Rust Under Hopper Lid

Serge
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak nuts

Post by Serge » Tue. Jan. 04, 2011 7:14 pm

Third season with my 30-95, very satisfied for facilities and comfort from hitzer anthracite stove. I am following the forum very closely since then and had been very helpful to me.
Two questions:
1. Does the new Hitzer model comes with those holes in the rear upper part of the hopper?
2. Does somebody try drilling holes in their hopper and what size? Will this modification stop rust under the cover and help reducing moisture?
I gave a try once removing the hopper, within 2 days of normal heating; the interior cover turn to a nice beige color and all the rust desappeared.
Help in this matter would be greatly appreciated

Serge, Thetford Mines, Quebec, Canada.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jan. 04, 2011 8:12 pm

serge,did you replace the hopper door gasket--I think that will solve your problem--my hopper does not have holes in it & I think I would avoid doing that by trying other solutions--the gasket would be a good starting point--keep us posted

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Wed. Jan. 05, 2011 8:41 am

Hopper lid rust??? It's common. I scrape it off, and sweep it into the hopper. That is why HITZER put the holes in the back of the hoppers.....for moisture to escape. My hoppers don't have the holes. And I'm not going to put any either.

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Thu. Jan. 06, 2011 2:33 pm

My 30-95 has 3 oval holes at the back of the hopper. Each hole is about 1/2" high and 1" long. The top of the holes are about 3/4" below the top of the hoper. I have no, or very little rust anyplace under the hopper cover. I would not hesitate to drill the holes if I did not have them. I wouldn't worry about making them oval. Just drill 3 equally spaced 1/2' to 5/8" holes. :)

Serge
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak nuts

Post by Serge » Thu. Jan. 06, 2011 7:10 pm

grizzly2 wrote:My 30-95 has 3 oval holes at the back of the hopper. Each hole is about 1/2" high and 1" long. The top of the holes are about 3/4" below the top of the hoper. I have no, or very little rust anyplace under the hopper cover. I would not hesitate to drill the holes if I did not have them. I wouldn't worry about making them oval. Just drill 3 equally spaced 1/2' to 5/8" holes. :)
I really appreciate your comments, thanks for all the details, I'll try it for sure and be back soon with the resuts.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”