Hopper or No Hopper?

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Sun. Jan. 09, 2011 11:27 am

If you remove the hopper I'm sure you can still load through the top it'll just be messy. At that point its easier to load through the door.

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Tue. Jan. 11, 2011 9:09 am

I wouln't want to be without my hopper. I have been away from home up to 30 hours and still had a fire when I got home. Easy loading. Continuous feeding for a steady fire.

mkline
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak x 2...Old and New
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove/Anthracite

Post by mkline » Tue. Jan. 11, 2011 10:41 am

I have a new Alaska Kodiak but didn't buy the hopper for it.I don't know if I'm really missing out by not using the hopper.I can load mine from the top and go 24+ hrs without reloading if I want to.I'm not against a hopper,but with my stove it just seemed like it's an unneeded expense added to the cost of the stove.Anyone with the Kodiak enlighten me on how much better it runs with it installed.

Mike

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Tue. Jan. 11, 2011 10:52 am

mkline wrote:I have a new Alaska Kodiak but didn't buy the hopper for it.I don't know if I'm really missing out by not using the hopper.I can load mine from the top and go 24+ hrs without reloading if I want to.I'm not against a hopper,but with my stove it just seemed like it's an unneeded expense added to the cost of the stove.Anyone with the Kodiak enlighten me on how much better it runs with it installed.

Mike
definitly better with the hopper. keep the debris out of the four vertical vent ports as they provide the air wash for the glass, the hopper holds about 40#'s of coal and has gone 40 hrs on low. 8-)

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jan. 11, 2011 10:59 am

mkline--like PE stated--I also think you would see & feel the advantages of the hopper & would offset the cost issue--by the way check your pricing--direct from factory if possible plus shipping compared to from dealer--I know Hitzer will sell direct. Later my friend :)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”