Legs All the Way up to Here

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Wed. Dec. 22, 2010 6:44 am

Once upon a time I read that a stove sitting close to the floor will not heat as well as the same stove on longer legs. Legs 18 to 24 inches would be about right. Anybody else ever hear of that? Does it make any sense?

budster

Post by budster » Wed. Dec. 22, 2010 7:38 am

..wouldn't the manufacturers know best ??..I would think if it made that much of a difference they would implement that into their design..

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed. Dec. 22, 2010 8:53 am

I would guess that statement was made for better air circulation ??...not sure on this one ...
I do know that mine sets bought 5" off the floor on its legs.
The skirts on my Old Glenwood are where the air circulation comes from you can go out 5 or 6' from the stove and get readings on the infrared thermometer in the 110 degree rang on the concrete floor, now the floor isnt that hot but the air flowing across it is.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Dec. 22, 2010 9:50 am

Good question. Thinking about it, the air closest to the floor would normally be the coolest air in the room. Wouldn't a lower stove be more conducive to air circulation? It would heat the coolest air causing it to rise more rapidly?

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Wed. Dec. 22, 2010 9:54 am

HAHAHA time to cut through the ceiling and bolt my come-along to a beam. Then I could hoist the Monticello up and weld some 2 foot legs onto it! hahahhaha then I'll need a step stool to load it.

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Wed. Dec. 22, 2010 9:55 am

coaledsweat wrote:Good question. Thinking about it, the air closest to the floor would normally be the coolest air in the room. Wouldn't a lower stove be more conducive to air circulation? It would heat the coolest air causing it to rise more rapidly?
You beat me too it. I thoughts exactly.
Although I like long legs, they may not be appropriate on a coal stove. To easy to get burned :shock:

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed. Dec. 22, 2010 10:06 am

well said

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Wed. Dec. 22, 2010 9:02 pm

coaledsweat wrote:Good question. Thinking about it, the air closest to the floor would normally be the coolest air in the room. Wouldn't a lower stove be more conducive to air circulation? It would heat the coolest air causing it to rise more rapidly?
My thoughts too. I've never seen a stove with tall leggs.

ShawninNY

Post by ShawninNY » Wed. Dec. 22, 2010 9:14 pm

I added legs to the stove in my garage penn royal , much easier to shake down and load it had 5" legs now ash door is about 20" off the floor , the way it was you had to kneel to pull ash pan, posted pics under the heading(GAVE THE BEAST A BOOST) I don't know about air circulation but it's way easier on my back .

YZF1R

Post by YZF1R » Thu. Dec. 23, 2010 8:48 am

It may help with circulation somewhat and would be easier to tend. But also today’s homes don't generally have the high ceilings they had back in the day. I worry about the heat on my ceiling tile as it is. That's why I have fans on my stove. To help and diffuse the raw heated air coming off the stove going straight to the ceiling. I probably worry too much about things like that but it's just the way I am.

Steve

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Thu. Dec. 23, 2010 12:13 pm

YZF1R wrote:I probably worry too much about things like that but it's just the way I am.
I also worry too much about things like that. My curse is being married to one who worries not at all about things like that. Or maybe it's her curse to be married to one who worries too much .... :|

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Fri. Dec. 24, 2010 8:28 am

ShawninNY wrote:I added legs to the stove in my garage penn royal , much easier to shake down and load it had 5" legs now ash door is about 20" off the floor , the way it was you had to kneel to pull ash pan, posted pics under the heading(GAVE THE BEAST A BOOST) I don't know about air circulation but it's way easier on my back .
Yes, when I heated with the 50-93, I raised it up off the floor about 8 or 10 inches. That was for tending purposes only. There's a catch 22 to raising the 50-93 up in the air; It might be more comfortable for shaking & ashpan removal but, the bucket of coal has to be lifted that much higher in order to dump it in the top of the stove. Never gave that part a thought. That is, not till the next bucket of coal was dumped in. All in all; raising it up that 8 or 10 inches worked out good. Sure was happy I didn't raise it 20 inches.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”