Got My New Stove!!!

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Mon. Jan. 17, 2011 5:51 pm

Surprisingly, the DS has been handling the cold temps rather nicely. We have been staying warm. The stove has been keeping my living room between 72 - 78 depending on how cold it is outside. The outer rooms generally stay a bit cooler. The kitchen / dining room usually float between 60* - 68*, my son's bedroom 64* - 72* and the master bed 58* - 66* (this room is by far the coldest).

Yesterday the living room hit 78*, kitchen / dining room was 68*, my son's room was 72* and the master bed was 67*.

Today, living room is currently 75*, dining room is 64*, master bedroom is 62*, my son's room is 64* and the kitchen / dining room is 66*.

The DS is being run at 500* and consumes about 60# of coal (my hod holds 30#). I actually just turned the stove up a little bit. It's still between 4 and 4.5 but closer to the 4.5 mark. I've been emptying the ash pan every two days.

My furnace has not been on since installing it. Which is very impressive. Although the needle on the furnace's thermostat has gotten close to the kick-on point especially in the morning. But it never turns on.

Since I just turned the dial up I do expect to consume more coal, I'm just not sure how much yet.

I'm On Fire

Post by I'm On Fire » Sun. Jan. 23, 2011 8:15 am

Just a quick update on the stove's performance.
20110123080001.jpg
.JPG | 88KB | 20110123080001.jpg
Fired the DS up on January 8th at 1530. It is now January 23rd at 0815. The stove has been running non-stop for two weeks now.

It has been able to keep my house between 70* - 77* during the day and between 70* - 67* at night.

This picture was taken this morning, just before I shook it down for the day. It is running at 580* due to the below 0 nights we've been having and still making 12+ hour burn times at those temps.

buck24
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Post by buck24 » Sun. Jan. 23, 2011 11:20 am

I O F ..... Stove looks good. Glad to see you are getting use to it. Good thing you got it installed before this cold snap. Seems that the D S Machine Stove is a better fit for your heating needs than the Chubby was. Enjoy the stove and stay warm.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Jan. 23, 2011 11:37 am

Glad it's working out for you.
Lets take a moment to feel bad for those people who heat with oil and propain as they wear their coats inside and shiver. :o

I'm On Fire

Post by I'm On Fire » Sun. Jan. 23, 2011 1:59 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:Glad it's working out for you.
Lets take a moment to feel bad for those people who heat with oil and propain as they wear their coats inside and shiver. :o
LOL, check out my new thread. I've already started planning for my next coal fired appliance install. It'll be the end of oil in this house.

dbjc364

Post by dbjc364 » Sat. Mar. 26, 2011 8:15 pm

please tell me your going to surround this big stove with a fenced in gate for the little one-all the way around! The stove we just bought from a fella-told me the story of his little one bumping into his stove with her walker- and her face meeting the stove and got a bad burn-the wife made him retire it & pull it out of their living room-it went down cellar for 20 years- till we just bought it. Just looking at that little cutie & the stove makes me very nervous- as it only takes one second for an accident!

I'm On Fire

Post by I'm On Fire » Sat. Mar. 26, 2011 8:22 pm

My wife and I have been talking about a decorative fence to be installed around the stove. But, as with everything; money comes into play and we are short on it. We do have a screen that goes around the front of it and she knows not to get too close to the stove. She'll come over and sit on my lap and watch the blue ladies dancing around when I'm shaking and reloading but she doesn't get too close to it. My wife is home during the day with the baby and she is like a hawk.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Mar. 26, 2011 8:28 pm

This is going to sound real old school & mean, but things like that don't go in my accident folder :mad: Yes, we've raised 6 kids & have grandkids visit quite often. We've always had wood or coal stoves in the main part of the house. They all know what NO means & the toddlers are NEVER out of our sight--not for a second----Oh, I'm sorry, people are to busy to keep an eye on thier kids. :( PS good for you & the wife IOF ;)

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Mar. 26, 2011 8:48 pm

I'm On Fire wrote:My wife and I have been talking about a decorative fence to be installed around the stove. But, as with everything; money comes into play and we are short on it. We do have a screen that goes around the front of it and she knows not to get too close to the stove. She'll come over and sit on my lap and watch the blue ladies dancing around when I'm shaking and reloading but she doesn't get too close to it. My wife is home during the day with the baby and she is like a hawk.
Just make more overtime on the Shut Down Job, throw away the green pants and the money will arrive suddently my friend.

I remember someone here IOF,( not to tell who) one day told me to go ahead for the stove of my dreams and the money will arrive. And it did worked, the stove is in the house (no more money but the stove is here lol). You know, when you put your hand on a hot thing, you learn what is a hot thing for the rest of your life... But I understand that the baby is quite young for that lesson. I'm sure you will find out some unexpensive way to secure the stove area.

I'm On Fire

Post by I'm On Fire » Sun. Mar. 27, 2011 8:14 am

The ladies love the green pants.

We do have a screen that is in front of the stove and it goes partly around it as well. We are supposed to be getting some money from my wife's parent's estate so when that arrives we'll get a new gate that goes all the way around it.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 27, 2011 9:08 am

Some day remind me to tell you how I get the horses & dogs to learn about what an electric fence does ;) damn, I hope that bitch dog comes back sometime. toothy

bja105
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: Bit

Post by bja105 » Sun. Mar. 27, 2011 10:21 am

freetown fred wrote:Some day remind me to tell you how I get the horses & dogs to learn about what an electric fence does ;) damn, I hope that bitch dog comes back sometime. toothy
Peanut butter and aluminum foil?

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 27, 2011 11:23 am

You got it ;) bj--fill out your profile( how's that George) toothy so we know who & where you are. Welcome to the FORUM my friend.

I'm On Fire

Post by I'm On Fire » Sun. Mar. 27, 2011 4:32 pm

freetown fred wrote:This is going to sound real old school & mean, but things like that don't go in my accident folder :mad: Yes, we've raised 6 kids & have grandkids visit quite often. We've always had wood or coal stoves in the main part of the house. They all know what NO means & the toddlers are NEVER out of our sight--not for a second----Oh, I'm sorry, people are to busy to keep an eye on thier kids. :( PS good for you & the wife IOF ;)
I totally agree. I don't understand parents these days. Just too busy to watch their children. What the hell kind of parenting is that? My wife is with our lil wiggly all day and I'm with her at night when my wife goes to work and we're both home on the weekend. I refuse to send my daughter to daycare.

Quinn knows the word "NO", she doesn't like it. But she knows it. She gets too close to the stove and I scream, "NO! HOT!" She stops, gives me the lip and starts to cry.

I'm On Fire

Post by I'm On Fire » Mon. Jan. 09, 2012 9:03 pm

Yes, I just created thread necromancy. But it's OK. It's my zombie.

I just realized it's been one year and a day since the 1600 was installed and fired up January 8th, 2011 at 1530.

There's been a few changes to the setup. I've removed the baro, and installed a draft inducer. I love this stove and I love being warm. I'm on my second season with coal and I have a monster stove and I can honestly say I wouldn't be self sufficient in my home heating if it weren't for everyone on here. Thank you all for the help, thanks for putting up with my stupid questions and my occasional rants. I appreciate all the help, I couldn't of been burning rocks without you all. Thanks again.

Attachments

20120109210723.jpg
.JPG | 73.9KB | 20120109210723.jpg
20120109210844.jpg
.JPG | 83.8KB | 20120109210844.jpg
20120109210751.jpg
.JPG | 68.7KB | 20120109210751.jpg

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”