Smoke Puffing ??

Tnguy

Post by Tnguy » Wed. Jan. 05, 2011 8:16 pm

PC 12-47E wrote:Blaschak coal dealer. Athracite Coal :D :idea:

Amish Tradition
4981 Nashville Road
Franklin, KY. 42134
270-598-7299

Blaschak does not have a dealer in TN. ;)
Got hold of them drove the 2 hrs one way bought 3 40# bags for a trial run , I can see right now its burning with a blue flame and not much smoke. thanks for the tip :) I did find "block" bit here in Tn a little closer to home. BUT I don't know what "block" bit is the old lady on the phone said something about (ridge line)??? but she "says" its real good coal :) we shall see

thanks
Last edited by Tnguy on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: <removed dead link>

Ashcat
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Blaschak

Post by Ashcat » Wed. Jan. 05, 2011 9:03 pm

tnguy--
This is a long shot, but ...

A high grade of coal, called "Blue Gem" coal, is mined only in KY, in Whitley and Knox counties. This is used mainly in manufacture--of "silicon metals"--not for burning. It is low-sulfur, 12% ash, about 12000 BTU/lb. There are mines, run by a company called North American Gem, about 2 hours drive northeast of you (figuring from Crossville, TN, which I believe is in Cumberland Co. Tennessee). The cost is said to be about 2 times that of "high grade steam coal" (bituminous), which puts it in anthracite territory in terms of cost. My bet is that it would burn more like anthracite than bituminous, and may be an option for you if you can get your hands on any. Here are some links on Blue Gem coal, North American Gem, etc.

http://www.northamericangem.com/

Stephen in Soky

Post by Stephen in Soky » Wed. Jan. 05, 2011 10:45 pm

If you're anywhere near Thorn Hill TN try Kincaid Coal, 767-2900.

Tnguy

Post by Tnguy » Wed. Jan. 05, 2011 10:54 pm

Ashcat wrote:tnguy--
This is a long shot, but ...

A high grade of coal, called "Blue Gem" coal, is mined only in KY, in Whitley and Knox counties. This is used mainly in manufacture--of "silicon metals"--not for burning. It is low-sulfur, 12% ash, about 12000 BTU/lb. There are mines, run by a company called North American Gem, about 2 hours drive northeast of you (figuring from Crossville, TN, which I believe is in Cumberland Co. Tennessee). The cost is said to be about 2 times that of "high grade steam coal" (bituminous), which puts it in anthracite territory in terms of cost. My bet is that it would burn more like anthracite than bituminous, and may be an option for you if you can get your hands on any. Here are some links on Blue Gem coal, North American Gem, etc.

http://www.bluegemcoal.org/
http://www.northamericangem.com/
thanks

Ashcat
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Blaschak

Post by Ashcat » Wed. Jan. 05, 2011 11:11 pm

FWIW, another thing I read about mining in that region: there are said to be many small producers, wildcatters, etc. rather than only a few large outfits, which suggests to me that you may well be able to score some of that coal. North American Gem (a large company by comparison) only recently got into coal mining in that area. Incidentally, the "Blue" in Blue Gem coal comes from the blue flame produced :idea: sounds alot like anthracite.

Yet another interesting tidbit I came across was on a blacksmith message board where one seemingly knowledgeable smithy (incidentally he's from Johnson City TN) said that he's burned coked bituminous, raw anthracite ("Needs constant air to generate good heat, and hard to light, but very clean"-true), and that his favorite is "Blue Gem Metallurgical from a mine near Somerset Kentucky". (here's is the link to the thread/post on that board <dead link Removed> His name is Alan Longmire, and this post was made on 10/23/10 at 11:09 AM)

Happy hunting!
Last edited by Ashcat on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: <removed dead link>

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Thu. Jan. 06, 2011 2:40 pm

"but its enough to smell the house up and the wife to go EEEWWWWWW so I have to fix it quick before she makes me go back to wood only :( "

Simply tell the wife that SHE can go back to heating with wood anytime SHE wishes to carry in all the wood and keep the fire stoked 24/7 :lol:

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Fri. Jan. 07, 2011 2:16 pm

This may or may not help you find KY bit coal.
Also the last link is a size chart of soft/bit coal .

http://search.freefind.com/find.html?id=53999444& ... ry=ky+coal
**Broken Link(s) Removed**http://www.sizes.com/materls/coal_bituminous.htm

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”