Got My New Stove!!!

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Tue. Jan. 10, 2012 7:14 am

IOF, This is the first time I have read this thread (or at least most of it). It has been very interesting and informative. Glad to see that your new stove has been a success. Thanks for the follow up. :nice:

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Tue. Jan. 10, 2012 8:42 am

Nice resurection IOF! ;) Thread of the walking dead.
In the begining, I wondered if it was going to be too much, to big a stove for the house. After all, its 2-3 times what the chubby could put out, but I've also learned from the site that a bit to big, is a lot better then a bit to small. You don't save anything running flat out all the time and in fact would probably do better cruising a larger stove. I think when I upgrade next, I'll be going larger than I was going to go also. I'm thinking a nice Glenwood #6 or it's ilk would be just perfect in here! :D

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Tue. Jan. 10, 2012 5:39 pm

When I hand ordered it from DS Amos was wworried it was going to be too large. But considering my house has an open floor plan with few walls and the living room has an 11' ceiling coupled with poor insulation it's the perfect stove.

I've only ever bought a few things that were worth the money. My generator and my D'S coal stove. Both of these items I feel have already paid for themselves. The generator because I lose power so often it's incredible and the DS because it's eliminated my dependence on home heating oil.

I came home this evening and saw that the house was 72*. I idled the stove down today because it was in the 40's and wanted some more heat. So, I turned the dial up a little and within a few minutes my house is 75*.

Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap » Fri. Jan. 13, 2012 3:18 pm

I couldn't imagine having my stove upstairs. As it is, with my warm morning in the basement, it heats my house WELL(2500 ft/sq upstairs and down combined).
I got my stove pinched down about as far as I can and the house is still 78-80 all the time....

Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap » Fri. Jan. 13, 2012 3:19 pm

I couldn't imagine having my stove upstairs. As it is, with my warm morning in the basement, it heats my house WELL(2500 ft/sq upstairs and down combined).
I got my stove pinched down about as far as I can and the house is still 78-80 all the time.... :shock:

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Fri. Jan. 13, 2012 5:07 pm

I had considered putting it in the basement, but there was no room. Between my 50 year old oil fired furnace and the 275 gallon oil tank as well as my 40 gallon electric hot water heater there is no room. Besides, if it wasn't in my living room I couldn't watch the blue ladies dance and it would be rusted out in a year. It's damp in my basement; not Smitty damp but it's damp. I love it being in my living room. It gives my fire place hearth purpose.

Trry

Post by Trry » Sat. Dec. 22, 2012 11:27 am

If you have a reversible fan, just put the switch in the opposite direction. The air blowing up will not only strip the heat from the ceiling, it will distribute the heat more evenly, since it will be pushed out further because it has to travel along the ceiling. Works for me.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”