Them Old Engineers

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Sun. Dec. 12, 2010 7:46 am

Heck Smitty, even I`m in agreement on that one, see things are looking up already.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Dec. 12, 2010 9:22 am

outstanding SMITTY :) Hey,William,Us old guys need something to keep our hearts thumpin--great pic ;)

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Dec. 12, 2010 9:54 am

Hi, when I was talking of old stoves I was referring mainly to the high tech. of these stoves. The look was also very good and they were efficient(dont know if they all were???). an ex. is the internal damper which send gases in a very long path so the heat is radiated in the house and not in the chimney. The form was probably mainly for a practical reason. In the past the round stoves wood or coal were placed as much as possible in the center of the large places: schools, general strores, railway stations...They could be smaller in diameter and taller than a square stove having the same output.
But the stove efficiency can be as good in a square stove as in a round one if it is well made. A square stove is easier to place in front of a wall in small places...
For the cost for making THE stove, I think there are ways to make it and with reasonable prices. Yes it would be more expensive than a used stove but it could compare with new wood stoves or wood pellets stoves. But not comparable with them for all what Anthracite burning could and would be with THE stove.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Dec. 12, 2010 10:18 am

I don't think anybody is going to argue about all that nortcan--you know what's funny??before,when common sense is what was used to design these early,parlor type stoves,the priceing was pretty reasonable.Then someone decided to change the term "common sense" to "high tech" & the prices skyrocketed---also,remember,people heating with the old parlor stoves in a,say, 2500 sq house of the time,didn't need it at 70*---hay or straw or newspapers for insulation--ahhhhh,who knows. Maybe someday,someone will produce what is being discussed here with efficiency & economics in mind--have a real good holiday season my young friend---I still remember our local general store where I grew up having an old nail barrel with a checker board on it & the old farmers during the winter sitting around it swapping lies & playing checkers--yep,in the middle of the store ;)

Duengeon master
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

Post by Duengeon master » Sun. Dec. 12, 2010 3:46 pm

Very well said Smitty. A good reply to that is no lets move it to china it's out of the way The pollution over there can't possibly make it's way over here. :roll:

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Dec. 12, 2010 4:31 pm

Hi, One thing to consider could be to ask from where the Asiatic problem comes from? Maybe it comes from each of us, Americans including Canadians. Japan is a foreing country and how many things do we have from them? Even Japan have a lot of supplyers in China. If all Americans could drive an American vehicule it would be a good start for a changement instead of blaming other countrys...and stop to be proud to drive an oversea vehicule.
We all have the choice: take the train or look at the train passing by. If there is no train,we should make one or buy one from???

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Sun. Dec. 12, 2010 5:26 pm

Two thoughts -

1. Isn't some of this really a reflection of changes in the world? A lot of us grew up in a world where the industrial capacity of many countries had been literally or effectively destroyed by wars. For many industries, there just wasn't a lot of foreign competition - e.g., I don't think there were many Hondas or Toyotas here in the '50's, or Kias or Hyundais in the '60's. Now, it's been a long time since industrial powers blew each other up that way, and transportation innovations like containerships and doublestack rail movements have made is economically viable to move many goods globally. To some extent, are we just needing to adapt to life in a more competitive world?

2. From the discussion on the first page, can you Manly Men please explain to a Girlie Man why you spend so much time figuring out how hot it is under each others' skirts?

Thanks.

Mike

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Dec. 12, 2010 5:47 pm

Now that was funny toothy

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon. Dec. 13, 2010 1:01 am

Mike,
Must come from my days in grade school when the school was a 3 story building and everyone used the outside firescape to go to recess....well young fellas that took up a perch under the the open metal grate stairs got lottsa UNDER SKIRT views ..hey I was 12....LMAO.
But then again maybe that is why my knuckles are showing arthritis now ...The Teachers back then loved to WHACK YA ACROSS THE KNUCKLES WITH A WOODEN RULER for playin under the fire escape!....HEHEHEHEHEHEHE...OUCH!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”