Them Old Engineers

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri. Dec. 10, 2010 8:18 am

Well I have been enjoying my Glenwood for some weeks now and it is still purrin away on its first match, shop is as toasty as I want to make it by flicking the primaries open a bit, heck it is 18 outside and shop is WARM AS TOAST.
But anyway to get to the topic....The Old Timers had something RIGHT in the desighn of these old stoves when the put the skirts on right at the top of the fire pot and the one at the top of the fire tube .
THEY REALLY DO MAKE THE UNIT CIRCULATE HEAT!...you can feel it !
I was just checkin mine from bought 12 ft. away with my infrared thermometer......and just by accident let it shoot towards the floor...I WAS SHOCKED!
at the stove the concrete foor is showing 93..ya go away from the stove 5/6ft. the floor is showin 113 degrees ...now I know the floor isnt that warm!.....it is the heat current being circulated from under the fire pot skirt, and you can feel it push across the floor and it is NICE EVEN HEAT!
I guess the guys with nothin but a Vision and DECADES of real life expierience desighning these stoves ...figured it out ..without a Slide Rule, Computer, Infrared Heat Video, etc ......lol
Hats off to the Old School!!! :D
Tim

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Fri. Dec. 10, 2010 8:31 am

Most likely trail & error, try something & if it doesn`t give you the results you want modify it. Don`t forget back then these guys & gals were brought up doing for themselves if it broke they found a way to fix it. Not like the throw away society of today.

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri. Dec. 10, 2010 8:51 am

Well said Sam!

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Dec. 10, 2010 9:04 am

HI, I approve all you said. But the things I don't understand is that: where are the new persons able to continue that tradition of nice and efficient coal stoves? Not necessary engeneers, bright persons can make bright things without a doctorat. Maybe I miss something?
With all the advantages of anthracite burning, THE STOVE OF OUR DREAMS should be here . Maybe anthracite burning is like these old and nice coal stoves: something of the past?

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri. Dec. 10, 2010 9:22 am

nortcam,
I would just guess that to cast an make stoves today like they did "BACK IN THE DAY"...would not be profitable.
Just too much work was involved and would make the initial purchase price NON COMPETITIVE..as Folks can buy a box stove just welded up and makin heat ..for 1/3 less or better in initial cost outweighs the look and function of the stoves our Grandfathers made.
I Really do not think there will ever be anyone to reproduce em ...as the cost would not make it a sound venture.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Dec. 10, 2010 9:52 am

Ya see,everybody is not all that attracted to the old design parlor stoves,yep,they're pretty,but I'd match my Hitzer against any Chubby as far as function goes in my particular house setting--I know that Hitzer makes alot of add-on cosmetic stuff for their stoves & offers different colors--one mans old box is anothers good looking, functional dream machine--I don't see many really pretty boiler systems,but that all is in the eyes of the beholder---I guess my problem is that I'm not a salesman oriented type of personality--I would show a person several options to a situation & let them make up their own mind & leave it be at that---the dream stove??? I think all of us that burn coal have thoughts about more efficiancy & hopefully something that would be economically sound. As of late it seems that I'm reading too much on here about buy this,buy that. American ingenuity is an outstanding,don't let it go by the wayside---IOF---tighten your house up--good Lord,an old burlap bag will cover a window,if it's that big of a deal :lol: ---Oh well--thanks for listening to me rant--I feel much better ;) ---PS I had an old parlor stove in my 1600 sq log cabin in VT & it worked perfectly (wood) it would go for 8-10 hrs---one thing I've learned on here is that 90% of the time--it's not the stove--it's the operator--use the vast amount of knowledge available on here & put it into use---PSS--I know from talking to the guys at Hitzer,that they put pride & knowledge learned into their stoves

