Buckwalter Stove Company. Canopy Dawn

yellowtonka2

Post by yellowtonka2 » Thu. Jan. 20, 2011 12:26 pm

hello I hope I am posting this in the right area as I usually post in the stoker furnace area. I have recently aquired a buckwalter stove company cook stove. it is the canopy dawn model. I am trying to find some info on this but am not having very much luck with it. the only thing I have really found is it was built in royersford PA and it was built in 1902. I am trying to figure out if it is worth redoing. all the chrome on it is in nice shape and the grates look really good too. does anyone know how much this may be worth. I know it is hard to give a blind guesstimate but I am only looking for a ballpark range. it is in better than average condition and weighs about 1000 lbs. I got it for $65 so its worth its weight in scrap at least but I would kinda like to restore it. any help is greatly appreciated

RAYJAY
Stoker Coal Boiler: VAN WERT - 600 VA HOT WATER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN- MAGUM STOKER
Coal Size/Type: BUCKWHEAT ON BOTH
Other Heating: NG BOILER

Post by RAYJAY » Thu. Jan. 20, 2011 12:53 pm

pictures would help,

jeff

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Thu. Jan. 20, 2011 6:08 pm

You won't want to scrap an antique coal cook stove with good nickel plating if it is in good condition overall. I peeked at them on ebay recently. Figure $1,000. at least. Refurbished and looking real good maybe $3,000.

Sorry, I don't know a thing about your particular stove. Dito Ray Jay- Pics would be great.

RAYJAY
Stoker Coal Boiler: VAN WERT - 600 VA HOT WATER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN- MAGUM STOKER
Coal Size/Type: BUCKWHEAT ON BOTH
Other Heating: NG BOILER

Post by RAYJAY » Thu. Jan. 20, 2011 9:03 pm

yellowtonka2

Post by yellowtonka2 » Sat. Jan. 29, 2011 8:13 am

sorry about the long wait for a reply to this but I found a person to give me a appraisal on the stove since. he seems to think that the stove in the current condition is worth about $1000. I started to dissamble it to have a few of the parts rechromed that I couldnt get the pits out of. but I did go through and clean it all and used stove black on it and the black looks like new again. and after some checking everything looks in great condition. I cant wait to get it back together and put it to use but till I get the parts back it probably wont get fired till next year.

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Sat. Jan. 29, 2011 11:17 am

I have a Buckwalter and son box stove... I restored it with a wire brush and stove polish.
the company made many model stoves and my research was about the same as yours. my box stove was appraised around 1800 bucks
I would imagine yours would bring a pretty penny when done but if your like me I wont sell it because of its history.

I am friends with the older fellow whose parents heated thier home with it when he was a kid. He's 75 now 8-)

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sat. Jan. 29, 2011 12:46 pm

Please don't 'chrome' those parts.. they are to be nickle.. any good plating company can tell the difference.. chrome is actually black.. very shiny, reflective black.. nickle is a warm yellow color.. Chrome didn't come into common use untill the late 1920's.

I own and judge antique cars from the Nickle age and later,, and you can see chrome from a hundred feet away when surrounded by polished Nickle.. You won't be happy if you mix chrome and Nickle.

Don't let the plater try to charge you extra.. all steel items get a coating of copper, which is polished smooth, then Nickle, which is polished, the a 'flash' layer of chrome.. all the plater has to do is NOT do the last step..

Greg L.

yellowtonka2

Post by yellowtonka2 » Tue. Feb. 01, 2011 11:10 pm

sorry I didnt really mean "chrome plated" they are being nickle plated. I have done the cast iron with the stove black and cleaned up most of the nickle plated parts and it looks great but there are a few pieces that are pitted that just need to be redone. I was also at a sale this weekend and purchased yet another stove. it is a copper clad cook stove. enamel coated with a beige color. it is in pretty nice shape as well but it is gonna need grates made for it as 1 is broken, but it still has the original stand and and trim pieces for it and all the internal plates it looks to be complete. I was thrilled to buy it for $70 but now my wife isnt to happy with me now having two of these taking up space in my garage. but I plan on trying to redo this one as well and maybe keeping the nicer of the two and selling the other. the wife is afraid I will end up with a bunch of these and tie up all my time in the garage lol...

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Wed. Feb. 02, 2011 3:22 am

Sound like you could develop a whole new buiness of restoring and retailing stoves. If you enjoy this kind of work, it realy could become a profitable side line. Might be able to do some stoves for other people too. A lot of folks don't like to get their hands dirty.

If you do everything your wife wants, your life will never be your own.
Now my life is my own, but I no longer have a wife.

My advise: Choose your wife. ;)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”