Small Stove in a Camper or RV

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 4:47 am

Good idea Jeff! The Jr might work out nicely since it's built for a smaller area to heat. Plus you still get the option of throwing some wood into it if all you want is a quick warm up.

2DeXtreMe
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska channing 3
Hand Fed Coal Stove: surdiac 715

Post by 2DeXtreMe » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 10:55 am

AA130FIREMAN wrote:I believe you would have air issues with draft, with door weatherstripping, this already small box is too air tight where you need air for a fire. Is this camper a perminent setup or do you travel much ?
I always camp during late spring through mid fall. So these are times when heat is not needed as much, however I would like to go camping at Fort Wilderness campground in Disney World during the X-Mas break with the kids. Making long rest stops at travel centers vs. Driving for 19hrs str8 to Orlando is so much better. So to answer your question on if the setup would be permanent or temporary...... It can go either way.

2DeXtreMe

Post by 2DeXtreMe » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 11:05 am

There are mix feelings on this subject. If the pendulum stayed more on one side I'd feel a little more confident that this can be done. This is the first time hearing about a chubby jr. The stove I am interested in is a "Penn Stove". It weights about 225lbs (give or take a few lbs). So i'm not sure if the Penn is similar to the Sr. or Jr.

What I'd to find out, if there is living proof that some of you or(a small hand full) :) has done this with success. Again, It's an idea. Nothing serious, at least for now. :P

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 11:11 am

try the little cod.....

http://www.marinestove.com/sproductinfo.htm

or here...i like the dickinson company...
http://cruisenews.net/db/pagetemplate.php?cat_id=8

**Broken Link(s) Removed**

2DeXtreMe

Post by 2DeXtreMe » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 11:23 am

Poconoeagle wrote:try the little cod.....

http://www.marinestove.com/sproductinfo.htm

or here...i like the dickinson company...
http://cruisenews.net/db/pagetemplate.php?cat_id=8

**Broken Link(s) Removed**
Thanks Poconoeagle! I am still wanting to hear from a small coal stove user who has done it.
Those stove are pretty much made for wood. But it really great to have all of this info available for another possible setup with the marine stoves you guys are telling me about.

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 11:31 am

your welcome. I have a small one on my boat and yes it burns wood but I have used charcoal in it also. I never followed thru on finding a coal one yet as florida never got cold enough long enough to look...

but al gore might have a opinion on that!!

the last link there looked cool..... 8-)

2DeXtreMe

Post by 2DeXtreMe » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 11:53 am

Poconoeagle wrote:your welcome. I have a small one on my boat and yes it burns wood but I have used charcoal in it also. I never followed thru on finding a coal one yet as florida never got cold enough long enough to look...

but al gore might have a opinion on that!!

the last link there looked cool..... 8-)
The slim stainless steel stove from the UK looks sleek. Is this the stove you have? If not, Is the stove which you said you've used charcoal in heat your boat toasty warm? Is there a lingering charcoal smell? I'm just curious.

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 3:53 pm

Mine keeps it toasty yes. 40 ft x 8 7 ft hi. A fan moves itwell
No smell.

Stephen in Soky

Post by Stephen in Soky » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 4:34 pm

I wonder how the RV parks will view solid fuel smoke if you use RV parks? Some (Many) have bans on fire pits while others allow them.

2DeXtreMe

Post by 2DeXtreMe » Wed. Feb. 02, 2011 10:23 am

Stephen in Soky wrote:I wonder how the RV parks will view solid fuel smoke if you use RV parks? Some (Many) have bans on fire pits while others allow them.
Hi Stephen,

That is the reason I am inquiring on finding a very small stove that will burn anthracite. The smoke most likely won't be visible through the naked eyes. As far as the parks go, my intent is to get a stove running at rest stops/travel centers along the Interstate during the cold winter month of December and thereafter. Wood, charcoal, and Bit coal will produce the smoke.

Now finding a very small hand fired stove that burns BIT in a RV is another topic. :lol:

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Feb. 02, 2011 7:33 pm

Notes on what come to mind on this:

The stove must be firmly fastened down.. must have bolted on legs, and legs bolted to the floor.. A camper, motor home or pickup camper shake, twist and in general will cause anything not bolted down move around.. you don't want a 200+ pound piece of steel /iron 'walking around' or falling over and rolling around.

The same concernes about the flue pipe, and the timble through the roof or wall of the camper..

My parents had a wood burning stove in a mobile home.. the mobile home was made from thin particle board, thin plywood and wood stringers over the steel framework.. The wood paneling was tinder dry,, and one day it caught fire, the mobile home took only 20 minutes to burn to the bare steel..
So my feelings about a solid fuel burning device in a camper or trailer SCREAM NOT SAFE to me.. My parents just barely got out of the place before the doorways were blocked by fire.. and nobody could have got out the windows.. too high and too small.

Next is burning anthracite.. are you planning on stopping for an overnight stay on this pilgramage to Mickey world ?? You can burn a lot of propane for the cost of just the insulated flue pipe, much less the non-combustable floor, and walls around the stove and flue pipe.. Propane can be turned on almost instantly,, and off, safely instantly..

My thoughts are to use propane to safely heat a movable camper..

Greg L.

cokehead

Post by cokehead » Wed. Feb. 02, 2011 9:00 pm

madeinchina

Post by madeinchina » Wed. Feb. 02, 2011 9:46 pm

Why do you use coal.
Wood pellet is clean and easy to light.
Wood pellet stove also do not need any electricity.
You can call it hand fired wood pellet stove.

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Thu. Feb. 03, 2011 6:03 am

Excuse if I am too emphatic, but It would be a shame for you to get hurt or dead.

This is a horenously BAD IDEA :down: :!: 1. suffocation from lack of oxygen, CO poisoning, burns, camper fire are all very real threats. Also, in the event of a vehicle accident forces you can't immagine unless you have been in a bad an accident will tear something as heavy as even a small coal stove loose. The forces could easily pull up a section of floor, pull bolts thru the floor, shear bolts off, break cast iron legs off, tear the stove pipe off.

Can you visualize gasoline spilled all over and red hot coals spilled all over while you are unconscious in your camper :?: :blowup:

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Thu. Feb. 03, 2011 7:58 am

humans have been using solid fuel devices in mobil vechicles for a few 24 hours tho.....

we all got here somehow! they didnt freeze.... at least not the ones with common sense.

I bet the sailing ships that explored the poles a few hundred years ago burned something.. and well enough to come back and tell about it

on average the campsites that don't allow open fires are the minority indeed ;)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”