Northern Comfort Stove- Desperately Seeking Information!

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Mon. Oct. 01, 2012 7:14 pm

hanick wrote:The Canadian company in the link is not related to this stove. I called them. They heard of a Nortern Comfort manufacturer in the "states" but do not manufacture. There is a company in NY with the name, struck out there as well. The stove is big but the opening is too small for more than 1 medium size log. It can't be a wood stove.

I would be interested the other links you found.
H
Hal,

It's really hard to say since there were allot of ones off's around in the 70s and 80's. I agree with you that it looks like a coal stove, but what I don't see, is where there would be any shaker to shake the ash down. There should be a hole or slot somewhere because you sure wouldn't shake it down with the door open. That and it has sloped sides which do not work at all well on coal stoves. That one piece front door would also have to seal off the top coal bed, from the bottom ash pit completely, or air would have a way to bypass the coal bed and it would not burn anthracite as Richard stated. I just don't think it's a coal stove and while not impossible, maybe bit coal would work in it. Still you have to have grates that move to shake ash down. I think it would be easier for you to make (or find a grate that fits on the shelf) and burn small wood in it or maybe those biobricks they sell by the case.
Maybe something like this would work.

Attachments

shaker_grates.jpg
.JPG | 11.5KB | shaker_grates.jpg

cathleen22

Post by cathleen22 » Wed. Oct. 28, 2015 11:51 pm

I just came across this and realize it is a couple years old, but wanted to let you know my Dad owned this business in the 80's. They were manufactured in Amherst New Hampshire. My dad is elderly now and not in the best of health but we are searching for one of 'his' stoves for him.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Oct. 29, 2015 8:32 am

Nice C--keep the history alive. :)

Hbarry

Post by Hbarry » Sun. Nov. 29, 2015 1:31 pm

Hi cathleen22, I have a northern comfort wood stove as well. It was in the house 16 years ago when we bought it and I have never been able to find any information on it. I live close to amherst nh.

Jdouthart

Post by Jdouthart » Fri. Oct. 19, 2018 6:21 am

Just bought a house with this thing in it. Laconia NH

Attachments

1018182046.jpg
.JPG | 446KB | 1018182046.jpg

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”