Lighting Nut Coal

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Tue. Dec. 28, 2010 9:35 pm

I read somewhere something about leading a horse to water........ :whistle: :blah:

9 pages of advise....... :bang:

:out:

Rick

PC 12-47E
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Estate Heatrola, Jotul 507

Post by PC 12-47E » Tue. Dec. 28, 2010 9:42 pm

Rick 386 wrote:I read somewhere something about leading a horse to water........

9 pages of advise....... :bang:

Rick
This thread is ssooooooo OVER! :gee: :devil: bop2

Chuck_Steak
Coal Size/Type: mostly nut, sometimes stove, Santa brand

Post by Chuck_Steak » Tue. Dec. 28, 2010 9:49 pm

PC 12-47E wrote: This thread is ssooooooo OVER!
But it will be here for others to find in the future....:secret:

Dan

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Tue. Dec. 28, 2010 9:58 pm

We tried...
They just were not ready for an intervention...

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Tue. Dec. 28, 2010 10:09 pm

the empty stove here will take 120 lbs of coal to load it. thats 3 bags... now after that in the nasty cold wind it took 1.5 bags a day. that is in bag language. at hardware store prices thats 20 bucks to fill it and 9 bucks a day

so then with that knowledge progress goes to buying a big truck of the stuff, no bags, but a new shovel.

now its 9cents a pound so 10.80 to fill and 5.40 a day.... not to bad. 180 a month... my buddy has full electric house hmm

7-800 a month!! other house burns oil hmm 600 a month... wood is good but lets see my small stihl saw costs 350..

good oil and gas .....8 bucks.... log splitter....1800.....fuel for it....22.....real nice maul....38.....wedges....15

back plaster and ibuphrophen......9 couch time with sore back and everything to much :D

maybe easier to go to used furniture store and collect pallets??? ;)

Bear038

Post by Bear038 » Tue. Dec. 28, 2010 10:43 pm

So right, you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink.

My friend Jim was at the Westminster hay auction today and got two cord of split oak for $100. No one else was bidding on it. Offered me the two cords for 200, a great price for sure. I will stay with the coal. The technical challenge will not get the best of me. I will make the black rock do what I want! I think this may be kind of like training a cat. As long as you tell the cat to do what it wants to do, you look like an expert trainer. Coal seems the same, learn to tell it how to do what it does best, and you have a winner of a warm house.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Tue. Dec. 28, 2010 10:50 pm

Holy Cripes,Pocono Eagle.....I'm laughing so hard that my eyes are tearing up,I can hardly catch my breath,and from our"TMI Dept.",I think I just whizzed myself laughing at that dynamite bit of cyphering you did in that post. Oh God.....back plaster and ibuprofen.....Just to add to it,I've had it with coal too...Tonight me,the kids and the wife thought it was a great idea to start tossing old phone books into the snowblower with the discharge chute pointed right at the open stove door!,....Free,Easy And Outstanding ! I know I'm going to burn in hell for posting this,but I think it's "Therapeutic" to vent after this one.....OK,vent's over,bring on the next ill-prepared newbie ! :poke:

Rick 386

Post by Rick 386 » Tue. Dec. 28, 2010 11:15 pm

Poconoeagle wrote: <snip> ............maybe easier to go to used furniture store and collect pallets??? ;)
I remember reading about some NASCAR fans who would spend their "off" time searching yard sales for used furniture. They would use it at the track campground until the final night, then they would use it for their bonfire. Never had to haul it home and got the benefit multiple ways. :blowup:

Y' know a lot of members spent time here trying to help. And in only 2 days time, the coal "experiment" didn't work. Yet other members take a year or 2 to finally get their stove dialed in.

And we wonder why member "Sting" gets cynical at times ???????? :taz: bop2

:flush:

Rick

coldcoal

Post by coldcoal » Tue. Dec. 28, 2010 11:27 pm

Bear038 wrote:So right, you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink.