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Dec. 11, 2010 4:02 am

Tim wrote:Well I have been enjoying my Glenwood for some weeks now and it is still purrin away on its first match, shop is as toasty as I want to make it by flicking the primaries open a bit, heck it is 18 outside and shop is WARM AS TOAST.
But anyway to get to the topic....The Old Timers had something RIGHT in the desighn of these old stoves when the put the skirts on right at the top of the fire pot and the one at the top of the fire tube .
THEY REALLY DO MAKE THE UNIT CIRCULATE HEAT!...you can feel it !
I was just checkin mine from bought 12 ft. away with my infrared thermometer......and just by accident let it shoot towards the floor...I WAS SHOCKED!
at the stove the concrete foor is showing 93..ya go away from the stove 5/6ft. the floor is showin 113 degrees ...now I know the floor isnt that warm!.....it is the heat current being circulated from under the fire pot skirt, and you can feel it push across the floor and it is NICE EVEN HEAT!
I guess the guys with nothin but a Vision and DECADES of real life expierience desighning these stoves ...figured it out ..without a Slide Rule, Computer, Infrared Heat Video, etc ......lol
Hats off to the Old School!!! :D
Tim
Here here, well said, Tim. I neve measured the heat from my stove like that, but; I can really feel the current of heat flowing from under the skirt. It makes a real differance in how the heat is distributed.

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Dec. 11, 2010 6:54 pm

freetown fred wrote:Ya see,everybody is not all that attracted to the old design parlor stoves,yep,they're pretty,but I'd match my Hitzer against any Chubby as far as function goes in my particular house setting--I know that Hitzer makes alot of add-on cosmetic stuff for their stoves & offers different colors--one mans old box is anothers good looking, functional dream machine--I don't see many really pretty boiler systems,but that all is in the eyes of the beholder---I guess my problem is that I'm not a salesman oriented type of personality--I would show a person several options to a situation & let them make up their own mind & leave it be at that---the dream stove??? I think all of us that burn coal have thoughts about more efficiancy & hopefully something that would be economically sound. As of late it seems that I'm reading too much on here about buy this,buy that. American ingenuity is an outstanding,don't let it go by the wayside---IOF---tighten your house up--good Lord,an old burlap bag will cover a window,if it's that big of a deal :lol: ---Oh well--thanks for listening to me rant--I feel much better ;) ---PS I had an old parlor stove in my 1600 sq log cabin in VT & it worked perfectly (wood) it would go for 8-10 hrs---one thing I've learned on here is that 90% of the time--it's not the stove--it's the operator--use the vast amount of knowledge available on here & put it into use---PSS--I know from talking to the guys at Hitzer,that they put pride & knowledge learned into their stoves
And everybody doesn't want a plain box in their living room either. You are exactly right about putting out plenty of information so others can make a decision about what they want to buy. I agree wholeheartedly with that, however; when information about an excellent stove is posted that isn't a box, or isn't brand new, why the challenge? Why be defensive? When I joined this forum there was virtually NO information about anything but new box stoves here. Someone who wanted information about coal stoves would assume that these were all that is available. Now as you say, it's only fair that every thing available be presented for those who want to learn about, then decide what kind of stove they may want or need. Now people are finding out about stoves other than a box and finding that they are efficient, functional and brilliantly designed and not just old, quaint pieces for display or to look down upon. If you want a new stove fine. If you are happy with its performance and appearance fine. Others may not find their appearance or performance satisfacatory and that's fine too. When others post about how much they like their box stove whatever brand it is and talk about how it performs or display their pride in it; I never see any posts that question or challenge their opinions or observations. But if and when the concept, "why that's an antique so it's not comparable so it doesn't count," comes up; expect a rebuttal, not in anger,but; in friend ship and honest discussion. And I can agree also that many times it's not the machine it's the operator that's at fault when there is a problem.
Last edited by wsherrick on Sat. Dec. 11, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Dec. 11, 2010 7:19 pm

I could of sworn that I stated that I had a parlor stove & was very satisfied with it's performance--also didn't see anything about a challange,nor was I trying to sound defensive--about what??--just that I would match stove for stove (hand fired)performance wise--I also stated that those boxes,as you refered to them as offer alot of cosmetic options for individual taste--but I've gotta say that your post more or less proves a point. william,enjoy the season my friend :)

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Dec. 11, 2010 8:13 pm

freetown fred wrote:I could of sworn that I stated that I had a parlor stove & was very satisfied with it's performance--also didn't see anything about a challange,nor was I trying to sound defensive--about what??--just that I would match stove for stove (hand fired)performance wise--I also stated that those boxes,as you refered to them as offer alot of cosmetic options for individual taste--but I've gotta say that your post more or less proves a point. william,enjoy the season my friend :)
Sometimes I try to nail a thumbtack with sledge hammer. I was trying to make a general point, none of what I say is ever meant to be taken specifically or personally. So in the Spirit of the Holiday-May Santa leave you a whole bunch of coal for Christmas. ;)

