Coal Stove Questions.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Sun. Mar. 06, 2011 8:16 am

I think that too often people compare just the cost of the fuel and not the entire cost of operation.

Case in point, comparing the cost of coal vs oil or gas is easy and straight forward.

However, factor in the cost of the electricity to operate the modern stoker stoves and the economic scale tilts much more favorably toward the hand-fed stoves.

Also, a hand-fed stove like a Glenwood is unaffected by power outages as they require no electricity whatsoever, nor can a motor or circuit board fail as they don't have any.

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Sun. Mar. 06, 2011 9:50 am

EarthWindandFire wrote:I think that too often people compare just the cost of the fuel and not the entire cost of operation.

Case in point, comparing the cost of coal vs oil or gas is easy and straight forward.

However, factor in the cost of the electricity to operate the modern stoker stoves and the economic scale tilts much more favorably toward the hand-fed stoves.

Also, a hand-fed stove like a Glenwood is unaffected by power outages as they require no electricity whatsoever, nor can a motor or circuit board fail as they don't have any.
Well, to be honest, I think some of the modern stokers are pretty awesome! Talk about having freedom of time to not worry about the fire in your stove heating your house! That being said, I think once I get the magazine into my stove, I'll be approaching the modern stoker as far as time between mandatory attention.

There are two things that your post makes me think of to add in here.

The first is the air circulation that happens with this old stove. It really "pumps" the air around almost as if it had a blower on it. Like I've said here many times, this old stove heats my entire house including the bedrooms that are at the end of a long narrow hallway. Now, they aren't as warm for sure as the main part of the house but they are how I like them. (If someone wants the far reaches of their house to be the same temperature as the main area of the house, then something more needs to be done...)

The second thing, is the silence of the stove. The only noise it makes is whatever sound is happening in the burning of the fire inside the stove, and that is mostly only after adding coal when stoking. More and more I am hating all the little "white noise" background that is everywhere. I don't even like the sound of the fan inside my computer that runs all the time the computer is on. I ran my oil furnace a couple times over the winter for a couple reasons, but each time I did, I was shocked at how much I have started to hate the sound of the blower. Now that's a quiet furnace, but once you start getting used to NO sound being around, that is like a major intrusion into your life...

dj

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Mar. 06, 2011 12:57 pm

EarthWindandFire wrote:I think that too often people compare just the cost of the fuel and not the entire cost of operation.

There is also the fact is that a Base Burner uses science and applies the natural physics of combustion and heat transfer to obtain efficiency levels untouched by any other stove design. This is done without the contrivances of forced draft, powered exhausts and other powered accessories, without which the other stove is useless.
You also have options in fuel sizes and types. A base heater can burn Nut or Stove sized coal or even wood if you have to. Any hand fired stove of any type has this advantage. A stoker is limited to one size of fuel and its availability. I'm sure these modern stoker stoves are marvels of convenience but I manage just fine without one.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 8:17 am

I was doing some digging on these base heaters and have a question. Can you burn bituminous in a base heater?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 8:21 am

F, take this to "using bit coal" FORUM, you'll get better response

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 9:12 am

Will do. Meanwhile I was searching for info on these stoves and this popped up. Looks like a good deal for someone up north east. If I was near I would sure be looking at it.

**Broken Link(S) Removed**

bobbyd

Post by bobbyd » Sat. Dec. 29, 2018 10:36 am

I have a question now :
Do the ornate base burner stoves with mica windows on 3 sides cut down on the heat output or efficiency of the stove . Or are those type of stoves more for looks?

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sat. Dec. 29, 2018 8:47 pm

The infra red range of the light spectrum passes through the windows so there's the potential for widows to increase the heat output. Efficiency is another issue entirely.

My stove isn't considered an antique base burner but the side of the fire is exposed to the widows. I took this IR picture in the dark and if you look closely you can see the IR illuminating the floor quite a few feet out from the stove.Image

Briharbeson
Baseburners & Antiques: Warren and fuller splendid oak 91

Post by Briharbeson » Sat. Aug. 14, 2021 10:04 pm

I’ve recently purchased an fuller and warren splendid oak 91 made in Troy New York I am new to stoves and am in process of trying to restore this beauty it’s in great shape as it is but could use a good shining and probably a coat of paint I think? Def a shine. Anyway can anyone tell me what the number 91 signifies? And I paid 500$ it has all its parts only prob is the mica is broke the glass I’ve been looking into replacing it. Should it be painted with high temp or will that deminish the value? Also I’d like to post some pics not quite sure how yet just registered but was curious if anyone could give me some ideas of price before and after restoration I here it’s kinda rare? Thanks everyone or anyone that could help me with any info possible!oh was also curious as to what year it’s from unles the 91 is 1891 not quite sure.

