Is There a More Modern Hand Fired, Other Than Alaska Kodiak

ron54

Post by ron54 » Mon. Sep. 10, 2007 10:35 am

I have an Alaska Kodiak on order, but I really don't like its looks for my nicely finished basement which is modern. Is there another handfired brand/model thats more contemporary in style?

Duengeon master
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

Post by Duengeon master » Mon. Sep. 10, 2007 11:07 am

There is Harmon, Hitzer, and Vermont Castings as well as a few others. They all make a Quality product. They all have websites to view their wares. If you want something fancy theres also ebay. where there are all diffrent types of used and antique stoves as well as a few new ones for sale :)

ron54

Post by ron54 » Mon. Sep. 10, 2007 11:42 am

Duengeon master wrote:There is Harmon, Hitzer, and Vermont Castings as well as a few others. They all make a Quality product. They all have websites to view their wares. If you want something fancy theres also ebay. where there are all diffrent types of used and antique stoves as well as a few new ones for sale :)
I like the Kodiak for quality. But I want something modern, not antique. Too bad Alaska doesn't show the Kodiak in each color, and brass door.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Mon. Sep. 10, 2007 2:21 pm

rod54 you can order it with Brass door trim side panels w/brass Hopper you can also look at the Hitzer 30-95 also a gravity-fed http://www.hitzer.com Harman does not make a Gravity-fed stove http://www.harmanstoves.com :(

jpen1
Stoker Coal Boiler: LL110
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Buck

Post by jpen1 » Mon. Sep. 10, 2007 8:31 pm

I believe you can get Keystoker's cast iron GT handfired in a top load now. They are pretty modern looking stove. Also the afore mentioned hitzer stoves are nice looking with the brass door. The Kodiak looks alot better with the brass door on them. I believe it is the same door that is on the liberty on the web site.

ron54

Post by ron54 » Mon. Sep. 10, 2007 8:44 pm

jpen1 wrote:I believe you can get Keystoker's cast iron GT handfired in a top load now. They are pretty modern looking stove. Also the afore mentioned hitzer stoves are nice looking with the brass door. The Kodiak looks alot better with the brass door on them. I believe it is the same door that is on the liberty on the web site.
leisureline has some nice models, but I never heard of them, and they're steel rather than cast iron.

Personally, I like the Kodiak, but my friend who's an interior designer said its not for a modern style family room that its going into.

ron54

Post by ron54 » Mon. Sep. 10, 2007 8:45 pm

coal berner wrote:rod54 you can order it with Brass door trim side panels w/brass Hopper you can also look at the Hitzer 30-95 also a gravity-fed http://www.hitzer.com Harman does not make a Gravity-fed stove http://www.harmanstoves.com :(
Is theree a picture somewhere showing the brass door? Also, how much does that door cost?

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post by coal berner » Mon. Sep. 10, 2007 10:24 pm

ron54 look on the page that the kodiak is on at the bottom under Options Available they do not show pricing you have to contact them or your dealer for price As for picture look at the liberty stove they show the brass door same door as the kodiak also on the kodiak page you will see to the top left of the page kodiak opened click on it It will show the top of the stove open were you feed the coal in the hooper will also be brass trim as well as the side panels when you order the brass package hope this helps you take care :)

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Mon. Sep. 10, 2007 10:34 pm

ron54 wrote:
jpen1 wrote:I believe you can get Keystoker's cast iron GT handfired in a top load now. They are pretty modern looking stove. Also the afore mentioned hitzer stoves are nice looking with the brass door. The Kodiak looks alot better with the brass door on them. I believe it is the same door that is on the liberty on the web site.
leisureline has some nice models, but I never heard of them, and they're steel rather than cast iron.

Personally, I like the Kodiak, but my friend who's an interior designer said its not for a modern style family room that its going into.
leisure line are stoker stoves they need power to work

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Mon. Sep. 10, 2007 10:43 pm

ron54 keystoker are top load handfeed stove as well as the Harman TLC 2000 not gravity feed no hopper in them the Hitzer 30-95 and the kodiak are both gravity feed hoppers :)

ron54

Post by ron54 » Tue. Sep. 11, 2007 2:36 pm

coal berner wrote:ron54 keystoker are top load handfeed stove as well as the Harman TLC 2000 not gravity feed no hopper in them the Hitzer 30-95 and the kodiak are both gravity feed hoppers :)
Where can I see the kodiak w/ brass. I need to see how it would look other than all black before I finalize.

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Tue. Sep. 11, 2007 2:55 pm

Before you finalize, check Keystokers web site and look under "Radiant Coal Stoves" I see a blue one that is more modern looking.

They have a close up picture of their Oil stove and it looks the same to me.

BK

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Sep. 11, 2007 4:39 pm

I'm going to be a smart A$$: No matter how ugly the stove appears now, you will LOVE your stove no matter what it looks like once it is making heat and your regular heat bills drop by 60-90%.

On a serious note, with all the color choices from Alaska I think you could find a combination that will meet with your decorators approval. Or just add another 'rustic' or 'antique' looking item to the room and it will 'draw' it all 'together'.

Take a look at the 'pictures of your stove' thread, there are several in contemporary settings that look quite nice. Has a lot to do with the fireproof base and back wall surround you add to the room. a nice high gloss marble would look contemporary.

A stove made from plate steel looks more contemporary than one with cast iron panels. Steel makes just as good a stove as cast, in my opinion better except for the grates.

Just some thoughts.. Greg L

jpen1
Stoker Coal Boiler: LL110
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Buck

Post by jpen1 » Tue. Sep. 11, 2007 7:56 pm

Ron 54 where are you located? Alaska has there plant showroom in Bloomsburg PA where I live . I haven't been to the showroom for abou t to months but they had a green one with the brass door on the floor. I think the brass trimmed side heat shields were $85 for a channing III when I ordered last year. As for the brass door my brass sunburst in my door was $80 and I'm sure the brass on the kodiak will be more. I think their hours are 9-5 M-F and 9-12 on Saturday.

ron54

Post by ron54 » Wed. Sep. 12, 2007 8:47 am

jpen1 wrote:Ron 54 where are you located? Alaska has there plant showroom in Bloomsburg PA where I live . I haven't been to the showroom for abou t to months but they had a green one with the brass door on the floor. I think the brass trimmed side heat shields were $85 for a channing III when I ordered last year. As for the brass door my brass sunburst in my door was $80 and I'm sure the brass on the kodiak will be more. I think their hours are 9-5 M-F and 9-12 on Saturday.
Where is Bloomsburg? I'm in Milford off I84, 50 miles east of Scranton. If its not to much further than Scranton I would go & look.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”