yours and they all state they are wood only burners. It might be that you just have a wood stove there.

hanick

Post by hanick » Tue. Feb. 08, 2011 11:34 am

The Canadian company in the link is not related to this stove. I called them. They heard of a Nortern Comfort manufacturer in the "states" but do not manufacture. There is a company in NY with the name, struck out there as well. The stove is big but the opening is too small for more than 1 medium size log. It can't be a wood stove.

I would be interested the other links you found.
H

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Tue. Feb. 08, 2011 6:04 pm

The other links were more of random questions on other forums about Northern Comfort stoves and from what I had read there wasn't a whole lot of information on them. Then I came up with a link from Craigslist for a Mama Bear, Papa Bear, Baby Bear and Grandpa Bear wood stoves. Which all look similar to your Northern Comfort stove.

hanick

Post by hanick » Mon. Feb. 14, 2011 2:02 pm

Still no Northern Comfort owners?????????????????

hman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D.S.Machine 1400 (sold) looking for another stove
Coal Size/Type: Lump/Bituminous

Post by hman » Mon. Feb. 14, 2011 5:06 pm

You might go over to hearth forum,those guys all burn wood over their and see if they can help you.It's worth a shot.

kyrro

Post by kyrro » Mon. Oct. 01, 2012 4:29 pm

I have a northern comfort woodstove and like the other guy cannot find out anything about it!!! I need a new screen for it. If anyone else knows where I can get this I would appreciate it. I have asked every stove shop within 100 miles of me with no information. Even with the internet I'm losing faith.
Last edited by kyrro on Mon. Oct. 01, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kyrro

Post by kyrro » Mon. Oct. 01, 2012 4:31 pm

It looks exactly like the other stove except it has 2 doors and burns wood.

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Mon. Oct. 01, 2012 4:56 pm

No luck on search here. I'm surprised there's info on my stove, I think I have all the info there really is. My stove is vaguely similar. It still has its info tag on the back. I was wondering why they went out of business too; regulations maybe.

Have a look at this site: http://stovehospital.com/ , maybe he has ever seen one, or could give you guys a lead.

Plenty of grates available out there, something might fit. good luck!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”