House Plants

budster

Post by budster » Thu. Dec. 30, 2010 7:06 pm

all the house plants have started dying since I started burning coal a couple of weeks ago..to much heat?..CO gas?..I know my stove is not completely air tight..I can easily tell from the wood smoke when I start the coal fire..got 3 CO detectors..one on each floor of the house..they have never went off..anybody else ever have this problem?..
Last edited by budster on Thu. Dec. 30, 2010 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jpete
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Post by jpete » Thu. Dec. 30, 2010 7:20 pm

Too much heat, not enough water?

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Dec. 30, 2010 7:29 pm

If it's the coal it's side issue, my mother had all kinds of plants and no issues.

budster

Post by budster » Thu. Dec. 30, 2010 7:32 pm

jpete wrote:Too much heat, not enough water?
..possibly, I just started using a humidifier last week..they still seem to be on their way out..

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Thu. Dec. 30, 2010 7:36 pm

We have all kinds of plants in here ... and they get neglected quite a bit, but they've been kicking for quite a while. I couldn't tell you the names of any of them ... except for "CACTUS". :lol:

One of them I bought from Wal-Mart back in late '97 for my apartment. Gave it to grandma in '99 when I left for AZ .... then she gave it back to me when I bought my house in '03. Still kicking! :yes:

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Thu. Dec. 30, 2010 8:13 pm

budster wrote:all the house plants have started dying since I started burning coal a couple of weeks ago
ALL of them? How many, what kind of plants, and how long have you had them? If they were first-year plants, maybe it is just coincidence they are dying now. Did they spend the summer out of doors where they could pick up bugs?

budster

Post by budster » Thu. Dec. 30, 2010 8:30 pm

rberq wrote:
budster wrote:all the house plants have started dying since I started burning coal a couple of weeks ago
ALL of them? How many, what kind of plants, and how long have you had them? If they were first-year plants, maybe it is just coincidence they are dying now. Did they spend the summer out of doors where they could pick up bugs?
..I'm going out on a limb here, because they all belong to 'she who must be obeyed'..but here goes..one hibiscus plant, the leaves started dropping off..two lipstick plants that are fading fast (2 years old)..and a couple of smaller unknowns (to me)..never been outside..now admittedly they were sitting on the kitchen counter right in front of the five steps coming up from the family room where the stove is..they were catching the brunt of the rising heat..she has since moved the plants upstairs to the 3rd floor bedroom..we'll see..

heartofcoal

Post by heartofcoal » Thu. Dec. 30, 2010 9:01 pm

hello to everyone
This is my first reply to a post ever, anywhere!
My wife's been trying to pull me out of the 1970's but I refuse to go.
Well, I'm a pretty serious gardener so hopefully I can be helpful here.
It sounds to me like your plants are suffering from lack of humidity. This can cause all kinds of problems from diseases to mites.
I would definitely run a humidifier in the same room with your plants. Bottom water your plants rather than from the top until the soil on top is moist ( not wet)
Also, use a spray bottle and mist them at least once a week. Be careful though, some plants, like African violets hate to have their leaves wet and will die within a week
I found that out the hard way and had to explain myself to my wife.

Good luck and happy new year to all
Ray

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Thu. Dec. 30, 2010 9:02 pm

4 or 5 plants in the back room where the main heat duct comes up from the Keystoker, they grow fine! I have had one of them since 1987! and still haven't killed it.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”