Tim

Post by Tim » Sat. Dec. 11, 2010 11:15 pm

Well to start I did not wish to start a debate when posting this topic.
I am just trying to get information out there from a real world user of an Antique Stove made 111 yrs. ago.
I am trying to post truthful observations and expieriences I am ecountering using this pc. of American Heritage.
Currently my fire is from the first match I lit on day 1 and I have no problems heating my 28X48 shop with this antique.
I have looked long and hard and there is VERY LITTLE INFO. out there on these old stoves so I was just trying to get some out there for folks to make an educated purchase, I personally was ready to buy a Harman hand fed before watching Williams video's describing the inner and outter workings of the Glenwood stoves, it was Glenwoods grate system that SOLD ME!...and the fact that it is a beautiful pc. of hand crafted Americana.
That is why I love this site, I could have made a purchase of a modern stove that would work and I would have been happy with but an alternative was brought to my attention and after some research I was able to make an educated decision and purchased my Glenwood wich I now know in my heart is what I REALLY WANTED and I am truly happy with :D .
ITS ALL BOUGHT EDUCATION HERE...or there would be NO NEED for this forum.
Everyone has there likes and dislikes I am posting my observations so that others have that same chance to have all the information they can get before spending there hard earned money and maybe look over an old stove just because they don't have anything to compare to.
Thanks,
Tim

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Dec. 11, 2010 11:20 pm

Oh well, us grumpy old railroad engineers are a bunch of trouble makers. :D

Attachments

WilliamAtTheThrottle.jpg

William At The Throttle

.JPG | 56.6KB | WilliamAtTheThrottle.jpg

Tim

Post by Tim » Sat. Dec. 11, 2010 11:30 pm

Great Pic Will!!!!....ya look like a happy fella. :D

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sun. Dec. 12, 2010 12:10 am

Not to stir up another can of worms here ... but Nortcan is right: the stove of our dreams SHOULD be here. Why isn't it?

Back a few centuries ago, people in America had a nation that allowed them personal freedom -- something that at the time was hard to come by. You had royalty .... and everything else was beneath. Everyone fit into a mold. You were brought up to do one thing ... and you did it until the day you died. Then, America happened .... and the rest is history.

Is it any wonder that we had invention after invention ... INGENIOUS inventions ... one after the other for about 150 years? People from all over the world flocked here. People who had lived in the "mold", had come to America and now had personal freedom -- something that no one had ever experienced before in history. With that kind of freedom to think outside the box, it's no wonder we were the leaders in innovation for 100+ years. Not having to worry if your home was going to be invaded by the government, & your wife & children pillaged while you were out making a living .... wow! Can you imagine having to worry about all that, and then finding a land where that all went away? Must've been a hell of a feeling.

What happened? Personally, I think we've had it so good, for so long, that the real feeling of freedom has been taken for granted ... and been replaced with complacency ... and even worse ... greed. No one fears repercussions for their actions, so why not sell out to the lowest bidder, at the poorest quality, in order to line ones pockets? After all .. who cares? It's about ME!

We went from total freedom, to a regulated, legislated, restricted, & completely governed society. Is it any wonder we are where we are now? There are a few .. a handful .. of companies that have ethics (like Leisure Line, and MR1Precisions machine shop), but they are a dying breed. How much innovation has come out of communist Russia in the last 150 years? There you go.

As you might have guessed, this isn't just about coal stoves -- it's about everything. Cars, dishwashers, televisions ... we've been pushed into 4th place while the rest of the world picks up the slack. Not by our own doing .. but I believe by the governments taxes & regulations. How can we compete with anyone with the regulations in place? Now before you lefties say, "so you want us to dump nuclear waste into the bay???" NO -- but we need the gov't to BACK OFF a bit ... and offer INCENTIVE for companies, foreign or domestic, to do business here. The way we're going, the future is more bleak than ever.

Sorry to be such a downer, but facts is facts, as they say. :(

buck24
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Post by buck24 » Sun. Dec. 12, 2010 12:37 am

SMITTY, well said. Myself and probably 90% of the people in this great country of ours would be in agreement with you. The other 10% :?: :?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”