Wal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Deville 600 , Colombian stove works morning star nu22
Baseburners & Antiques: Red Cross garnet mica baseburner double heater
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite / smokeless ovoids
Other Heating: Gas central heating / antique cast iron radiators

Post by Wal » Tue. Aug. 17, 2021 6:51 am

Hi , Just thought I would put my opinion out there . I have owned 2 previous stoves , a esse dragon mk2 made in the 1970s but manufactured to look like a stove made at the turn of the century . Then bought a coalbrookdale Severn stove ( around 45years old ) The esse dragon had the look of the type of stove I liked , but had to be run really hot to get the rear of my house up to a comfortable temp . So I sold that I bought a coalbrookdale seven. This stove was built like a tank , thick cast iron , and although it was a square box it had two ornate style windows to view the fire 🔥. It burned both wood or coal or both together and had a large firebox it kept my house lovely and warm but needed tending every 4 hrs or so to manually feed coal or logs . As anyone who has read my threads will know I’ve always wanted a baseburner but living in the uk they simply aren’t available and the cost to crate, ship , import duty and vat made it so expensive that you were Paying the cost of the stove again in transportation costs ! So I was lucky that a member suggested a dealer in Europe who had these beautiful antique stoves for sale . Long story short bought a mica baseburner double heater from him and he drove with his son from the Netherlands to the uk to deliver it ! Unbelievable service and two great blokes . Anyway that was around 12 months ago and I had all winter two play with the stove to get the best settings for temp / fuel efficiency etc . I can honestly say it’s a fantastic stove , it produces lots of heat, both radiant and from the grill outlet a constant stream of warm air . It will run for 24 hrs before I empty the ashpan , and I couldn’t be happier burns around 40/ 45 lbs over 24hrs at a constant temp of around 550/ 600 . I love antiques and my house some would say is old fashioned, but I love things made in the Victorian time , as then quality really meant that , these stoves were at the forefront of coal burning technology and for me my stove fits perfectly in with everything else in my home . I think like most things in life it’s a choice , if your home is modern then I’m sure there are many new stoves that would suit your style of home , if however like probably the majority of owners of antique stoves love the look of these stoves and it fits in with there homes then buy a antique stove from a reputable dealer,or one of the members of this forum who restores antique stoves . For me buying my baseburner was a dream come true , and I have never regretted that decision. Here are a couple of pics of my previous stoves and my baseburner

Attachments

1DC1B965-72D0-4A94-A63B-DB959E80C719.jpeg
.JPEG | 721KB | 1DC1B965-72D0-4A94-A63B-DB959E80C719.jpeg

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Sun. Aug. 22, 2021 8:06 pm

fig wrote:
Wed. Mar. 02, 2016 8:17 am
I was doing some digging on these base heaters and have a question. Can you burn bituminous in a base heater?
It is my understanding that all the controls on the fine old base burners allowed bit coal too (if you live near a mine). You must use much less air in for bit, or it will melt the stove.

charlesosborne2002

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Sun. Aug. 22, 2021 8:18 pm

Scottsman wrote:
Thu. Mar. 03, 2011 7:53 pm
Let me resurrect this thread. I'm thinking of going really way back in style and getting a Glenwood or Round Oak or something like that because they look awesome, and I don't mind putting the time in to restore one. There's only three questions holding me back:
1) Are they efficient? I don't want to burn a whole lot of extra coal every year. I had an Alaska Kodiak handfired that wasn't pretty, but it was efficent.
2) Can they get a long burn--like 14 hours?
3) Can you get enough heat out of them? I have a 2,600 sq. foot drafty house. It is a challenge.
I only have 1000 sq ft and my medium cast iron Vigilant 2 does very well. It holds 50 pounds of coal and I top it off every twelve hours (it would stay lit longer). If I had 2600 drafty sq ft, I would get two stoves, one of them large. Or a coal furnace if that can be arranged.

