Hitzer 50-93 Took Off

fastcat
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Nut/Stove Mix

Post by fastcat » Fri. Jan. 14, 2011 9:22 am

freetown fred wrote:fastcat 's 50-93 is in the basement & I'm sure he'll get here to talk about his daily useage :)
rji68 wrote:40 pounds a day, it must be nice to have your stove on the main living floor. I am going through about 80 pounds a day with my stove in the basement, the average temp in the basement is 75 to 80. I do want to say how much I like the stove and how easy it is to use, I have been laid up since Christmas day when I had to have my Appendix taken the old fashion way since they couldn't find the thing just my luck. Since then my wife has taken over almost all the duties of the day to day operation of the stove since I have been on a 10 pound weight limit, I do sneak a shake down in every now and then, but she has taken to the stove very well which is nice.
Mine is just about the same as rji68 75 - 80# and the house is the same temps. :dancing: I wasn't going to reply to that because we are robbing this thread.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Jan. 14, 2011 2:36 pm

lowfog01 wrote:My Mark II did the same thing last evening. I threw some pea coal on when I got home from work. I did not open the ash door as the fire was burning nicely already with a stove front temp of 350*. I went into the other room, mind you the ash door was closed and when I came back in 10 mins the stove was raging at 600*. I quickly threw on some more coal and shut the air intake valve down to almost nothing. The stove had been acting normal before and after that. It maintained the exact temperature I set it for last night. It did the same thing one time last year, too. I haven't got a clue. The stove cooled off but I'm wondering what caused that! There doesn't seem to be any differences in my log that would explain it. If you have any thoughts as to the reason this may happen, please jump in. Lisa
To flare up like that the coal bed had to have the air to do it. Perhape a period of abnormal draft that the baro failed to modify or maybe the addition of the pea coal caused a portion of the burning coal to collapse opening a freer path for the air through the coal bed. Once heated the pea coal gave off a large amount of volatiles which can burn very fast, leading to the overheat.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Jan. 14, 2011 4:46 pm

My MPD never fails ;) I don't think these were damper problems--under air problems to be sure--it's real hard diagnosing these particular flare-ups without actually being there."shut down the air-intake"

rji68
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer

Post by rji68 » Fri. Jan. 14, 2011 6:13 pm

I don't use a baro, just a mpd. Maybe it was a just a really good load of coal!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”