Carbon Monoxide Alarm!

abaton6

Post by abaton6 » Mon. Nov. 29, 2010 3:48 am

0330, beep beep beep beep. My chuby stove set off the CO alarm! The stove was out, but still kind of warm. I had it running most of the day with no problems. It has a baro damper, and black pipe inside, connecting to a metalbestos thimble through the wall, then about a 10" rise with cap. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanx

Ken, Vermont

jeromemsn
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker 90 dvc
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman elite fireplace insert

Post by jeromemsn » Mon. Nov. 29, 2010 4:21 am

Did it burn all the coal? If so then most likely it set the co meter off because of poor draft since there was no heat rising.

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Mon. Nov. 29, 2010 5:30 am

I agree. What were the outside conditions? I see you are in Vermont so I think it is probably cold enough for a draft :) but was there a low pressure zone passing through. Low draft and outside conditions will make it hard to hold what draft you have. About the only thing you can do is watch the stove and open the air vent as wide as possible. I put a piece of foil over my baro so that the entire draft is pulling from under the fire, too. Do you have a stove front thermometer? That will help tell you if you have a fire burning at all; no heat producing fire, no draft so what toxic gases are being produced seep back into your living space. Do you have a baro? A reading on that will tell you just how low your draft is and you can go from there. Good Luck, Lisa

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Nov. 29, 2010 6:04 am

Sounds like you lost your draft, if the stove was nearly out, there was problaby still a few burning underneath, and it may have leaked out your baro or vents.

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Mon. Nov. 29, 2010 8:16 am

You ment to say 10 ft rise? or is it only 10 ". is the chimney higher than the roof?

abaton6

Post by abaton6 » Mon. Nov. 29, 2010 8:43 am

Yes, the chimney is a 10 foot rise. And it is about 7 feet higher than the roof. The coal was not burned, it just went out. I had the baro adjusted all the way out, ( ccw ), as instructed. Also,. I had the window just behind the stove open a crack all day, with no problems. I closed it when I went to bed.

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Mon. Nov. 29, 2010 8:56 am

Well it sounds like if you had the weight on the baro all the way out , then the baro was mostly open and thus the chimney was drawing all the air from it instead of thru the fire..

without air thru the fire, could have the coal burning just slowed down and died.... :?: ;)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”