The technical challenge will not get the best of me. I will make the black rock do what I want! I think this may be kind of like training a cat. As long as you tell the cat to do what it wants to do, you look like an expert trainer. Coal seems the same, learn to tell it how to do what it does best, and you have a winner of a warm house.
Oh the technical? That's easy, shake more and add more coal. I've been warm all day, btw. Ya didn't think one unlit wood fire would stop me from making another 1 cold hour later, did ya? I mean c'mon! Here's the bed tonight as the new load was catching, it even came with a big eyed smiling green snake. Must be a sign.

My cat is trained! I mean I had to stay warm, and I had a couple bags left, so...
Sure I had to burn some old treated lumber to do it. (Ya don't really want to burn treated lumber, lol) Burns hot as hell though! Must be the arsenic.

I'm mostly wrestling with cost, but yeah like I said above if I can master it to 40 lbs a day it's only slightly more expensive than wood. The convenience might make that worth it, we'll see. I do like the fact I can drive 3 miles and get as many or few bags as I need at 5 bucks pop, that's a plus, we'll see how it all crunches out.

Bob, not an Arse at all, and I appreciate the concern on co detectors and barometers. Unsure what the last line meant as I have been burning wood in it for years, but I assume it's the lack of detectors and barometers raising the concern. Like they say though "life without risk..."

Rick!
:out:
Still here! And hey some of the 9 pages was my ranting and raving, some people thought that was fun to view!I do that sometimes when electrics might go off and there's no other heat, but once ya get to know me I'm only a little crazy. And the advice, and general good will toward man here, is good cause enough to try and make this work. I hate futile efforts as much as the next guy.

PC12, It ain't over til the blue lady snuffs!
(or something) :P

But yes I feel the thread probably ran its course, a few possible stray comments aside. For new viewers I feel it will prove to be immensely educational... and even inspiring in some small way. I think we have done well for future generations to come, rejoice in that my brothers and sisters.
:cheers:

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Tue. Dec. 28, 2010 11:38 pm

Thank goodness!!

there was a scare down at Eathan Alan and Raymour & Flannagan!!!

make it deep up to the top and in the spring grind up the stump-scrump into mulch! :)

coldcoal

Post by coldcoal » Tue. Dec. 28, 2010 11:43 pm

Poconoeagle wrote:
there was a scare down at Eathan Alan and Raymour & Flannagan!!!
Great one!

Yeah forget it, I almost have to burn coal now, have you seen what they say about you if you go!? :shock:

Just kidding, all good funny stuff! Idda said all the same, and worse, I'm sure.

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Tue. Dec. 28, 2010 11:53 pm

well with your post count over 25 its to late.... your a member now! :o

so show us a pic of the co detector soon :P 8-)

Rick 386

Post by Rick 386 » Wed. Dec. 29, 2010 2:38 pm

Soooooooooooooooooooooo,

Cold coal, how did you make out overnight ????? :hangover:

:smoke:

Rick

gerard

Post by gerard » Wed. Dec. 29, 2010 6:04 pm

I'll make a few points from my experience with both wood and coal. I use a dual fuel hot air furnace. I can burn oil, wood, or coal. Did wood one year. Used 10 face cords. Have a chute from my garage into my basement. Had to move all the wood by wheel barrow and dump down the chute into the basement. Had to tend the furnace and add wood about every 6-8 hours on average. Creosote condensed on the heat exchanger and I had to shut down and clean at least once per month, should have done it more frequently. Royal pain the butt. This is my third year on coal. While I still use oil during the transition in fall and spring, I would never go back to wood as it was a lot more work. I wouldn't use wood if I got it for free, (at least not in the furnace). Coal is just much less labor intensive. I get 12 hour burns and keep the house warmer. It may NOT be a lot cheaper than wood, probably a wash, but it's a LOT cheaper than oil and not too difficult once you get the hang of it.

If you're looking strictly for cost, you may not save much over wood but I don't know what you're heating that you can get by for a whole season with 2.5 cords. I used 10 cords of wood to my 3.5 tons of coal for a season. The no chimney fires or creosote buildup is just gravy!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Dec. 29, 2010 7:31 pm

gerard,are you talking face cord--I never heard of that till I came to NY--a cord is 4x4x8--not this sissy Ny face cord which breaks down to 1/3 of a grown up cord :lol:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”