charlesosborne2002

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Sun. Aug. 22, 2021 8:24 pm

Wal wrote:
Tue. Aug. 17, 2021 6:51 am
Hi , Just thought I would put my opinion out there . I have owned 2 previous stoves , a esse dragon mk2 made in the 1970s but manufactured to look like a stove made at the turn of the century . Then bought a coalbrookdale Severn stove ( around 45years old ) The esse dragon had the look of the type of stove I liked , but had to be run really hot to get the rear of my house up to a comfortable temp . So I sold that I bought a coalbrookdale seven. This stove was built like a tank , thick cast iron , and although it was a square box it had two ornate style windows to view the fire 🔥. It burned both wood or coal or both together and had a large firebox it kept my house lovely and warm but needed tending every 4 hrs or so to manually feed coal or logs . As anyone who has read my threads will know I’ve always wanted a baseburner but living in the uk they simply aren’t available and the cost to crate, ship , import duty and vat made it so expensive that you were Paying the cost of the stove again in transportation costs ! So I was lucky that a member suggested a dealer in Europe who had these beautiful antique stoves for sale . Long story short bought a mica baseburner double heater from him and he drove with his son from the Netherlands to the uk to deliver it ! Unbelievable service and two great blokes . Anyway that was around 12 months ago and I had all winter two play with the stove to get the best settings for temp / fuel efficiency etc . I can honestly say it’s a fantastic stove , it produces lots of heat, both radiant and from the grill outlet a constant stream of warm air . It will run for 24 hrs before I empty the ashpan , and I couldn’t be happier burns around 40/ 45 lbs over 24hrs at a constant temp of around 550/ 600 . I love antiques and my house some would say is old fashioned, but I love things made in the Victorian time , as then quality really meant that , these stoves were at the forefront of coal burning technology and for me my stove fits perfectly in with everything else in my home . I think like most things in life it’s a choice , if your home is modern then I’m sure there are many new stoves that would suit your style of home , if however like probably the majority of owners of antique stoves love the look of these stoves and it fits in with there homes then buy a antique stove from a reputable dealer,or one of the members of this forum who restores antique stoves . For me buying my baseburner was a dream come true , and I have never regretted that decision. Here are a couple of pics of my previous stoves and my baseburner
Wal, your info on UK was interesting. Isn't coal there all bituminous, and are there restrictions about using it? Here the manufacture is regulated, but the use is not (except in a few local areas).

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sun. Aug. 22, 2021 9:24 pm

Very good bit burning antiques are the Florance Hot Blasts models 55,75,77,53,153,155. Cole's hot blasts in different sizes. Radiant Home's Forced drafts and Air Blasts in different model numbers. Moore's 3-ways, 401,402,403. Any Warm Morning of any model number. Or something with "blast" in its name.

NO Bituminous in a baseburner, unless it is cooked down to the "coke stage" first.

You could get away with a Round Oak or a Glenwood, but performance will be lacking.
Like putting diesel fuel in a gas motor.

Most any stove with "blast" in the name.

charlesosborne2002

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Sun. Aug. 22, 2021 11:12 pm

mntbugy wrote:
Sun. Aug. 22, 2021 9:24 pm
Very good bit burning antiques are the Florance Hot Blasts models 55,75,77,53,153,155. Cole's hot blasts in different sizes. Radiant Home's Forced drafts and Air Blasts in different model numbers. Moore's 3-ways, 401,402,403. Any Warm Morning of any model number. Or something with "blast" in its name.

NO Bituminous in a baseburner, unless it is cooked down to the "coke stage" first.

You could get away with a Round Oak or a Glenwood, but performance will be lacking.
Like putting diesel fuel in a gas motor.

Most any stove with "blast" in the name.
Sorry, my mistake. My Vigilant comes from the factory set for bit coal. To burn anthracite, you just remove a plate that covers part of the air intake tube--anthra needs much more air, but bit would overheat with that much air. A warning plate comes with it when set for anthra coal, so the warning is on the front. (The air intake never seals completely, so with the plate removed, too much air gets in for bit coal regardless of the thermostat setting.)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”